[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

2 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I could see them adding Zucker and Arvidsson instead of Guentzel and loading up the D

Me too, though I'd prefer Duclair in that forward mix.  Management seems to be giving Lekkerimaki a verbal chance of making the team out of camp, and while I doubt it, a mid-season arrival seems at least possible.  In which case, yeah, load up the D.

• Cheers 1

Dak got off to a slow start for about the first two months of the season, but got stronger as the season went on.

Dak's first 24 games of regular season

3 goals

3 assists

6 points

+4

81 hits

Dak's final 52 games of season (playoffs included)

19 goals

15 assists

34 points

+16

238 hits

If he keeps working hard I definitely think he can improve on his 32 point performance from last season.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just love this look for all the media insiders saying he was gone and teams would be lining up to give him 4+ mil. 🤣

This isn’t exactly a discount at all but it’s a fair price and if he finds another level could look really good right away.

Im pleasantly surprised that he wasn’t all about the money though. This kinda of buy in from these guys tells me they believe there’s something special building with this team.

Discount or not, it’s not hard to imagine the hysteric hue and cry if DJ had signed this contract with anybody else. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Agree with most this is pretty fair deal - he brings a nice physical element to the club (like Zadorov) and can chip in with some timely goals.

Based on his 3.25M -> hopefully be able to continue producing 30+ points in a full season ( he had 32pts/64g last year).  Would also like to see him on the PP as a net front presence next year as well.  Now on to some of their other free agents....

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would be nice to have a giant D-core. 

With Joshua signing I think we may move on from Guentzel. We had to save cap in the bottom 6 for it as it wouldn’t make sense to save cap from our D-core to sign Guentzel. 

We have roughly 16M in cap. 

I dont know it might be possible.

They've won cups with value back ends before

Again, imagine Joshua played on another team and we admired his talents as we do. Management just offloaded Mik and a second to aquire Joshua and a fourth. Holy crap! That's tidy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

When the Canucks season ended, my priorities for re-signing were Zadorov, DJ and Blueger....I'm hoping that PA is just working through them backwards.... If they can get Z done, (and hopefully Myers at a discount) I'll be happy with this offseason. (Provided Alf doesn't convince PA to trade Garland)

BTW: I'm on record as not wanting to sign Guentzel or Tanev. I like both as players, but I think both of those contracts will be albatrosses in a few years. I do however, like the idea of picking up another large defenseman, like Hakaanpa, or Joel Edmunson, provided we can do so without breaking the bank.

• Vintage 2

Just now, RupertKBD said:

When the Canucks season ended, my priorities for re-signing were Zadorov, DJ and Blueger....I'm hoping that PA is just working through them backwards.... If they can get Z done, (and hopefully Myers at a discount) I'll be happy with this offseason. (Provided Alf doesn't convince PA to trade Garland)

BTW: I'm on record as not wanting to sign Guentzel or Tanev. I like both as players, but I think both of those contracts will be albatrosses in a few years. I do however, like the idea of picking up another large defenseman, like Hakaanpa, or Joel Edmunson, provided we can do so without breaking the bank.

There’s no way they don’t sign or trade for a top 6.

Bringing everyone back and losing Kuzmenko and Lindholm does not improve this roster.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I dont know it might be possible.

They've won cups with value back ends before

I'm not even sure I call it 100% value; its pretty darn good. It would be the same group as last year, except Juulsen in place of Cole (could even see Cole coming back at 1m for 2 years for vet depth and split time with Juulsen).

So... Zad at 4.75m for 6 years and Myers 3m for 2 years = 7.75m. That would leave 8.25m for Guentzel or whatever else they choose to do in Top 6.

The only negative is we would not be able to get a LT D upgrade in FA, which I am okay with. WE need to realize we actually have some good dev players that will be pushing for spots in a couple years (when Myers would be done. Any big signings simply limit the ability to promote within.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Me too, though I'd prefer Duclair in that forward mix.  Management seems to be giving Lekkerimaki a verbal chance of making the team out of camp, and while I doubt it, a mid-season arrival seems at least possible.  In which case, yeah, load up the D.

I agree id rather shop at the discount rack with guys like duclair, bertuzzi or debrusk rather than get the mega big fish

9 minutes ago, Sojuboytellem said:

I mean I’d assume now that these contracts are taken care of we’d be working towards Z and hopefully Lindholm 🙏🏼

Really need to focus on extending or preparing to offer contracts to defense. They need to secure ideally 3 more NHL defense. It will be a tight fit after that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'm not even sure I call it 100% value; its pretty darn good. It would be the same group as last year, except Juulsen in place of Cole (could even see Cole coming back at 1m for 2 years for vet depth and split time with Juulsen).

So... Zad at 4.75m for 6 years and Myers 3m for 2 years = 7.75m. That would leave 8.25m for Guentzel or whatever else they choose to do in Top 6.

The only negative is we would not be able to get a LT D upgrade in FA, which I am okay with. WE need to realize we actually have some good dev players that will be pushing for spots in a couple years (when Myers would be done. Any big signings simply limit the ability to promote within.

Bring back this core, add a good quality winger and start playing the prospects more including cameos for the defenceman....

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looks like Yzerman is gonna be standing there with his octopus in his hands. 🤣

Not so sure. They just made that Walman trade, which in contrast to our Mik deal looks like a poor move by Stevie Y, but methinks he’s cooking up something large for their club that will come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

lmao the juxtaposition between Allvin and Jim "ran out of time" Benning is insane.

Yeah, that quote was bad when he said it and has aged like my kid's Yop drink they left under the couch that one time....

52 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Here in lies the issue for some here.  We've gotten so used to anticipating the draft and all the shinny new prospects that we can't see that we are in our winning windows now.... 

I don't think it's lost on PA and JR that early round draft picks are essentially to extending the windows but this coming year in peticular, we can set the team up for the future 5-6 years where we pick up filler, character roll players to insulate the core group that's locked up for 5 years or more. 

Next year, management will probably keep their 1 and 2 round picks and continue refilling the cupboard, for infusing cheap talent 4-5 years down the road in an attempt to extend the windows. 

Management is setting the table with long-term intent. 

I’ll chime in again since you were responding to my post. I agree with your assessment and I really don’t mind the vision that is becoming apparent with this management group. Part of my slight dismay at the draft pick strategy comes from a place of selfishness…I just LOVE the draft and following the journey of our prospects as they fight (and often fail) to crack the big squad. I’m the guy who will drive all over the province to watch our prospects  at whatever development camp they are at. Obviously, if we manage to win a Cup in the next few years, my whining about picks lost will seem even sillier than it does now, lol.

• Huggy Bear 1