[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers (3 Years x $3 Million)

38 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

This really shows what a great guy and teammate Demko is because Myers has absolutely killed our goalies over the years with all his brutal plays that have allowed the opposing players to score all the goals they did against them lol

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MoneyMiller said:

I've loved everything PA and JR have done but don't like this one at all.

I'd rather use that much needed 3m towards Tanev any day. Tanev is 5 times better than Myers and would really help this team get better and go far where as Myers just barely gets by always on the edge of getting beat and exposed taking too many stupid penalties.

They could've used Juulsen on the 3rd pairing for far cheaper and there's no way Myers is a top 4 defenseman.

If they spent this on chaos giraffe  Myers and now don't get the most important guy Zadorov signed I'll be absolutely pissed.

I basically tapped out of your post at “Tanev is 5 times better than Myers…” .

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, ronning4center said:

Oof. I sure hope zads is next or I will be quite disappointed. I do like these signings but zadorov had the biggest playoff impact out of all of them.

According to cap friendly we now have 14.5 mill left.  Lots of room for zads and some scoring wingers

What's worrisome is that if Myers got 3m, Z might want 5

2 hours ago, Nucks780 said:

The opportunity is coming lol but the more money we dish out on our ufa's the less we have for an impactful upgrade.

We learnt our lesson lol. Petey will pull a Stone and go LTIR right before TDL and come back for game 1 of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

It's like you fail to acknowledge the work and impact of the new coaching staff.

No, just not my signing. I liked the rest thats been done so far

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Considering the way they're used, I'd say RT thinks so too

Zad is great… and he did get a bump in TOI in the playoffs. But overall career comparison… Myers has definitely been the superior player. I’d say at this point they’re close and Zad may be the better player by the end of the next year or two. 

Myers has established himself as a top 4 d. Zad has yet to do that. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Zad is great… and he did get a bump in TOI in the playoffs. But overall career comparison… Myers has definitely been the superior player. I’d say at this point they’re close and Zad may be the better player by the end of the next year or two. 

Myers has established himself as a top 4 d. Zad has yet to do that. 

Thing about Z is that he puts fear in the opponent and backs it up.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tanev, Pesce, Roy, Miller, Carrier should all be in that $4-5.5m range, 

6 and change for Pesce and maybe Roy.    4.5 for Tanev yep.    Soucy Myers is the second pairing until it's not.   Still have money to do something like Dillon (also around 3)  and one of those guys, or Zadarov maybe and one of these guys, just depends on what we do for EP.   Soucy Myers as a third pairing isn't that steep, and is a killer third unit.   

And of course these guys have to want to come to Vancouver.   Not all of them will, and we can't compete with Dallas tax wise (and most US states). 

Edited by IBatch

I love the signing man

He's RHD.. yes 3rd paid but able to play up and down and fill in

Veteran presence

He logs 2+ mins a game on PK

He hits, he blocks

He can skate & move the puck out

He was also a beast in the playoffs for us

Hope the next signing is Zadorov now. I liked our defense last year and I think Hughes, Hronek and Juulsen will be even better

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

$500,000 less than I'd pencilled in, but an extra year I would not have done.

ok deal- but only ok.

They could easily trade Myers at that price to 15 team NTC so I would expect him to play at this level for at least 2 years. I do not mind 2 years but one extra year at 37 years old and we do not know what kind of level he would be at that time.  If he was 32 years old, then this contract would have been excellent.  I give it a B for that re-sign.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Devron said:

My favourite hit. Still not thrilled about this deal though. It’s like we’ve forgotten the years before last 

If we had Myers for 3 his last contract, we'd all be ecstatic.   What people aren't factoring in was Myer's and Tanev weren't enough.   And Tanev was often injured.   Sure amazing what happens when you ice 6 legit NHLers instead of 3 or 4 and AHLers.   And usually one of those guys was out (Edler or Tanev) for significant time. 

We still have one spot on the right side.  And one spot on the left to fill.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

With Myers being 34 and not 35, if he were to retire before the final year wouldn’t it go away without any penalty to us?

Perhaps the behind the scenes plan as a way to bring his AAV down to $3M and save us the few hundred thousand a year like everyone else has so far. 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

What's worrisome is that if Myers got 3m, Z might want 5

Z is predicted to get around 5.25 yes.   Myers got exactly what he was predicted to get. 

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we had Myers for 3 his last contract, we'd all be ecstatic.   What people aren't factoring in was Myer's and Tanev weren't enough.   And Tanev was often injured.   Sure amazing what happens when you ice 6 legit NHLers instead of 3 or 4 and AHLers.   And usually one of those guys was out (Edler or Tanev) for significant time. 

We still have one spot on the right side.  And one spot on the left to fill.  

Yeah it’s looking good. And I agree 100% I remember Edler getting shit on all the time. He was like a no.3 Dman playing no.1 minutes. But I have seen enough over the year and would have like to have seen something different here. I’m bothered by the NMC and the third year. But it is what it is and regardless of that our defence core is looking pretty good again 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

imagine how much better the miller-boeser line would be though if you could upgrade their winger too

petey doesnt need a superstar beside him, just someone with good enough hands and vision

anson carter scored 30+ goals beside the sedins

The Sedins had a lot of Carter level and better players try out over the years, it just worked that year.    They were the anti-middle six to top six player booster, for much of their career, until we found Burrows, nobody seemed to click with them (one year of Carter).   So not a great example.    LE was supposed to be "a great addition".    History said that would be unlikely.   No Art Ross trophies without Burrows, he was the perfect compliment, out of at least 10 players that tried out with them over their careers.   It was symbiotic. 

Allvin works with pairs (JR).   In the cap world it's about the best you can do, especially in a Canadian or high tax market.   Can't have it all, without sacrificing somewhere else.    We have a higher cost first pairing D then most.   But enough left to round out the rest of our D with 4/5 guys.   No 6/7's unless we spend too much on the forwards and end up going with Juulsen which isn't the worst thing in the world unless we have injury problems.   Look what happened last year with Soucy.    We had our first rough patch until Zadarov came in.

It would be nice to have extra money for Brock and Miller.   At this point we have enough to bring back Zadarov, and Guentzel.   Or we can try for two more Mikheyev/Garland pay scale guys.   Those don't always work out.   

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah it’s looking good. And I agree 100% I remember Edler getting shit on all the time. He was like a no.3 Dman playing no.1 minutes. But I have seen enough over the year and would have like to have seen something different here. I’m bothered by the NMC and the third year. But it is what it is and regardless of that our defence core is looking pretty good again 

Should be ok for two years.   Third year if we need to trade him we do that.    A lot of that will depend on who we decide to use on the remaining right spot.   And who is actually willing to sign with us of who's remaining.   Guys going for money, won't get it here.    It will be a big tell on when they see Willander making the team too.   If it's Juulsen, they are keeping the spot open.     Tanev won't sign for less than two years.    Pesce and Roy are getting 5-6 years. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

A little higher and longer than I expected. But I think they payed a little extra for the leadership he brings. To me TM is a third pair RHD.

Now what's next, JG or Big Z? I don't think PA can get both done.