[Speculation] Matt Roy will hit the UFA market

21 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Agreed that Guentzel would cost us too much even if he would be a great fit.

We could really use a legitimate top 4 RD and maybe that allows Hronek to play on the second pairing with Zadorov (hopefully he resigns soon). Then resign Myers to play with Soucy in the 3rd pair, and that D corp is looking nice.

Ya Soucy with Juulsen is a better fit given how calming Soucy is

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Guentzel hits free agency, I think Carolina will find a way to get it done 

Sure. But if he does and we sign him say for $8.75m, why not all 3? Or Marchessault at +/- $7.5 and all 3?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. But if he does and we sign him say for $8.75m, why not all 3? Or Marchessault at +/- $7.5 and all 3?

I dunno, I'm generally not keen on acquiring Guentzel. I would prefer to build more overall team depth, particularly on D. 

Alternatively, nab Roy, Carrier, and Marchessault. 

Edited by Coconuts

Roy would legitimately solidify our D and be a perfect partner for Hughes. And how do you say no at $5.8?

Hronek also gets a chance to run his own pair. Sign Dillon for $2.8 and play him or Soucy with Hronek.

That leaves a decent chunk of cash to pick up some solid forwards. Like Stephenson, Debrusk, Duclair, etc.

Leave Geuentzel for some other team. With all our dead cap, we need highly efficient contracts, and when it gets up into the 9s, it gets harder and harder to extract enough value.

5 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Roy would legitimately solidify our D and be a perfect partner for Hughes. And how do you say no at $5.8?

Hronek also gets a chance to run his own pair. Sign Dillon for $2.8 and play him or Soucy with Hronek.

That leaves a decent chunk of cash to pick up some solid forwards. Like Stephenson, Debrusk, Duclair, etc.

Leave Geuentzel for some other team. With all our dead cap, we need highly efficient contracts, and when it gets up into the 9s, it gets harder and harder to extract enough value.

I like the idea of Soucy-Roy as well, just shut things down defensively 5 on 5, and have Hughes-Hronek do it by controlling play. Thats a huge chunk of the non-special teams time right there with us dominating defensively or offensively. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, I'm generally not keen on acquiring Guentzel. I would prefer to build more overall team depth, particularly on D. 

Alternatively, nab Roy, Carrier, and Marchessault. 

IMO, you grab one of Guentz/Reinhart (ha!)/Stamkos(Haha!)/Marchessault/Arvidsson...maybe Stephenson.. If you can't get one of those guys, you're better off going the trade route than overpaying for middling guys that lack key facets (speed, 2 way play etc). AKA future 2nd round picks to Chicago.

Then yeah, we target one of Tanev/Pesce/Roy/Carrier/Miller/trade for Marino

After that you bring back Zad or replace him with Dillon.

Fill in the rest with money-puck guys and kids on ELCs

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Forget Lindholm and  Myers, lets load up on D 

Hughes Roy

Zedorov Hronek 

Soucy Tanev 

I guess you missed the part where Myers just re-signed 3x3