[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

After playing 13 games in the playoffs, I highly doubt Silovs would agree to sign a two-way deal to play in Abby for one more year...

A little management pressure on Silovs. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If they view Silovs as a potential starter down the road it makes sense for him to have a larger load in Abbotsford imo

I disagree, Demko plays too much, and Silvos is an NHL goalie. I’d ask for a trade if I was him. He deserves an NHL salary. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't going to sign him to a $1 million one way deal to play in Abby.  That makes no sense...

It does when you think of having depth in the organization. Or it's a 2 way and he's making 300k in the AHL and $1m in the NHL.

But again, I don't think Casey is re-signing here.

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

If the Joblugar line can maintain the chemistry they found last season, this is some very handy work from the Canucks. I think Joshua has more to give as well - why not 1st unit PP net-front presence? He seems perfect for that role.

Joshbluegar line it is. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

I disagree, Demko plays too much, and Silvos is an NHL goalie. I’d ask for a trade if I was him. He deserves an NHL salary. 

There are a number of teams looking for goaltending, maybe they've gotten an offer or two

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think there is a maximum.  He made $70k last year.  No way he is signing a two-way deal to play in Abby again.  I am assuming he wants a one way $1 million+ deal...

Interesting.

Give him a two way $1M either league. 

I agree though if I was him I'd push for a 1 way.

23 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

Definitely a discount from Joshua for sure. He loves Vancouver.

Yep though I suppose he got an extra year with that deal. Which brought the AAv down 

Just now, BPA said:

Slightly higher than I wanted.  But good signing nonetheless.

Woohoo!!!

My thoughts exactly. 

A few extra 100k of Franc’s money is well worth keeping this guy around for the next 4 years.

Third line is set now.

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland
Back at it again and better next year watch.

4th line has some questions but not bad for what we have already:

Podkolzin-Suter-Karlsson.

Top 6 needs some work now. 

______-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-_______

4 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

It does when you think of having depth in the organization. Or it's a 2 way and he's making 300k in the AHL and $1m in the NHL.

But again, I don't think Casey is re-signing here.

After playing 10 games in the playoffs and almost beating the Oilers, there is no scenario where Silovs comes back and plays for $300k in Abbotsford.  He's either signing a one way deal or he's getting traded.  I just don't see the Canucks paying him $1 million+ to play in Abby.  Also, Nikita Tolopilo had a solid year last year and played even more games than Silovs.  So no way Silovs is getting all the games in Abby either...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

I get it - Benning made quite a few mistakes and Allvin is doing some master work. But the operating climates could not be more different. Benning was dealing with an unprecedented flat cap world whereas Allvin has an increased and increasing cap situation.

This is 2 players now that have taken below market deals - we have something special here and the players know it. Great signings, bring on some more!

A few is an understatement. 

Having said that one of Benning's mistakes is the Roussel contract. And Joshua's deal and expected spot in the roster is similar with Roussel. 

Who knows maybe Joshua I just the next Roussel and this could be an Allvin blunder in the next couple of years. 

I hope not

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

After playing 10 games in the playoffs and almost beating the Oilers, there is no scenario where Silovs comes back and plays for $300k in Abbotsford.  He's either signing a one way deal or he's getting traded.  I just don't see the Canucks paying him $1 million+ to play in Abby.  Also, Nikita Tolopilo had a solid year last year and played even more games than Silovs.  So no way Silovs is getting all the games in Abby either...

There is an argument that keeping Silovs to a 2 way deal makes sense as he is waiver eligible. Meaning you can keep him in Abbotsford to develop while allowing him to call up when needed. 

Plus this allows the Canucks to rotate the goaltending more, something needed considering Demko's late season injury 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He might be getting traded, or he might sign a contract and end up playing in Abby or Van. Nobody knows what will happen.

Lots of teams bring players in and create competition and then players end up getting waived and sent down to the AHL making the $1m. Silovs obviously wouldn't need to be waived, but there is a scenario where this plays out, and it's not far-fetched.

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

A few is an understatement. 

Having said that one of Benning's mistakes is the Roussel contract. And Joshua's deal and expected spot in the roster is similar with Roussel. 

Who knows maybe Joshua I just the next Roussel and this could be an Allvin blunder in the next couple of years. 

I hope not

Eh,,,?  Roussel  played above his pay grade before injuries shortened his career.  Benning made some awful mistakes but that wasn't one of them (IMHO).  Ferland was the horseh*t signing.  Signing a guy with so many injury issues they couldn't get that contract insured.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I've got a lineup that looks like this right now:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-???

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Karlsson/PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-???

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Zadorov at $5M AAV

Hakanapaa at $2M AAV

Silovs at $1.5M AAV

Have just over $9M to fill those last 2 spots.

Lol 

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Soucy-Myers

Would be such a ridiculously large back end...  haha from 3 towers to 4!

• chaos 3

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

There is an argument that keeping Silovs to a 2 way deal makes sense as he is waiver eligible. Meaning you can keep him in Abbotsford to develop while allowing him to call up when needed. 

Plus this allows the Canucks to rotate the goaltending more, something needed considering Demko's late season injury 

Why would Silovs agree to a two way deal for $300k?  He's an RFA who can be offer sheeted.  There are teams out there who might pay him $2 million per to be their starter, or at least a 1B backup...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I have to agree with the prevailing sentiment here….its almost surreal to watch competent management in action.

We’ve never had a group this capable and resolved to build a winner.