[RUMOUR] DeSmith might be back, what does this mean for Silovs?

I think it is entirely possible that Silovs is a trade chip and have suggested that for a while.

His value could easily be at an all-time high after the last year.  He was a great news story but had average numbers, he was just great for a 3rd string option.

Lots of teams needing goaltending help, we still need another top four D and two top six wingers.  Hoglander and Silovs appear to be our best trade chips if you exclude our top three prospects.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Need three goalies.

If he comes back less I’m all for it.

I agree if they can find a way to make it work and not discourage silovs I love it

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree if they can find a way to make it work and not discourage silovs I love it

The key is managing Demko’s load.

With Abby being right there you can call him up any time you want.

• Vintage 1

Ok, so for argument, (and this threads) sake...

IF Silovs was being floated as a trade chip. What do folks think he is worth?

Obviously he isn't valued as a starting NHL goaltender, but on the other hand a few teams may love to take a big gamble on him because he could be a home run.

According to capfriendly, Silovs has one more season (or 61 games) to lose waiver exemption.

I'm guessing that management is looking to use that to either push him to demonstrate that he belongs on the big club, or if he can't, then to take advantage of the waiver exemption status for that one last season.

Is it possible he might get an offer sheet that the Canucks won't match?  I suppose.  But that's his prerogative and I feel confident that he sees the bigger picture and management's expectations of him.

edit - forgot to stick the graphic in this post

image.png.210f5ace8aa0b97fb3f70d965d83d89e.png

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Obviously he isn't valued as a starting NHL goaltender, but on the other hand a few teams may love to take a big gamble on him because he could be a home run.

He isn't a starter yet,  but have to think both Alberta teams, and the other usuals would be interested in acquiring him for the right price. Edmonton especially would love to have him. Pittsburgh could be an interesting move for him also

Edited by BTueyCanucksFan
Spelling and grammar

Maybe management has seen Silovs performance in the playoffs as encouraging and wants to roll the dice and trade Demko.

🤣

Demko to Utah for Crouse +2nd.

😁

• Thanks 1
  • Wiener 1

If Silovs is not playing ball, I could see PA/JR trying to move him instead with the fear of an offer sheet out there.  An offer sheet on him would only bring back a 3rd round pick.  If PA/JR can get back something worth more than a 3rd, it's worth their while to trade him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

A 2nd rounder at the absolute most. He can be offersheeted and the price for that wouldn't hit the 2nd rounder tier. So, you'd have to argue his value is probably closer to 3rd round pick or another teams B grade prospect. Silovs was good in the playoffs, but I don't think he was so good that his talent is undeniable. There's potential there for sure, but we value him highly cause we have a love affair with backups. He's the backup's backup, so our love affair with him is even higher.

• Cheers 1

Only way I see this happening is for around 1 million per year as a safety net.

This also might be an intentional leak for contract negotiations with Silovs. One way to get him to accept less on a one way deal.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Maybe management has seen Silovs performance in the playoffs as encouraging and wants to roll the dice and trade Demko.

🤣

Demko to Utah for Crouse +2nd.

😁

Silovs is definitely a battler but I didn’t see anything that tells me he’s close to being a starter.

I would also be hesitant to have him as a full time backup. Nothing wrong with him developing one more season in Abby as our ace in the hole in case of injury.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

Me thinks Silovs is a trade chip. Allvin might want to trade him for prospect playing a different position or a draft pick. I’m not sure what draft pick he could fetch us though.

Who would say no to including him in a trade for Necas?

I am on the sell high Demko train....great goalie but if there was any asset to sell high on (like signing Nikita) these are the risks one takes and bring back a hotshot winger for Petey..and if Petey does not go into high gear for most of the year....then he has some explaining to do. 

Just now, testycal said:

I am on the sell high Demko train....great goalie but if there was any asset to sell high on (like signing Nikita) these are the risks one takes and bring back a hotshot winger for Petey..and if Petey does not go into high gear for most of the year....then he has some explaining to do. 

Good thing that the first year of his contract has no trade clauses at all. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who would say no to including him in a trade for Necas?

I’m not against it, but I think we should try to recover a first or second round pick in this year’s draft. Obviously Silovs won’t get us a first, but a second is possible.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Going with an unproven back up is toying with disaster IMO.

What happens if Demko goes down and we’re left with a tandem of Silovs and Tolopilo? That’s how the season could go sideways real quick.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Going with an unproven back up is toying with disaster IMO.

What happens if Demko goes down and we’re left with a tandem of Silovs and Tolopilo? That’s how the season could go sideways real quick.

Yeah, Silovs had an impressive stretch but he's still largely unproven at the NHL level

If the Canucks are serious about making the playoffs again they'll likely opt for a more experienced backup, particularly if DeSmith is willing to come back on the cheap (because every bit of cap matters)

• Cheers 1

Media says a lot of things, and a lot of them are wrong. Hronek was apparently a 8mil player, period. How much did he sign for? Petey was a 12.5mil guy, period. How much did he sign for? Joshua was apparently leaving for 4mil? Where and how much did he sign for? I am waiting for news that Zads is coming back at 4.5mil after the media kept saying he's getting 5.5-6mil. If the media says something, I almost always assume the opposite now.

Edit: I'd also like to point out how many people sound like hiring agencies. "He can't be a backup cause he lacks NHL experience." How is he supposed to get NHL experience in the AHL? 🤔 He'll be 24 next year. He's about that age where he should start sniffing the NHL. Demko at this age was the backup to Markstrom. Maybe we should also have faith that Silovs can be backup. Find some vet type guy like a Pickard as insurance if he's not ready. Wham bam thank you ma'am. I dunno. I just think Silovs is only going to get NHL experience playing in the NHL. He's good enough to at least backup, if he's good enough to start in the playoffs over DeSmith against the greatest scoring threat the league has ever seen.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The key is managing Demko’s load.

With Abby being right there you can call him up any time you want.

100% the way he plays we have to manage his starts better and have the depth to do so or to cover if / when hes hurt

Another thing to consider is chemistry. Clearly Demko and DeSmith had it on and off the ice.

An underrated part of the backups role is the morale boost that they can give the starter. Is he good at keeping things light and positive and being a cheerleader for Demko?

I would say him likely being runner up for the Vezina says he was in a good environment. His teammates seem to all love his positive attitude as well.

• Like 1