[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers (3 Years x $3 Million)

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Tocchet and his coaches tamed the chaos. Assuming that continues its good deal for the Canucks.

Allvin sure made it easier for them too. 

31 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

A little higher and longer than I expected. But I think they payed a little extra for the leadership he brings. To me TM is a third pair RHD.

Now what's next, JG or Big Z? I don't think PA can get both done.

Money is there for both guys.   They might be waiting on Zadarov to do Guentzel.   Sure hope that it doesn't cost us Zadarov though.   Might be one team out there willing to overpay, which could price him off the team.     You could be right it might be neither.    Think Zadarov might hold off signing until they've had time to do Guentzel.  

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Money is there for both guys. 

And fill up the rest with Abby guys? I'd take that in the blink of an eye. 

But if JG is 9.5 than we have 5 for Big Z (i guess LTIR can be used during offseason?).

Or JG 9 and Big Z 5.5.. 

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s shown more progression both defensively and offensively under Tocchet’s award winning coaching than he has in Calgary, Colorado, Chicago and Buffalo combined. 

His end to end rushes culminating in over the shoulder goals against Skinner and Saros were sublime. 

He was a dominant force physically during the playoffs, but also played smart and effective in his own end. 

Many want to view Z’s performance in the playoffs in a vacuum rather than think that maybe in Vancouver he’s putting a lot of strengths together under the tutelage of all world players. 

Canucks have had their share of players with size who’ve brought a physical element, but none have been as consistent and devastating in their delivery of it as Zadorov. 

Letting him walk just means that he’ll pulverize Canucks next season. 

First priority for me was Zadarov.   Not a recency thing, it's the entire sample size.   Team went on a roll when he came too.    He's fun to watch play too.    Pretty sure we see him done soon. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Hammertime said:

image.thumb.png.1d3e9660af396142a49969dd9b86b036.png

The way I see it there's room for Guentzel and a $3m D or Zadorov and a 6m FWD. 

Next season doesn't worry me, it's the season after with the OEL buyout is 4 million and what to do with Boeser. if Boeser has another 40 goal season, keeping him has to be a priority. 

5 hours ago, Devron said:

My favourite hit. Still not thrilled about this deal though. It’s like we’ve forgotten the years before last 

The ones with no solid defensive system, different coaches and Meyers being overplayed? Those forgotten years? He’s been great since Toch and co have implemented a solid system that suits his strengths.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Next season doesn't worry me, it's the season after with the OEL buyout is 4 million and what to do with Boeser. if Boeser has another 40 goal season, keeping him has to be a priority. 

That is going to be a tough one. I wouldn't want to commit to a super long deal with Brock. His foot speed is almost guaranteed to cause him issues as he gets older. How many years of prime brock do you get before that contract is a lead ball?

48 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

That is going to be a tough one. I wouldn't want to commit to a super long deal with Brock. His foot speed is almost guaranteed to cause him issues as he gets older. How many years of prime brock do you get before that contract is a lead ball?

It's never been his game.   His foot speed shouldn't slow down until he's 33-34 or so.   Get that the latter part of his next deal will be a risk, it's like that for all UFA's.     If he duplicates last season, yeah, we want to keep him.   We also want to keep him if he regresses a little and scores 35.   He's also a very good passer.   His hockey IQ is very high, and plays a two-way game.    Doesn't shy away from anything.     Unlike Tofu.   

See Brock as this teams Patrick Sharp.   Both good looking dudes, both part of the core.   He's finally doing what we hoped he would.    His shot, wall play and positioning/systems is his game.   That's not going away ever.    As long as his injury crap luck is in the rear view mirror, I see Brock in the same vein as Adam's was for that 90's team.   A key cog in the top six.     Bet he won't break the bank either.   Like Miller will sign a deal that works for him and the team.    

Our longest serving Canuck now.   Hell yes to keeping him.    7-8 x 7 Depending on his season.    If he scores 50 then what? 

As far as how many years until he's no longer in his prime?   Typically you're fine until a player is 32-33 unless they are top tier.   Even then almost certainly the best years are in the rear view mirror.    So figure we get 4 years of prime Brock, 2 of ok and then 2 of well it was fun while it lasted.    We had the same worries over Miller.   Funny how it's EP now, that we should be concerned about.    16-17 years is probably a realistic overall career for Brock.   Also bet if we keep him, will end up being considered a top ten all-time Canuck as well.    Has a shot at breaking Daniel Sedins goal record.   At the same age, Brock's scored 45 or so more goals, in a lot less games (covid etc).   

