[RUMOUR] DeSmith might be back, what does this mean for Silovs?

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd wager that it means that they want him to play a larger number of games in Abbotsford

If they view him as a potential starter down the road it makes sense for him to get used to playing a larger number of games sooner than later

That takes away from Tolopilo, who is also a very solid goalie prospect. 

Silovs and Tolopilo split games 50/50 last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Perhaps, but Silovs was the one who put up NHL level playoff heroics 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't see Allvin signing Silovs to a $1 million+ one way contract to play in Abby for one more year.  Makes no sense.  Plus, as HKSR mentioned, Tolopilo played half the games last year and is a solid prospect.  He should be getting #1 minutes in Abby.

If DeSmith is coming back, that may signal that they made their goalie decision and will sign Demko to a long term extension.  Which means Silovs may be packaged in a trade to get a winger for Petey...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agree with this. Silovs is ready for 10-20 NHL games and Tolopilo is ready to be an AHL starter IMO. Seems weird to bring DeSmith back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd wager that it means that they want him to play a larger number of games in Abbotsford

If they view him as a potential starter down the road it makes sense for him to get used to playing a larger number of games sooner than later

Hey man. Thanks for playing your bag off for those 13 playoff games. Here is an AHL salary, the guy that backed you up during those 13 games is a better option. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That would be the responsible thing to do in terms of having an NHL pedigree backup behind Demko and a starter in the AHL playing games and in a position to be called up if Demko is out for a stretch.

As for DeSmith, you'd have to think it stings a little to have the starter go down and then unable to secure the role and play games when they mean the most. He could have a better opportunity elsewhere. 

Could just be posturing. Could also just be insurance in case Demko inevitably gets injured. If anything, I wonder what this means for Demko. He's been very injury prone. If he has another rough injury season do we cut bait with him at some point?

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but Silovs was the one who put up NHL level playoff heroics 

Yeah, which is weird.  Silovs is NHL ready.  Abby minutes isn't gonna help his development that much more than where he's at now.

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Hey man. Thanks for playing your bag off for those 13 playoff games. Here is an AHL salary, the guy that backed you up during those 13 games is a better option. 

in an NHL backup role DeSmith is absolutely the better option this upcoming season. Silovs played very well and the organization, Ian Clark are very high on him. He is who they are grooming as the next starter to push Demko. He is not there yet.

• Like 1
  • Desmenko 1

4 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

He's certainly the more experienced option though, could be the Canucks want him to stew a bit longer

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, which is weird.  Silovs is NHL ready.  Abby minutes isn't gonna help his development that much more than where he's at now.

Hmm, hard to argue with that, guess we'll see

I still think there's a chance they want him playing more games though

Maybe they got an offer on Silovs

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, stawns said:

That makes no sense, imo

I don't think it will happen because of money alone. But he is a solid option while the team continues to mold and grow Silovs into their next starter down the road. The team did not free up this amazing amount of cap with the Mikheyev deal. They need to sign or bring back at least two 4/5 NHL dmen, ideally a 3rd so Juulsen and riedman are 7s and not rotating on the bottom pair.

Silovs could likely get into 25 to 30 NHL games this year.  That's far better for his development than playing 40 to 45 AHL games (which he already did in 2022-23).

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Silovs/DeSmith would be a step backwards in net. I doubt Allvin would do that.

I'm 99% sure that was a joke.

• ThereItIs 1

A thought I have is this: If Silovs outplays DeSmith, is he okay playing in Abbotsford? DeSmith feels too good to be in the AHL.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Plot twist!!!!

We are re-signing DeSmith to be our backup for Silovs!!!  Demko will be traded!!!   :frantic:

Possibly

traded bevsuse he is injury prone 

many teams still need goalies 

prices might go up 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'm 99% sure that was a joke.

If it was, what's it to you? I responded to the post. If it was a joke then let that poster state that.