[RUMOUR] DeSmith might be back, what does this mean for Silovs?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure DeSmith was healthy for the Oilers series and was simply benched in favour of Silovs.  How many goalies start 10 games in the playoffs and need to go back to the minors the following year?  I'm trying to think of one but I can't.  I know Schmid in New Jersey went back to the minors, but that was only after he was given 19 games in the NHL first.  

At that point they weren’t gonna start flip flopping between goalies that’s never a good strategy. Not to mention we don’t even know if DeSmith was 100% yet. 

It’s obvious they’re not ready to hand the keys to him yet. He has some weaknesses to his game still that can be worked out by playing a lot of games down in Abby.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd wager that it means that they want him to play a larger number of games in Abbotsford

If they view him as a potential starter down the road it makes sense for him to get used to playing a larger number of games sooner than later

This, he's too valuable of a piece to just move for the sake of moving. I'm ok with him stepping in as a back up this season but I do prefer letting him have the full reigns in Abbotsford for one more season at least. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This, he's too valuable of a piece to just move for the sake of moving. I'm ok with him stepping in as a back up this season but I do prefer letting him have the full reigns in Abbotsford for one more season at least. 

He won't be waiver eligible next season I believe, so this may be their last chance to get him a starters share of games in Abbotsford 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Agree with this. Silovs is ready for 10-20 NHL games and Tolopilo is ready to be an AHL starter IMO. Seems weird to bring DeSmith back.

But I think they want the backup to play 30 - 32 games. Probably wanting to bridge the gap between AHL and fill time back up. Plus, likely want two goalies with experience if Demko gets injured for any period

Don’t be worried. I was listening to the goalie expert guy they have on 650 every week and he said we needed a proven veteran as every team now goes through 3 goalies.

We also need to stop playing Dem more than 50 games. Enough is enough with that

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Plot twist!!!!

We are re-signing DeSmith to be our backup for Silovs!!!  Demko will be traded!!!   :frantic:

well then we'll be able to afford both Zadorov and Guentzel hehehehhe....

• ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Does a team in need of a goalie offer sheet him for 2million? More than the Canucks would/could pay without being too risky for the other team. Compensation is only a 3rd. 

If I needed a goalie I would easily offer Silovs $2 million for 3 years. A 3rd round pick is nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I look at the 2022-2023 Devils as a cautionary tale.

image.png.2dc2a86aad861e53df8609e3f311ed56.png

They had a great season and some playoff success with their 3rd string goalie Akira Schmid. They thought they had taken the next step and decided to let their veteran d-men Graves and Severson go in favour of more ice-time for Hughes and Nemec. Last year they sunk back down to 7th in the Met - I know they had some injury troubles with J. Hughes but it was obvious they needed help in goaltending and defense.

Our cap space is looking good after the last few moves but I think priority #1 still needs to be the same for us - a solid veteran backup for Demko who will play 30 games while Silovs plays 50+ in Abbotsford, and 2-3 veteran defenseman to round out the D-core. If there's leftover money add a top 6 forward but I don't think 9M+ for Guentzel is the answer.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

what if

someone saw silovs and fancies him as their starter

and theyre willing to give up a 1st for him?!

You take this trade and run.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Plot twist!!!!

We are re-signing DeSmith to be our backup for Silovs!!!  Demko will be traded!!!   :frantic:

It's not a ludicrous thought. Love Demmer, but think of what he might return in trade, and we'd be freeing up some cap space at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Demko is injury prone right now silovs is a bluechip goalie prospect at this point u DO NOT unload silovs right now hes eventually demmers replacement if he cant stay healthy 

the tendy market is also oversaturated so your return wouldnt be elite right now sheesh u guys are poor armchairs suggesting moving off silovs 

• Like 1

Been thinking about this since I heard it on D&D earlier: Given that Lek and Will are both considered "untouchable" by management and how strong both Top Chico and Sawchenko are under Clarkie, Arty has some high asset value and really is our only true asset where we could stomach the loss. Is it possible that PA could leverage him to recoup a 2nd rounder this weekend? Or is it more likely that he would be part of a trade with another pick down the road for a winger already under contract who fits PA and JRs needs? Either that or Demko is regressing in his rehab from the injury. 