The Sedins also broke out at age 26.      Naslund 26-27.    That's a pretty normal time.   Look at Rhino this year.  Hyman in EDM.     Let's see what he does this year.   Miller benefited more than Brock benefited from Miller last season.    He looked amazing at camp.    Goes to show what he went through, really wasn't easy.     Didn't even want to play for awhile and it did show.     

Comes down to the cost.   Sure hope he stays with us. 

Edit:  As an aside, Daniel had 4 30 plus goal season's 41, 36, 31 and 30 that's it.   Brock's already broken his EV peak last season.    Daniel's 86 GWG's was his superpower.   One every 4.15 goals  or something just ridiculous.    Brock was having one heck of a playoffs for us this season.   Sure hope he's around for the next chapter, and gets to enjoy that part with the team.   As for foot speed, Brock looks faster than they were. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

One way to look at the OEL sunk costs is this:

The cap penalty doubles for a couple seasons, so the team will have to find 2.25 or so extra money that they don't have if we don't have any expiring deals.  

Cap is easily going up to cover that.   Likely will leave an additional 2.5 on the table.    That can go to Brock. 

What is really the pickle, is how to jam QHs and likely Demko in when they are up.    That's when we lose Garland.     Lekkerimaki and Willander in,  Myers, Garland out. 

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One way to look at the OEL sunk costs is this:

The cap penalty doubles for a couple seasons, so the team will have to find 2.25 or so extra money that they don't have if we don't have any expiring deals.  

Cap is easily going up to cover that.   Likely will leave an additional 2.5 on the table.    That can go to Brock. 

What is really the pickle, is how to jam QHs and likely Demko in when they are up.    That's when we lose Garland.     Lekkerimaki and Willander in,  Myers, Garland out. 

What’s Hughes getting when he comes up? Dahlin got over 11. Hughes is way better. Or would the Dahlin contract not factor into it? 

3 hours ago, arsenalian said:

The ones with no solid defensive system, different coaches and Meyers being overplayed? Those forgotten years? He’s been great since Toch and co have implemented a solid system that suits his strengths.

He has indeed 

4 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Could be that, alternatively could look at it as he gave us 4 years of crap and pulled it together in a contract year because of better partners carrying him. 

I'm happy Myers is back.

We need minute munching guys like him with reach and snarl. He has that and is well liked in the room and by the coaching staff who elevated his game this year.

3 million is a very fair deal imho.

Welcome back. Now get Z locked up ffs!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Could be that, alternatively could look at it as he gave us 4 years of crap and pulled it together in a contract year because of better partners carrying him. 

Going to trust the Adams winning coach on this one and believe it’s the system and playing him in a suitable role.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

sure, you could view it that way ... if you didn't watch any canucks hockey this year. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

sure, you could view it that way ... if you didn't watch any canucks hockey this year. 

Or you could view it that way if you only watched this season and ignored the 4 seasons of absolute chaos. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Or you could view it that way if you only watched this season and ignored the 4 seasons of absolute chaos. 

nobody is denying that myers was an adventure prior to tocchet's arrival, but you concluding that he did out of, what, spite? laziness? only to start actually trying hard in a contract year is, well, absurd. 

with a proper defensive structure in place, myers was finally allowed to play to his strengths. 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

nobody is denying that myers was an adventure prior to tocchet's arrival, but you concluding that he did out of, what, spite? laziness? only to start actually trying hard in a contract year is, well, absurd. 

with a proper defensive structure in place, myers was finally allowed to play to his strengths. 

So you have never seen a player seemingly pull it all together for a contract year. Not an uncommon story. 
You will also note in my original comment that he was being carried by better partners this year and yes better coaching was part of it and reduced ice time. 
Now imagine we spent that money on a player that is more consistent than giving you 1 good year in 5 when due a contract and put him in the same system with good partners. 
Some good things about Tyler but I would have preferred a more consistent and cheaper player as bottom pairing right D but since it seems we plan on using him as second pairing I have some concerns that are very fair.  If we see Tanev or another right D come in to fill that role, great I am less concerned but then we are overspending on the third pairing guy when Juulsen is sitting there at $775k. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So you have never seen a player seemingly pull it all together for a contract year. Not an uncommon story. 
You will also note in my original comment that he was being carried by better partners this year and yes better coaching was part of it and reduced ice time. 
Now imagine we spent that money on a player that is more consistent than giving you 1 good year in 5 when due a contract and put him in the same system with good partners. 
Some good things about Tyler but I would have preferred a more consistent and cheaper player as bottom pairing right D but since it seems we plan on using him as second pairing I have some concerns that are very fair.  If we see Tanev or another right D come in to fill that role, great I am less concerned but then we are overspending on the third pairing guy when Juulsen is sitting there at $775k. 

tyler myers was very consistent after adequate systems were put in place that allowed him to be. 

what he did under previous coaching regimes is next to meaningless at this point. 

