[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the underrated part of this, and blueger, and hronek, and hopefully zadorov re-signing is the message it sends to the room that management believes in them. 

the last time the canucks were in a position to actually build on something, benning shit the bed and let several important pieces walk. the message it sent to the rest of the guys is "sorry, but we don't believe in you" right when they were feeling good about getting some traction in the bubble. 

this management group is trying to do the opposite. they're trying to reinforce what they have, put their belief in the group. 

Excellent point. All ties into the culture we’re building here too. The team and culture we’re building will be so much more than the sum of its parts. 

• ThereItIs 1

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard several teams, including Leafs and Detroit, were looking to go 4AAV for DJ. Another hometown discount. 

No team has told anyone "we are going to offer DJ 4+ million"... or any other number.. Its literally tampering and all the "reporting" is just dorks like  Dhali farming clicks. 

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

the underrated part of this, and blueger, and hronek, and hopefully zadorov re-signing is the message it sends to the room that management believes in them. 

the last time the canucks were in a position to actually build on something, benning shit the bed and let several important pieces walk. the message it sent to the rest of the guys is "sorry, but we don't believe in you" right when they were feeling good about getting some traction in the bubble. 

this management group is trying to do the opposite. they're trying to reinforce what they have, put their belief in the group. 

And that's exactly what sent us into that downwards spiral after that. I'll always say that 21/22 and 22/23 were lost seasons and that if we were able to keep guys like Toffoli and Tanev, we would have continued development over those years and maybe this year and next we'd be true cup contenders. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, rmok said:

No team has told anyone "we are going to offer DJ 4+ million"... or any other number.. Its literally tampering and all the "reporting" is just dorks like  Dhali farming clicks. 

Wasn’t Dhali. Was on the 590 morning show. So a couple Toronto dorks. But the rumours were out there, none the less. Fact is DJ took a hometown discount to stay. So did Bluegar. Now we will see if Big Z and Chaos will do the same. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Pears said:

And that's exactly what sent us into that downwards spiral after that. I'll always say that 21/22 and 22/23 were lost seasons and that if we were able to keep guys like Toffoli and Tanev, we would have continued development over those years and maybe this year and next we'd be true cup contenders. 

yeah, that was the offseason I could no longer identify benning's plan. I could make sense of everything up to that point. but it was clear just from how it all went down that the organization had lost the trust of the players after that, and then the bottom proceeded to fall out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I predicted 3.2x4, so very close.  Great signing and we keep the 3rd line together which was important.  Joshua kills penalties too, so he is valuable in other ways.  Plus, we need more physicality not less, so losing Joshua would have made us a smaller team...

Not sure I like you photo too much... 😂😂

18 minutes ago, Devron said:

Spit Hawk GIF by Micropharms

Her parents must be so proud of her… 

This just in…

news flash…

she just undergone the witness protection plan…

due to overwhelming internet attention from horny dudes 

apparently she’s been moved to an undisclosed location under a pseudonym 

Sesame Street News GIF by Muppet Wiki

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

players buying in with hometown discounts cuz they can smell the cup…

With a healthy team we would’ve made it to the finals easily…

They want to build a winner… 

imagine a ‘Petey’ that is strong on his skates???

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Always players with hometown discounts cuz they can smell the cup…

With a healthy team we would’ve made it to the finals easily…

They want to build a winner… 

imagine a ‘Petey’ that is strong on his skates???

the whole team has another level or maybe even 2 they need to get to when it comes to fitness, strength and nutrition if they want to be at their best when it matters. 

the canucks of the first 1/3 of the season would have steamrolled their way to the finals. 

9 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I… agree with Thomas Drance on something?………

image.gif.bc6e141355189ce3b15556b70c8ed85c.gif

I also agree with him stating that guentzel is arguably a top 5 LW in the entire NHL and top 10 Wing in the entire NHL

People thinking a top 10 wing will sign him for 8-9 million our out too lunch. All other top wings are in the give or take 10 million range, potentially 11 million

If the canucks can nab him for 9 mil that'll be a discount

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

I also agree with him stating that guentzel is arguably a top 5 LW in the entire NHL and top 10 Wing in the entire NHL

People thinking a top 10 wing will sign him for 8-9 million our out too lunch. All other top wings are in the give or take 10 million range, potentially 11 million

If the canucks can nab him for 9 mil that'll be a discount

I hope we don’t go after Guentzel. That money would be better spent on a cheaper top 6 forward, re-signing Zadorov, and then the remainder of the money spread evenly on the remaining holes in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I hope we don’t go after Guentzel. That money would be better spent on a cheaper top 6 forward, re-signing Zadorov, and then the remainder of the money spread evenly on the remaining holes in the lineup. 

dunno, who's really going to be a good partner for Petey... Tofu? that has Pearson stank all over it at his age now.

It's really tough, there aren't many legit goal scorers out there for us that make sense on term. 

Edited by Bob Long

3 minutes ago, tas said:

the canucks of the first 1/3 of the season would have steamrolled their way to the finals. 

The fact we made it as far as we did while pushing Edmonton to 7 games says a lot, I think. At least to start that series, Edmonton's top guns were healthy and the Canucks managed to shut them down and ALMOST advanced. If we had any significant improvement to the team at that time, we would have been the ones in the final instead, and it was entirely possible. If Petey was typically Petey, that would have been enough. If we had better goaltending from Demko (not that Silvos was bad), that would have been enough. Very, very close.

Next season will be about maintaining and building on that. Say what you will about Lindholm, but he played solid in the playoffs and losing him will need to be accounted for. With the cap space available, Allvin should be able to do that and then some. Then the remainder is re-signing key players, which he's already well underway. I feel that if Zadorov is reasonable in his salary demands, NOT re-signing him would leave a hole. Myers is more replaceable, but if he's willing to take half or less the salary of this year, I wouldn't mind seeing him back too. 

Then there's the potential of improvement from younger guys like Hogs, Podz and possibly Aman, or even the potential of seeing guys in the AHL making a name for themselves, like Bains or Raty to help provide depth if nothing else.

Overall, I feel the team is in good shape. I just hope Allvin doesn't blow all the cap on a player who ends up not gelling with this group. That's really the only potential derailment I could see happening - but I DO trust his judgement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Her parents must be so proud of her… 

This just in…

news flash…

she just undergone the witness protection plan…

due to overwhelming internet attention from horny dudes 

apparently she’s been moved to an undisclosed location under a pseudonym 

Sesame Street News GIF by Muppet Wiki

Yeah that doesn’t suprise me. Internet bad 

REALLY happy they re-signed Joshua.  Wished it was under $3M/yr, but his importance to the team is pretty understated.  Just look at the dip in their record without him.  Hits, clean-up around the net, speed, size, coachable......nice to have him for another 4 years.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • ThereItIs 1