[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

16 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Really need to focus on extending or preparing to offer contracts to defense. They need to secure ideally 3 more NHL defense. It will be a tight fit after that.

I'm even good with Zadorov, and one of Myers or Dillon would like to see Brisebois/Juulsen and maybe another Irwin type depth signing battle for 6th spot and sign a top 6 forward 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'm not even sure I call it 100% value; its pretty darn good. It would be the same group as last year, except Juulsen in place of Cole (could even see Cole coming back at 1m for 2 years for vet depth and split time with Juulsen).

So... Zad at 4.75m for 6 years and Myers 3m for 2 years = 7.75m. That would leave 8.25m for Guentzel or whatever else they choose to do in Top 6.

The only negative is we would not be able to get a LT D upgrade in FA, which I am okay with. WE need to realize we actually have some good dev players that will be pushing for spots in a couple years (when Myers would be done. Any big signings simply limit the ability to promote within.

I am not saying we have a value back end my response was to upgrading our backend vs privatizing a top Line forward.

And I would say as a management team their philosophy has not been to overspend on D as a full unit.

We currently have $18.49 Million with a roast of 17 including Juulsen + Friedman and a Depth Forward at league Min and need:

Top Line Winger (Guentzel) or a Top 6 Winger (Toffoli like player) and another top 9 Forward or that 3rd Dman

Back Up Goalie (if we get a Vet this could change the math)

2-3 Dmen (Zaddy / Dillon, Myers Hakanpaa Carrier Schultz all guys in the mix I think)

- JG is highly unlikely to sign under $9M on a 7 Year term, but that would be tremendous if so 

- Zaddy is unlikely to sign for $4.75 or I think that deal would maybe be done already, but I would like that Cap hit a lot more than $5M

- Myers might have to be open minded to having a deal in the $2Mish range to stay here and upgrade the rest of the roster meaningfully.

Its gonna be interesting to see how things go

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s no way they don’t sign or trade for a top 6.

Bringing everyone back and losing Kuzmenko and Lindholm does not improve this roster.

I'm not against that....I'm against giving 9 million per to a guy who will be 38 when the contract expires.

If they can sign someone to a decent number, for a decent term, I'd be fine with it. Just so long as it isn't done at the expense of re-signing Zadorov.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Awesome!!  Joshua/Blueger/Garland back together again!

PA/JR are incredible.

Suck it Yzerman!

Or do they want them with Miller?

JG EP Boeser

DJ Miller Garland

Hogs Suter xx

xx Blueger xx

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not against that....I'm against giving 9 million per to a guy who will be 38 when the contract expires.

If they can sign someone to a decent number, for a decent term, I'd be fine with it. Just so long as it isn't done at the expense of re-signing Zadorov.

Agreed. Not signing Zadorov would be a critical error for an otherwise solid management group. 

43 minutes ago, Sojuboytellem said:

I mean I’d assume now that these contracts are taken care of we’d be working towards Z and hopefully Lindholm 🙏🏼

I dont see Lindholm signing here for reasons previously posted. Zads and a Petey winger are top priorities. Lindy to Beantown.

Sadly not a fan. This deal will not go well. Joshua is 28 and he has had PART of ONE good season. Actually.. not just one good season.. but one NHL level season. Myers, Zadorov, a better more consistent winger for that money was the way better bet. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, rmok said:

Sadly not a fan. This deal will not go well. Joshua is 28 and he has had PART of ONE good season. Actually.. not just one good season.. but one NHL level season. Myers, Zadorov, a better more consistent winger for that money was the way better bet. 

As an oldtimer, I believe he will age just fine. He is a player you want on your team in the playoffs.  He gets it now.

• Like 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Not signing Zadorov would be a critical error for an otherwise solid management group. 

I've also maintained (several times) that I think the team is good enough offensively as is, to make the playoffs.

If there's a deal out there that improves the offense and won't cripple us 5 years down the road, then go ahead and make it.....but get Z done first. If we can't make a deal for a forward that makes sense after that, we can wait until the TDL.

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’ll chime in again since you were responding to my post. I agree with your assessment and I really don’t mind the vision that is becoming apparent with this management group. Part of my slight dismay at the draft pick strategy comes from a place of selfishness…I just LOVE the draft and following the journey of our prospects as they fight (and often fail) to crack the big squad. I’m the guy who will drive all over the province to watch our prospects  at whatever development camp they are at. Obviously, if we manage to win a Cup in the next few years, my whining about picks lost will seem even sillier than it does now, lol.

Whining about picks isn’t silly at all. When JR got here he talked about us being capped out, having few good prospects and not being competitive. His vision was to improve our prospect cupboard to have a sustainable competitive window. Look at Boston. They’ve been competitive since they beat us in the final. We are competitive now but have a mediocre prospect pool aside from Willander and Lekkie, no 1st or 2nd this year and no 3rds in 2025 and 2026 and no 2nd in 2027. If a 1st pick could put us over the top in a trade I’m all for it, but we need to build our prospects back up and not just go shopping for UFAs every year (some of which are needed to retool from the Benning debacle decade).

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I've also maintained (several times) that I think the team is good enough offensively as is, to make the playoffs.

If there's a deal out there that improves the offense and won't cripple us 5 years down the road, then go ahead and make it.....but get Z done first. If we can't make a deal for a forward that makes sense after that, we can wait until the TDL.

Seems sensible. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

How’d Joshua get trade protection? 

Probably negotiated as part of his taking a bit of a discount from what he'd get via UFA 

12-teams ain't much though, and if he plays well they won't trade him anyway 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Probably negotiated as part of his taking a bit of a discount from what he'd get via UFA 

12-teams ain't much though, and if he plays well they won't trade him anyway 

and if he plays poorly, they won't be able to trade him because of his contract, not the no-trade. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

and if he plays poorly, they won't be able to trade him because of his contract, not the no-trade. 

they'll be able to trade him, it'll just cost a 2nd or a 3rd LOL 

• Upvote 1