23 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

Been thinking about this since I heard it on D&D earlier: Given that Lek and Will are both considered "untouchable" by management and how strong both Top Chico and Sawchenko are under Clarkie, Arty has some high asset value and really is our only true asset where we could stomach the loss. Is it possible that PA could leverage him to recoup a 2nd rounder this weekend? Or is it more likely that he would be part of a trade with another pick down the road for a winger already under contract who fits PA and JRs needs? Either that or Demko is regressing in his rehab from the injury. 

Trading Silovs for a second rounder would be insane in my opinion.  From what we've seen of him so far, he has a great future.

I'm going to throw something out there that's a little insane crazy.....curious how crazy people think it really is.  What are the odds that management and Clark see Silovs and DeSmith as "good enough" with a brighter future ahead?  Silovs is slightly bigger than Demko, already has the mentality of winning titles, is younger, cheaper and doesn't have a history of injuries.  

Trading Demko right now would seem insane, but it would create much needed cap space and Demko's value may be as high as it ever will be (Vezina nomination, injury history could mean more injuries).  Demko has 2 more years left on his great contract.....but then he'll want huge money at the age of 30 after a long line of injuries.  The return on Demko should be considerable to restock some picks and prospects.

Nobody wants to trade Demko, but it's possible they will want to do it before the end of his contract if they believe in Silovs (and DeSmith to keep Silovs fresh).  Also, it would give them the ability to lock up the big Z, JG and likely another solid D (haven't done the math to confirm the latter). If they could lock up their best players for the next three years without Demko, then the salary cap hike over the next year can be put towards Boeser and the following year or two will take care of Hughes.  

So would a Silovs - DeSmith tandem be good enough with a crazy good D and 3 excellent forward lines?  I would think so, but it's of course a bit of a leap based on a short observation period of Silovs.

Insane?  Kind of, but worth considering.  I'm not sure why DeSmith comes into the equation if Demko wasn't in the trade rumours......Silovs is ready.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If I needed a goalie I would easily offer Silovs $2 million for 3 years. A 3rd round pick is nothing. 

Exactly. I feel like these are the types of offer sheets teams should be going after more, whereas we only really hear of the bigger names being tied to offersheets. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A thought I have is this: If Silovs outplays DeSmith, is he okay playing in Abbotsford? DeSmith feels too good to be in the AHL.

This is my thought too. I feel DeSmith at worse wants to be an NHL backup, not playing the majority of the year in the AHL. As for Van they should absolutely have Silvos playing backup this year (and should get a good number of games in because we overplay Demko and need to stop doing that). 

My thoughts are one of two things could be going on:

1. Demko is more hurt then we know and will likely not be 100% to start the season. So makes sense to spend extra and bring in a decent goalie to help Silvos weather the first (half?) of the season. 

2. They have an idea of what a Demko extension will look like in 2 years and are fine with the cost/term, so Silvos is being traded. He should have high value right now as a young goalie with a great playoff performance (plus his international tournament). 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bobby James said:

This is my thought too. I feel DeSmith at worse wants to be an NHL backup, not playing the majority of the year in the AHL. As for Van they should absolutely have Silvos playing backup this year (and should get a good number of games in because we overplay Demko and need to stop doing that). 

1. Demko is more hurt then we know and will likely not be 100% to start the season. So makes sense to spend extra and bring in a decent goalie to help Silvos weather the first (half?) of the season. 

2. They have an idea of what a Demko extension will look like in 2 years and are fine with the cost/term, so Silvos is being traded. He should have high value right now as a young goalie with a great playoff performance (plus his international tournament). 

Yeah, I do wonder if a trade of Silovs might be in the works. If they think his NHL starter potential is overrated, or even simply that they need assets for now, they might trade him.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

That takes away from Tolopilo, who is also a very solid goalie prospect. 

Silovs and Tolopilo split games 50/50 last year.

I suspect they want to lighten Demko's load keep him healthy for the playoffs and probably don't think Silovs is ready to start 30 games in the NHL 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

I think it is entirely possible that Silovs is a trade chip and have suggested that for a while.

His value could easily be at an all-time high after the last year.  He was a great news story but had average numbers, he was just great for a 3rd string option.

Lots of teams needing goaltending help, we still need another top four D and two top six wingers.  Hoglander and Silovs appear to be our best trade chips if you exclude our top three prospects.

He's going to Utah for Crouse and a pick.😉

5 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Or they are trading Demko