[RUMOUR] DeSmith might be back, what does this mean for Silovs?

JR and Allvin like their prospects to simmer for as long as possible so they'll be NHL ready when they step in. That's why I think that Silovs, Lekkeramaki, and Willander are at least a season away.

Also DeSmith was well liked by the rest of the team.

11 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Don’t be worried. I was listening to the goalie expert guy they have on 650 every week and he said we needed a proven veteran as every team now goes through 3 goalies.

We also need to stop playing Dem more than 50 games. Enough is enough with that

We played him 51 games this year and that was enough to break him.   Get that if he was paced better things would have worked out differently.   We won't win as many games without Demko too.   Hard to factor that in.    Last year we were playing for the playoffs.   This year we should be  playing for the cup.   So that's the difference.     De-Smith and Silovs can share the loads. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Trading Silovs for a second rounder would be insane in my opinion.  From what we've seen of him so far, he has a great future.

I'm going to throw something out there that's a little insane crazy.....curious how crazy people think it really is.  What are the odds that management and Clark see Silovs and DeSmith as "good enough" with a brighter future ahead?  Silovs is slightly bigger than Demko, already has the mentality of winning titles, is younger, cheaper and doesn't have a history of injuries.  

Trading Demko right now would seem insane, but it would create much needed cap space and Demko's value may be as high as it ever will be (Vezina nomination, injury history could mean more injuries).  Demko has 2 more years left on his great contract.....but then he'll want huge money at the age of 30 after a long line of injuries.  The return on Demko should be considerable to restock some picks and prospects.

Nobody wants to trade Demko, but it's possible they will want to do it before the end of his contract if they believe in Silovs (and DeSmith to keep Silovs fresh).  Also, it would give them the ability to lock up the big Z, JG and likely another solid D (haven't done the math to confirm the latter). If they could lock up their best players for the next three years without Demko, then the salary cap hike over the next year can be put towards Boeser and the following year or two will take care of Hughes.  

So would a Silovs - DeSmith tandem be good enough with a crazy good D and 3 excellent forward lines?  I would think so, but it's of course a bit of a leap based on a short observation period of Silovs.

Insane?  Kind of, but worth considering.  I'm not sure why DeSmith comes into the equation if Demko wasn't in the trade rumours......Silovs is ready.

De-Smith isn't getting many more deals...his career is wrapping up.   The cheap vet journeyman back-up.   Silovs De-Smith almost certainly won't be enough.    He's a few years away from getting to where Demko was when he broke in.   That's the sort of goaltending (bubble), that inspires one to not sign your star goalie and protect Demko in the ED.     Silovs played behind a much better team than we had in the bubble, a real actual NHL D-corp for one.     A great third line and Brock/Miller next level.   

Sure they are planning on a succession plan, ideally Silov's plays out of his mind, forces himself onto the team, and challenges Demko for starts.   IF that happens, and it's a big IF, then you consider not re-signing and trading Demko.   

How many times has a goalie come in hot and fizzled out?    Or a vet had a career year.    Often.     Silov's is a very good prospect, there isn't a team in the league that would choose him for their starter though. 

First let's see him be a star in the AHL.   Like Markstrom and Demko were. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I do wonder if a trade of Silovs might be in the works. If they think his NHL starter potential is overrated, or even simply that they need assets for now, they might trade him.

He won't return much.  Goalies seldom do and despite a solid playoffs he's still by in large an unproven commodity 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

He won't return much.  Goalies seldom do and despite a solid playoffs he's still by in large an unproven commodity 

I suspect PA can resign Silovs cheaper than DeSmith. Play Silovs as the back up at 30 games and at the end of next season the Canucks will have options. If Silovs shows well they can pencil him in long term and maybe trade Demko based on possible return. Demko's injury history makes me nervous. Especially since he has to be resigned soon.

15 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Trading Silovs for a second rounder would be insane in my opinion.  From what we've seen of him so far, he has a great future.

I'm going to throw something out there that's a little insane crazy.....curious how crazy people think it really is.  What are the odds that management and Clark see Silovs and DeSmith as "good enough" with a brighter future ahead?  Silovs is slightly bigger than Demko, already has the mentality of winning titles, is younger, cheaper and doesn't have a history of injuries.  

Trading Demko right now would seem insane, but it would create much needed cap space and Demko's value may be as high as it ever will be (Vezina nomination, injury history could mean more injuries).  Demko has 2 more years left on his great contract.....but then he'll want huge money at the age of 30 after a long line of injuries.  The return on Demko should be considerable to restock some picks and prospects.

Nobody wants to trade Demko, but it's possible they will want to do it before the end of his contract if they believe in Silovs (and DeSmith to keep Silovs fresh).  Also, it would give them the ability to lock up the big Z, JG and likely another solid D (haven't done the math to confirm the latter). If they could lock up their best players for the next three years without Demko, then the salary cap hike over the next year can be put towards Boeser and the following year or two will take care of Hughes.  

