[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

6 hours ago, rmok said:

Joshua's deal sucks. 

He's a third line winger with about 3 months of NHL level 3rd line play in his 28 years. ... Giving him 4 years of term at about a million too much per year is not a good deal even based on last year. 

If Joshua's contract is considered  "good" or 'fair'.. then be prepared for Hoglander to get 6x6  next year, because he has been a FAR better NHL player for far longer and is much younger. . 

It is a bit of a gamble but his mobility and toughness along with versatility makes this deal easy to move if his goal production dwindles.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, rmok said:

Because they badly overpaid to keep a guy with a couple months of NHL level play. I don't believe the success of that line was actually driven by him.. I believe he benefited from a legitimate top 6 player in Garland along with two underrated players in Suter and Blueg playing third line minutes. 

If they couldn't spare another 500k for the better more impactful player in the more important position because they overspent on a 3rd line winger.. then ya he/management are kind of at fault. There is zero reason why one of Karlson, Podz, Raty etc couldn't.. and honestly should have the opportunity for the third line wing position.. and at a lot less money. 

They are now also going to have to overpay Hoglander next year because of this crappy contract. 

Its a fair way to look at it... I disagree, but guess its the eye of the beholder...

I believe, while he may be slightly overpaid, they did so because of his play with Garland... I still remember most of us a year ago were looking at, what sweetener to add to Garland to get him off the books... 

He was tried together with everyone and everything we had, and nothing worked... Now it can be debated whether its all down to Garland lineman or if it is down to Garland himself improving... What can't be debated was the massive improvement to the line Garland was part of... 

Management obviously thought that Joshua was the reason for that, and thus was prepared to pay in order to keep him. 

Whether Karlson, Pods, Ray etc could make up for that, we don't know, and PA was not going to wait to find out... What we do know is, that the line and the team performance dipped, when Anthony got injured last season... 

Now if one of the aforementioned players should be able to do, what Anthony does, it will be an added bonus, as more is needed... 

As for Hogs next contract, lets see him produce as well again or better before worrying too much about that...

He's a goal scorer, but not a PK'er, and he can NOT drop them if needed... and while he is very tenacious, he still doesn't hit like Anthony does...

And if he does, then we deal with that next season, when his contract is up... 

At least that is how I see it.

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Every era has great music and the music industry of the 70s-90s was fucking predatory. Shit it always was.
Now it is just more open and we know all the money goes to Bezos and Cook instead of the artists.  While it is even harder for artists to make money it is also the easiest and cheapest it has ever been to make music.  You can record competently on a budget laptop. Quality instruments are available for incredibly cheap and software makes it reasonable to really do stuff on your own.

But I do miss the eras of truly guitar driven rock but we jumped the shark towards the end of the 90s, I am talking to you Collective Sole, Creed and Nickelback! 
That is why I find myself falling more back to punk music. It is inauthentic at this point and knows it so fuck you!

Dude ya 

I’ve been listening to Ramones debut and ‘it’s alive’ the Clash sex pistols - a lot recently 

and I stumbled upon this Australian band called the saints - their debut is decent punk from 1977

• -AJ- unpinned this topic