• Like 1

as an aside, one guy who should be considered an authority on the importance of canucks defencemen seems pretty happy with the signing:

GRHu2ZcXkAEnEmO.thumb.jpeg.fa0712368f922194fc9bbe7668aa9173.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I basically tapped out of your post at “Tanev is 5 times better than Myers…” .

Myers defensive game isn't in the same stratosphere as Tanev's it's night and day different to anyone who can really evaluate all the details of their games that most can't.

Most fans probably like you see the odd good play that the announcer makes a huge deal about and thinks the player played so great when truth is a lot of times besides those few good plays Myers took a stupid penalty or 2, iced the puck a few times on a poor outlet passes, screened his own goalie or is absolutely useless net front not covering properly or too slow to react to loose pucks or even though has a long reach is too slow in his own zone never taking pucks away from opposing players chasing but never catching anyone and worse completely hunched over standing around like a statue giving the opposition loads of time and space to create scoring chances to just name a few poor things Myers does.

Then offensively the guy has been an absolute embarrassment to himself with all the opposition zone ice time he gets with a lot of great players scoring at an absolute horrible rate all these years. His goal totals are absolutely pathetic especially considering you'd have to at least get a few fluke bounces per season at minimal lol.

Just because Myers doesn't make the handful of total brain cramp decisions that led to Grade A chances against per game he used to doesn't mean he doesn't make any these days there's still far too many, it's his better teammates and goalies that cover up all his weaknesses for him so all you fans think he's so solid and worth having around.

Anyway my point was 3m on Myers was a waste when you could spend 2 more on Tanev who is imo and a lot of hockey people best defensive defenseman in the league and a guy that is also a master of taking away pucks and giving forwards the perfect exit passes which is another thing Myers struggles with.

Tanev is a top 4 defender and Myers is nothing other than a 3rd pairing defender on any upper level team and the Canucks would've been better off using that money elsewhere and using Juulsen who has several good defensive qualities and far cheaper.

To think we saved 4m unloading Mikheyev lost another 2nd round pick, stuck with Myers for 3 years where he could easily get worse like he used to be and gave Myers 3m of that 4m saved, will really lack defense on that right side now unless they get someone better and now maybe not be able to sign Zadorov also who is extremely important to the team who would make only 2m more than Myers is very disheartening.

• Confused 1
  • chaos 1

7 minutes ago, MoneyMiller said:

Myers defensive game isn't in the same stratosphere as Tanev's it's night and day different to anyone who can really evaluate all the details of their games that most can't.

Most fans probably like you see the odd good play that the announcer makes a huge deal about and thinks the player played so great when truth is a lot of times besides those few good plays Myers took a stupid penalty or 2, iced the puck a few times on a poor outlet passes, screened his own goalie or is absolutely useless net front not covering properly or too slow to react to loose pucks or even though has a long reach is too slow in his own zone never taking pucks away from opposing players chasing but never catching anyone and worse completely hunched over standing around like a statue giving the opposition loads of time and space to create scoring chances to just name a few poor things Myers does.

Then offensively the guy has been an absolute embarrassment to himself with all the opposition zone ice time he gets with a lot of great players scoring at an absolute horrible rate all these years. His goal totals are absolutely pathetic especially considering you'd have to at least get a few fluke bounces per season at minimal lol.

Just because Myers doesn't make the handful of total brain cramp decisions that led to Grade A chances against per game he used to doesn't mean he doesn't make any these days there's still far too many, it's his better teammates and goalies that cover up all his weaknesses for him so all you fans think he's so solid and worth having around.

Anyway my point was 3m on Myers was a waste when you could spend 2 more on Tanev who is imo and a lot of hockey people best defensive defenseman in the league and a guy that is also a master of taking away pucks and giving forwards the perfect exit passes which is another thing Myers struggles with.

Tanev is a top 4 defender and Myers is nothing other than a 3rd pairing defender on any upper level team and the Canucks would've been better off using that money elsewhere and using Juulsen who has several good defensive qualities and far cheaper.

To think we saved 4m unloading Mikheyev lost another 2nd round pick, stuck with Myers for 3 years where he could easily get worse like he used to be and gave Myers 3m of that 4m saved, will really lack defense on that right side now unless they get someone better and now maybe not be able to sign Zadorov also who is extremely important to the team who would make only 2m more than Myers is very disheartening.

rough take. 

• Cheers 3