[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

Had a feeling we would get an early-morning signing today after the late night trade yesterday to clear up some cap space. This is a good contract. Looks like all players are agreeing to take less to remain here, which shows they believe in the club’s ability to win. Let’s hope we can lock up a few more key pieces and come back with a stronger team next season 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, testycal said:

As an oldtimer, I believe he will age just fine. He is a player you want on your team in the playoffs.  He gets it now.

As an oldtimer,  unfortunately he was invisible and ineffective in the playoffs outside both game 1's. He has lots of 'hits' yet not a single one was memorable.. nor can I think of any shifts outside the game 1's that stood out as dangerous. His shooting percentage was way high.. so likely not to continue. 

Its nice to have a good 3rd line... BUT.. now you don't have the money for a big fish winger for petey AND filling out the defense. I'd rather give an opportunity for Podz, Karlson, Bains, Raty or someone else to take that 3rd line role for a million bucks and become an NHL'er. 

I hope I am wrong I truly do.. but I think people way over value him. The 3rd line was good because of Garland.. he is a legitimate top 6 player year in year out who is being played on the 3rd and he is the driver on that line. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

14 minutes ago, rmok said:

Sadly not a fan. This deal will not go well. Joshua is 28 and he has had PART of ONE good season. Actually.. not just one good season.. but one NHL level season. Myers, Zadorov, a better more consistent winger for that money was the way better bet. 

I can certainly see this viewpoint of the deal.

His shooting percentage is very unlikely to remain as high as last year.

The chemistry of he, and his line mates might not be as effective.

It's a gamble.

----------------------------------------------

I'd like to see new players added, rather than mostly the same guys brought back.

28 minutes ago, testycal said:

As an oldtimer, I believe he will age just fine. He is a player you want on your team in the playoffs.  He gets it now.

He came in last year soft….

and he got told all about it… outed (quite professionally i might add)

he learned a big lesson….. NOT like our pal Virt.

He comes in bigger and meaner and leaner next season… like Miller  Big Z and the rest of the core…..

he’s a big piece… much like momesso was

Edited by 5 min Major
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I can certainly see this viewpoint of the deal.

His shooting percentage is very unlikely to remain as high as last year.

The chemistry of he, and his line mates might not be as effective.

It's a gamble.

----------------------------------------------

I'd like to see new players added, rather than mostly the same guys brought back.

DJ, Bluegar, Garland were the best third line in the league last season. We have them for less than 10 mil against the cap. Plus, Bluegar and DJ are important on the PK. It was good to bring back both DJ and Bluegar. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Another tidy piece of work by PA and JR...good term and AAV, for a valuable piece and a popular teammate...can there be any doubt that our FO knows what they're doing, and are skilled negotiators (along with Emilie et al) and ruthless acquisition hounds?

It's exciting to be in this time of year, with the draft and FA looming knowing we're in good hands and not going to screw the pooch with bad deals and poor UFA signings.....I was thinking of the Blueger signing and what JB would've done, probably the Dakota deal 4 x $3.25, full NMC 🤪😂

Happy Dak is Bak and hope he can continue where he left off this year.  Coach clearly likes this profile of player, and the market ain't exactly saturated with em at that price point for that kinda offensive output. 

The obvious concern here is that he regresses badly for the duration of the deal which is gonna be tough to swallow at that cap - but if he can keep up 75%± of this years production its a great deal... I'd have been happier at 500K less tbh, but I think realistically this is the best deal we could have done given the appetite for him on the open market. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Happy Dak is Bak and hope he can continue where he left off this year.  Coach clearly likes this profile of player, and the market ain't exactly saturated with em at that price point for that kinda offensive output. 

The obvious concern here is that he regresses badly for the duration of the deal which is gonna be tough to swallow at that cap - but if he can keep up 75%± of this years production its a great deal... I'd have been happier at 500K less tbh, but I think realistically this is the best deal we could have done given the appetite for him on the open market. 

Heard several teams, including Leafs and Detroit, were looking to go 4AAV for DJ. Another hometown discount. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

DJ, Bluegar, Garland were the best third line in the league last season. We have them for less than 10 mil against the cap. Plus, Bluegar and DJ are important on the PK. It was good to bring back both DJ and Bluegar. 

Yep- but last year the team wasn't good enough.

Bringing back the same players, doesn't mean the team will be better. 

Team may be better, may not be.

• Like 1

Just now, Gurn said:

The team will be better if their highest paid forward actually shows up for the entire season, and their top RHD does the same. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

extremely happy. we will not be push around when DJ is around for the next 4 years.

That’s the thing about the third line. I don’t think it’s all that effective without the size that Joshua brings.

It would have been asking a lot of someone like Podz to fill that role.

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing about the third line. I don’t think it’s all that effective without the size that Joshua brings.

It would have been asking a lot of someone like Podz to fill that role.

tbh, if Podz can get us a proven bottom 6 with term, go ahead. Podz ain't top 6.

26 minutes ago, Gurn said:

True. But we were missing Demko. With Demko we dispatch the Coilers. Plus, it appears we are after Geuntzel. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True. But we were missing Demko. With Demko we dispatch the Coilers. Plus, it appears we are after Geuntzel. 

I'd pass on Geuntzal- he's likely to cost too much for tooooo  long.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1