[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would Silovs agree to a two way deal for $300k?  He's an RFA who can be offer sheeted.  There are teams out there who might pay him $2 million per to be their starter, or at least a 1B backup...

While I tend to agree with this, the likelihood of this happening is low not vanishingly low but low. One in red if made and accepted, the Canucks would match in a heartbeat and the other team will have a bit of a target on their back. The ones in green if happened, the Canucks would take the compensation without batting an eyelash so that ain't happening. The one in orange while not out of the realm of possibility is highly unlikely (hey Holland is still the Coilers GM for a few more days) but if done Canucks would take the compensation again without batting an eyelash. 

So that leaves the other two likely scenarios. I would submit the higher one the Canucks would take the compensation after some thought and the lower one would have to have a serious think about whether to match of not. I don't think an offer sheet would happen. 

EDIT: if I grabbed an out of date table, the current one would be similar and same argument would hold.

Offer Sheet (AAV)   Compensation
$1,339,575 or below None
Over $1,339,575 to $2,029,59           3rd
Over $2,029,59 to $4,059,322 2nd
Over $4,059,322 to $6,088,980 1st, 3rd
Over $6,088,980 to $8,118,641 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302 (2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Over $10,148,302 (4) 1st
Edited by Rocket-68

3 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

That's revisionist history based on the results of those seasons. We were trying to do the same thing we're doing now with the exception of Pettersson's first year in the NHL. Benning was just worse at it. Why would you sign a 6x6 mil contract that's buyout proof with an older player like Eriksson if you weren't contending? Why would you sign older bottom-six players like Roussel and Beagle to 4 year contracts if you weren't contending and potentially mess up the cap when one would be contending? 

Bullcrap.

Benning always said he wanted to be playing meaningful games in March not May. The only time he mentioned contending was right before he got fired. He said that the following year was when he expected to start. Who knows what he had planned.

He wanted to push the guys and not be total bottom feeders as teams like that sometimes stay like that longer because of player apathy.

The vet signings were so that our younger guys were somewhat sheltered. They were the PK match up guys.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • Wiener 1

happy to see him back, and the contract is good if he plays up to the standard he set last year. 

any regression though and it'll look a bit ugly. but that's free agency. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Excellent news. Hopefully Z gets extended. If they can land Brendan Dillon if Myers goes to market, Brandon Duhaime, and a top 6 winger things are looking good. 

Hughes

Zadorov

Dillon

Soucy

Are all lefty's and Soucy on the right side hasn't really been a desire to do by Foote or Tocchet

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just love this look for all the media insiders saying he was gone and teams would be lining up to give him 4+ mil. 🤣

This isn’t exactly a discount at all but it’s a fair price and if he finds another level could look really good right away.

Im pleasantly surprised that he wasn’t all about the money though. This kinda of buy in from these guys tells me they believe there’s something special building with this team.

His post game he was buzzing about wanting to stay too he clearly loves it here

We are the team that believed in him and gave him the environment and coaching to succeed its a good look for the org too

I am going to believe he can take another step forward to this contract in the next two years he could be an even more impactful player providing surplus value on this deal

Edited by R3aL
by post game I mean exit interviews lol
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, R3aL said:

Hughes

Zadorov

Dillon

Soucy

Are all lefty's and Soucy on the right side hasn't really been a desire to do by Foote or Tocchet

Hakanpaa Zadorov and Myers. 

Let’s fill the rest with giants. 

2nd and 3rd pair will be all 6’5” or taller. 

Probably can only really afford Zad and one of the others if we want a decent forward with Petey. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

happy to see him back, and the contract is good if he plays up to the standard he set last year. 

any regression though and it'll look a bit ugly. but that's free agency. 

He knows what to expect from Tocchet now. I doubt he comes into camp not in the best shape possibleS

Also having that built in chemistry means he can hit the ground running. Hopefully he can be even better this season.

• Like 1

This is a smart move by OG Joshua. He'll get some money now and if he continues to improve he can get a bigger pay day later at 32. By that time hopefully Joshua 2.0 will be ready.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hakanpaa Zadorov and Myers. 

Let’s fill the rest with giants. 

2nd and 3rd pair will be all 6’5” or taller. 

Probably can only really afford Zad and one of the others if we want a decent forward with Petey. 

I think thats not possible with Guentzel but possible with a Toffoli option tier

But Dillon Hakanpaa Myers probably possible with Guentzel

Last year Tocchet ripped Joshua for not coming into camp in shape.  Assuming he’s learned his lesson, no reason to believe he won’t maintain or improve on last year.  If so, what a bargain to keep some serious stiffness and scoring pop in the lineup. (Plus a great playoffs, too.)

• Like 2

Just now, R3aL said:

I think thats not possible with Guentzel but possible with a Toffoli option tier

But Dillon Hakanpaa Myers probably possible with Guentzel

Would be nice to have a giant D-core. 

With Joshua signing I think we may move on from Guentzel. We had to save cap in the bottom 6 for it as it wouldn’t make sense to save cap from our D-core to sign Guentzel. 

We have roughly 16M in cap. 

• Vintage 1

Conscience you coward. If you don't have the courage to challenge my opinions then quit stalking me and giving me a negative emoji reactions. Cowardly bullcrap.

• chaos 1