[Signing] Canucks to Qualify and Re-Sign Jett Woo

1 minute ago, Devron said:

We need his depth 

I don’t see him cracking the lineup, unless we are dealing with 3 or 4 injuries to the blue line at once. He’s behind Juulsen and Friedman. Maybe McWard too.

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t see him cracking the lineup, unless we are dealing with 3 or 4 injuries to the blue line at once. He’s behind Juulsen and Friedman. Maybe McWard too.

2 of those guys are penciled in the top 6 until we fill those spots. 

4 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

They should just trade him to a team that lacks any kind of depth. 

Kinda feels like that's us. Lol. Friedman, McWard, and Woo are all in that mix of whoever gives us more will get the looks. I like the competition if nothing else. Besides, it'll likely be a 1 year deal type thing anyway. Afterwards Friedman and likely Woo are gone barring Woo really showing he's got what it takes.

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

2 of those guys are penciled in the top 6 until we fill those spots. 

They will be and I suspect Juulsen to be the 6th and Friedman to be the 7th, unless we upgrade.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

They should just trade him to a team that lacks any kind of depth. 

Why would we develop him for the last, what, five years, only to trade him away when he's getting closer? 

24 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Probably a make or break year for Woo at this point. Hope he has a good off season and gets some time with the big club this year.

Not really a make-or-break year. He's only turning 24 one month from now. He's been progressing nicely. But I do agree that it would be great if he could see some NHL ice this year. Regardless, he'll have a big role in Abby and should be fighting for a spot the following year or two.

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Why would we develop him for the last, what, five years, only to trade him away when he's getting closer? 

Not really a make-or-break year. He's only turning 24 one month from now. He's been progressing nicely. But I do agree that it would be great if he could see some NHL ice this year. Regardless, he'll have a big role in Abby and should be fighting for a spot the following year or two.

I think it would be make or break for him with us. There's also a limit for how long a player is willing to stay in an organization (and vice versa) without getting extended looks with the big club.

I'm rooting for Woo, and he could still make the roster, but it could also be that he has a better chance elsewhere for more ice time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ngoway said:

I think it would be make or break for him with us. There's also a limit for how long a player is willing to stay in an organization (and vice versa) without getting extended looks with the big club.

I'm rooting for Woo, and he could still make the roster, but it could also be that he has a better chance elsewhere for more ice time.

When an organization has a development program like we now do, players like him with character are less likely to want out when they know they're progressing and will get a look when he's ready.

55 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

If he shows up and makes the team soon and we sign big Z boy are we going to have a punishing blue-line with Hronek, Juulsen and Myers included.

He's not making the team soon. Career depth guy at best unless something significant changes. 

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

When an organization has a development program like we now do, players like him with character are less likely to want out when they know they're progressing and will get a look when he's ready.

Agreed that we've got good development and staff. It will vary from prospect to prospect, but we can't overlook a prospects desire to want to play in the NHL. Woo has been in the AHL for about 3 and 1/2 to 4 seasons now, and am sure he's thought about how if he were to go elsewhere, he could get some legitimate NHL time.

Also now that he's nearly in his mid 20's he's also nearing the "not a prospect" phase anymore and could just end up being in the AHL/other leagues relatively soon. All that to say again that I hope Woo makes it, and makes it with us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Agreed that we've got good development and staff. It will vary from prospect to prospect, but we can't overlook a prospects desire to want to play in the NHL. Woo has been in the AHL for about 3 and 1/2 to 4 seasons now, and am sure he's thought about how if he were to go elsewhere, he could get some legitimate NHL time.

Also now that he's nearly in his mid 20's he's also nearing the "not a prospect" phase anymore and could just end up being in the AHL/other leagues relatively soon. All that to say again that I hope Woo makes it, and makes it with us.

He’s definitely not a prospect anymore.

And I think we have to start coming to terms with the fact that he’s not an NHL-caliber player either.