So would a Silovs - DeSmith tandem be good enough with a crazy good D and 3 excellent forward lines?  I would think so, but it's of course a bit of a leap based on a short observation period of Silovs.

Insane?  Kind of, but worth considering.  I'm not sure why DeSmith comes into the equation if Demko wasn't in the trade rumours......Silovs is ready.

I do not think this is far fetched at all, but I also know how much of a leader and culture carrier Demmer is in the locker room. One of the things that has made this team special and cause guys to come back on hometown discounts is the relationships they have built on and off the ice. Just look at Demmer's IG post after Mysie got signed. "Best day of my life!" Who posts that? Someone who is appreciative of this team's culture and his teammates. Unless Demmer has legit long-term injury issues due to a regression I do not see management letting him go. He was a top 3 Vezina finalist and would have won had he stayed healthy. That is very hard to replace and as a tendy makes him an even more rare commodity given there are only 1 starter per team, but multiple forwards and dmen. It is a fair point and question though. I just do not think PA or JR are at that point just yet. Watch them make me eat crow at the draft lol. 

Edited by Odjickwillkillyou
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

What if we are trading a goalie? You never know with these guys. 

Then we’d need to acquire another goalie.

Again we’re gonna need three goalies. Wouldn’t be surprised if the opening night roster has three goalies and they just use callups from the farm when they need them.

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Wrong said:

How high would you rate Silov, what is his ceiling? Is he as promising as Demko was at his age?
Has Demko lived up to the promise( he is in his prime now)?

I think Silovs is more athletic to be honest. Demko is better positionally and is a more of a technical goalie. If Silovs ever caught up to Demko positionally, he’d surpass him. 

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Then we’d need to acquire another goalie.

Again we’re gonna need three goalies. Wouldn’t be surprised if the opening night roster has three goalies and they just use callups from the farm when they need them.

agreed.

This all just seems weird to me. If teams went weeks without analyzing every position, then I wouldn’t blink at a report like this. But from end of season to as of last week, the Canucks were set to go. Now all of a sudden a 180 pivot and they want an experienced backup. Does that mean Demko’s rehab is not going well? Did he have a setback? Is there an intriguing trade on the table? It’s fun to speculate. It would be hard to believe that the brass was just sitting around and one of them said, “you know, I think maybe we should have an experienced back up”. And everyone else said, “Yeah, that’s a good idea! Your right”. 

Because it’s a sudden change. I believe that it’s 1 of the 2. Either Demko is having an early offseason set back, or the team has been given a tempting trade offer that are making the Canucks consider a change in goal.  

Let’s see where this goes. 

As fun and crazy as it would be to make noise with Demko or Silovs trade it seems unlikely for a lot of reasons.
Sawchenko is leaving for UFA that's all.  Silovs is waiver exempt still for another 70 games or so.

Demko/DeSmith with lots of Silovs callups so Demmer can hopefully actually load manage and Silovs can get more NHL games while still honing in the AHL.

9 minutes ago, John McClane said:

This all just seems weird to me. If teams went weeks without analyzing every position, then I wouldn’t blink at a report like this. But from end of season to as of last week, the Canucks were set to go. Now all of a sudden a 180 pivot and they want an experienced backup. Does that mean Demko’s rehab is not going well? Did he have a setback? Is there an intriguing trade on the table? It’s fun to speculate. It would be hard to believe that the brass was just sitting around and one of them said, “you know, I think maybe we should have an experienced back up”. And everyone else said, “Yeah, that’s a good idea! Your right”. 

Because it’s a sudden change. I believe that it’s 1 of the 2. Either Demko is having an early offseason set back, or the team has been given a tempting trade offer that are making the Canucks consider a change in goal.  

Let’s see where this goes. 

Nothing was ever said by management to indicate we were set to go with letting DeSmith go. 

Yes the media was hyping Silovs as the next back up after he was the hot hand in the playoffs, but that’s it. 

I have no doubt Demko will be back to speed for the coming season, why wouldn't he. After what all of Canuck nation saw what Silovs could do in an

NHL net, why on earth wouldn't they have him for Thatcher's net mate? 

What we saw was no illusion, that was as real as it gets. I mean if you want to go all in, that's the way. Little less work for Demko.

DeSmith doesn't hit the necessary mark as a second goaltender IMO. Silovs does.

21 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That would be the responsible thing to do in terms of having an NHL pedigree backup behind Demko and a starter in the AHL playing games and in a position to be called up if Demko is out for a stretch.

As for DeSmith, you'd have to think it stings a little to have the starter go down and then unable to secure the role and play games when they mean the most. He could have a better opportunity elsewhere. 

How did DeSmith get injured? 

