[RUMOUR] DeSmith might be back, what does this mean for Silovs?

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Another thing to consider is chemistry. Clearly Demko and DeSmith had it on and off the ice.

An underrated part of the backups role is the morale boost that they can give the starter. Is he good at keeping things light and positive and being a cheerleader for Demko?

I would say him likely being runner up for the Vezina says he was in a good environment. His teammates seem to all love his positive attitude as well.

I noticed that quite a bit in the playoffs while Demko was injured. He stuck around just to support his teammates and be a morale booster. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Even Rick is confused.  He is trying to figure it out.  If I was a betting man, I would say that something has happened to Demko in his rehab and his injury maybe got worse and they are worried about his long term health.  So if this is the case, then there is no way they are trading Silovs.  

They will sign Silovs to a one way deal, bring back DeSmith and then see how Demko is at training camp.  If Demko is ready to go most likely they send Siliovs down to Abby on his one way deal and go from there.  

Long term, I don't see how they re-sign Demko to an 8.5x8 contract extension, especially if they are worried about his health...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even Rick is confused.  He is trying to figure it out.  If I was a betting man, I would say that something has happened to Demko in his rehab and his injury maybe got worse and they are worried about his long term health.  So if this is the case, then there is no way they are trading Silovs.  

They will sign Silovs to a one way deal, bring back DeSmith and then see how Demko is at training camp.  If Demko is ready to go most likely they send Siliovs down to Abby on his one way deal and go from there.  

Long term, I don't see how they re-sign Demko to an 8.5x8 contract extension, especially if they are worried about his health...

Nah I think it was always the plan to have a veteran backup for Demko.

I know fans in this market are ready to hand the starters role to every young goalie who has success in a small sample size. Management are calculating though and they know the risk they expose themselves too with a green backup goalie.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like Demko is injury prone.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah I think it was always the plan to have a veteran backup for Demko.

I know fans in this market are ready to hand the starters role to every young goalie who has success in a small sample size. Management are calculating though and they know the risk they expose themselves too with a green backup goalie.

Dhaliwal said something has happened in the last week.  They were supposed to sign their backup in Abby and didn't.  Which tells me that Silovs was on target to be the backup in Vancouver.  The only thing that makes sense is a Demko injury...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dhaliwal said something has happened in the last week.  They were supposed to sign their backup in Abby and didn't.  Which tells me that Silovs was on target to the backup in Vancouver.  The only thing that makes sense is a Demko injury...

Or they had a change of heart, you’re allowed to do that.

Not hard to see the risks involved in having Silovs as the backup. Not to mention the potential of hindering his development.

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

Demko still has 2 months to recover..I'm not sure it's easy to jump to conclusions this early so I doubt it's injury related.

Demko missed 2 months during the season.  He ended the season with another injury.  So it's pretty safe to say he may not be doing too well right now...

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So what you're saying is Demko to New Jersey for Markstrom and the 10OA e5

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not hard to see the risks involved in having Silovs as the backup. Not to mention the potential of hindering his development.

We already have a #1 goalie for Abby in Tolopilo.  No reason to hinder his development either.  Demko was our backup at age 24 after only 10 games played in the NHL.  Silovs has already played more games than that.  He's even played more games in the playoffs than Demko.  Absolutely zero reason he would need to go back to Abby for another season.  Remember, he outplayed our backup in the playoffs and was our starter for 10 games.  DeSmith was Silovs backup, not the other way around...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We already have a #1 goalie for Abby in Tolopilo.  No reason to hinder his development either.  Demko was our backup at age 24 after only 10 games played in the NHL.  Silovs has already played more games than that.  He's even played more games in the playoffs than Demko.  Absolutely zero reason he would need to go back to Abby for another season.  Remember, he outplayed our backup in the playoffs and was our starter for 10 games.  DeSmith was Silovs backup, not the other way around...

DeSmith got injured that’s the only reason Silovs got the net.

Silovs still has a lot he can work on. Anyone saying he’s 100% ready for the NHL is just being a homer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

A lot of vagueness surrounding this. 

My guess is they want 3 goalies as we needed 3 goalies last season. 

Without 3 goalies we wouldn’t have made it past the 1st round. 

Or maybe Demko won’t be ready for the start of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

what happened to sawchenko?

Why do people jump right to the worst possible scenario?

There has been no actual reports that there is an issue with Demko and his rehab. Hell, he came out and said he would've played game 1 of round 3.

I think DeNerio is correct, the office has sat down and had discussions and have decided going forward they want to have options and not limit themselves. This creates good depth incase of an injury during the season.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I heard somewhere (maybe donnie & Dhali or Sat) that there was some concern when figuring out the goalie situation. 

The thought was Demko & Silvos start in Vancouver but if they lose DeSmith they could run into trouble if Demko gets injured again. 

Without a journeyman goaltender (Desmith or someone else) in Abby you'd have to call up Tolopilo to back up Silvos.

2 Rookie goaltenders with a combined 19 NHL games experience for Vancouver is not an ideal situation to get stuck in.

I THINK that's why they're considering bring back Desmith. Not sure if he's interested in playing in Abby though  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Why do people jump right to the worst possible scenario?

There has been no actual reports that there is an issue with Demko and his rehab. Hell, he came out and said he would've played game 1 of round 3.

I think DeNerio is correct, the office has sat down and had discussions and have decided going forward they want to have options and not limit themselves. This creates good depth incase of an injury during the season.

image.png.def024be87b6936078d3f6eb2849bd1d.png

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

DeSmith got injured that’s the only reason Silovs got the net.

Silovs still has a lot he can work on. Anyone saying he’s 100% ready for the NHL is just being a homer.

Pretty sure DeSmith was healthy for the Oilers series and was simply benched in favour of Silovs.  How many goalies start 10 games in the playoffs and need to go back to the minors the following year?  I'm trying to think of one but I can't.  I know Schmid in New Jersey went back to the minors, but that was only after he was given 19 games in the NHL first.  

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

A thought I have is this: If Silovs outplays DeSmith, is he okay playing in Abbotsford? DeSmith feels too good to be in the AHL.

If Silovs outplays DeSmith and DeSmith is too good for the AHL, flip DeSmith for a 5th or something. Gain an asset.

• Cheers 1