6 hours ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I do not think this is far fetched at all, but I also know how much of a leader and culture carrier Demmer is in the locker room. One of the things that has made this team special and cause guys to come back on hometown discounts is the relationships they have built on and off the ice. Just look at Demmer's IG post after Mysie got signed. "Best day of my life!" Who posts that? Someone who is appreciative of this team's culture and his teammates. Unless Demmer has legit long-term injury issues due to a regression I do not see management letting him go. He was a top 3 Vezina finalist and would have won had he stayed healthy. That is very hard to replace and as a tendy makes him an even more rare commodity given there are only 1 starter per team, but multiple forwards and dmen. It is a fair point and question though. I just do not think PA or JR are at that point just yet. Watch them make me eat crow at the draft lol. 

Completely agree about the culture.  Very cool seeing that post about Myers and also seeing him get up at the awards show to hug QH.  Not to mention his hugs for DeSmith in the playoffs.  It would be cold for management to trade him......but injuries have to come in to the asset management discussions at some point.

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

De-Smith isn't getting many more deals...his career is wrapping up.   The cheap vet journeyman back-up.   Silovs De-Smith almost certainly won't be enough.    He's a few years away from getting to where Demko was when he broke in.   That's the sort of goaltending (bubble), that inspires one to not sign your star goalie and protect Demko in the ED.     Silovs played behind a much better team than we had in the bubble, a real actual NHL D-corp for one.     A great third line and Brock/Miller next level.   

Sure they are planning on a succession plan, ideally Silov's plays out of his mind, forces himself onto the team, and challenges Demko for starts.   IF that happens, and it's a big IF, then you consider not re-signing and trading Demko.   

How many times has a goalie come in hot and fizzled out?    Or a vet had a career year.    Often.     Silov's is a very good prospect, there isn't a team in the league that would choose him for their starter though. 

First let's see him be a star in the AHL.   Like Markstrom and Demko were. 

Have to agree with you.  What we don't know though is what the expectations are for Demko's health.  If he's healthy by September, of course you're correct.  If not, it starts becoming a discussion that management doesn't want I'm sure.  This is perhaps where the rumours of Vancouver wanting a veteran goalie come in.  DeSmith can't take the #1 spot, so it would only make sense for them to sign him for the minors......but I think he can get back-up time elsewhere still.

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect PA can resign Silovs cheaper than DeSmith. Play Silovs as the back up at 30 games and at the end of next season the Canucks will have options. If Silovs shows well they can pencil him in long term and maybe trade Demko based on possible return. Demko's injury history makes me nervous. Especially since he has to be resigned soon.

Feel that's best case.   Also don't understand why a few posters are considering this anything special.   Hammond (OTT) does anyone even know who he is?  Or remember Boucher from PHI (has a record Roy or Sawchuk or Brouduer or Parent or Dryden or Furh don't have)?    Goaltending by far is the most fickle position, and well, I remember the goalie MTL got for Roy was supposed to be the next big thing.   And Ranford (who definitely earned his Conn Smythe) disappears like Jim Carey.     Ben Bishop.   There aren't many guys that get to 250 non shoot out/OTW goalies.   300 is top bar. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I have no doubt Demko will be back to speed for the coming season, why wouldn't he. After what all of Canuck nation saw what Silovs could do in an

NHL net, why on earth wouldn't they have him for Thatcher's net mate? 

What we saw was no illusion, that was as real as it gets. I mean if you want to go all in, that's the way. Little less work for Demko.

DeSmith doesn't hit the necessary mark as a second goaltender IMO. Silovs does.

It's about depth.   Silovs won't cost much, and still has a lot to prove.      De-Smith doesn't. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Feel that's best case.   Also don't understand why a few posters are considering this anything special.   Hammond (OTT) does anyone even know who he is?  Or remember Boucher from PHI (has a record Roy or Sawchuk or Brouduer or Parent or Dryden or Furh don't have)?    Goaltending by far is the most fickle position, and well, I remember the goalie MTL got for Roy was supposed to be the next big thing.   And Ranford (who definitely earned his Conn Smythe) disappears like Jim Carey.     Ben Bishop.   There aren't many guys that get to 250 non shoot out/OTW goalies.   300 is top bar. 

Washed up Bill Ranford did have those two awesome games in the playoffs for Detroit that one year, 1998 or something.  Came off the bench for one last playoff hurrah just like King Richard did for the Whalers in 1988.  They were like Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby, old dogs with one good fight left in them still.  Fellow WHA legend John Garrett for the Nordiques in 1982 as well.  Almost ended up Brodeur vs. Garrett in the final.

I think Edmonton gave up Moog for Ranford if I remember right so it was value for value...the two ended up against each other in the finals.

Heh Brian Boucher...if you're going to have a small career, may as well have a blaze of glory in there somewhere.  Chris Kontos, John Druce, Cowan the Brabarian...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

I think we have a great situation in goal. I want to have exactly the same setup as last season, but with less starts for Demko. Much less pressure if/when Demko goes down to bring up Silovs as the starter, now that he proved he can manage the pressure in a playoff.

Both Silovs and Desmith should be re-signed.

Come on, when Demko's healthy, I think his is the best goalie in the league.