[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers (3 Years x $3 Million)

46 minutes ago, tas said:

tyler myers was very consistent after adequate systems were put in place that allowed him to be. 

what he did under previous coaching regimes is next to meaningless at this point. 

That is an incredibly foolish way to assess a veteran. Ignore all other years except for the one decent contract year.  Pay 3 M a year for a player that if everything else goes right for him can be decent, but when the situation is not ideal is a wild ride. 
And, he was more relatively consistent than truly consistent. His previous years were just so wild that last year looked Norris quality in a relative sense. 
He still had a lot of wild adventures, he just mostly had a healthy Demko and better D partners to back him up. 
Tyler Myers is big, he is very entertaining in that he creates wild chances both ways, but consistent is not in his wheel house. 

edit:  @Provost did even better job of summarizing my feelings above. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is an incredibly foolish way to assess a veteran. Ignore all other years except for the one decent contract year.  Pay 3 M a year for a player that if everything else goes right for him can be decent, but when the situation is not ideal is a wild ride. 
And, he was more relatively consistent than truly consistent. His previous years were just so wild that last year looked Norris quality in a relative sense. 
He still had a lot of wild adventures, he just mostly had a healthy Demko and better D partners to back him up. 
Tyler Myers is big, he is very entertaining in that he creates wild chances both ways, but consistent is not in his wheel house. 

edit:  @Provost did even better job of summarizing my feelings above. 

He makes poor decisions and that won't change. He iced it on Ceci's game 7 goal.

He also looks like a linebacker catching a football when he stick handles.

Edited by chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Really good deal.

Well done brass.

yea RHD could be going for some crazy numbers next week, even the old guys.

If we didn't have Foote coming back I'd be concerned, but this should be OK. Its not a cap killer by any stretch.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea RHD could be going for some crazy numbers next week, even the old guys.

If we didn't have Foote coming back I'd be concerned, but this should be OK. Its not a cap killer by any stretch.

I will be concerned if we can’t sign another right D and Myers is shoe-horned into second pairing role. 
As an overpaid third pairing D he is decent enough though I would prefer a lower event player in that role. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I will be concerned if we can’t sign another right D and Myers is shoe-horned into second pairing role. 
As an overpaid third pairing D he is decent enough though I would prefer a lower event player in that role. 

Soucy-Myers was pretty serviceable: https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pairings.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410

It would be good to find another right side d tho, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

2yrs wouldve been better than 3 for Myers but the deal is under market value & insulates us from having to overpay another RHD in the worst case scenario.

Sadly this might mean the end of Zadorov if Tanev is available & wants to return.

I am unfortunately thinking Tanev to Toronto. 

Glad to have Myers back, his size and skating is still a good fit for this team and under Toch's calm and structure he developed from a train wreck into a very useful D this year.  

I was hoping for 2.5M or less x 2 also - would have been nice to see him take a bigger pay cut this year considering we have massively overpaid for the entirety of his 6M contract, and he lives in BC.  That being said - I remember Edler got what 4.5 x2 from LA when we let him walk then I think like another season at 2M or so, and that was a few years back. So its not a bad deal for us, it just easy to remember how hot the market can be for RHD that can still log useful minutes and transition the puck. 

3 years looks like a year too long, he's done well with injuries while he's been here and deffo takes care of himself.  U gotta worry with a dude his size that a bad LBI or two could really hamper his game.  Chara played till his 40's tho I guess. 

Little odd they seemed to have prioritized this over Big Z and a top 6 upgrade tho. I would have put TM after those 2 and above Dak.

9 hours ago, Devron said:

No, just not my signing. I liked the rest thats been done so far

But saying, "It’s like we’ve forgotten the years before last" as a way to not like this signing can be used with any other player who didn't play well under the prior coaches. Like Hughes, for example. He had a terrible +/- at one point, yet under the new coaches has flourished as well. Myers clearly had a resurgence under the new coaching staff, so we should assume it will continue and not fall back to how he played under the previous coaching staff. Even Stanley-Cup-winner OEL had a bounce-back year under new coaches. Myers at $3m/yr for what he brings to the team on and off the ice is a great deal for us. But to each their own.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

6 and change for Pesce and maybe Roy.    4.5 for Tanev yep.    Soucy Myers is the second pairing until it's not.   Still have money to do something like Dillon (also around 3)  and one of those guys, or Zadarov maybe and one of these guys, just depends on what we do for EP.   Soucy Myers as a third pairing isn't that steep, and is a killer third unit.   

And of course these guys have to want to come to Vancouver.   Not all of them will, and we can't compete with Dallas tax wise (and most US states). 

I really don't think Pesce gets that much. Especially injured and out for the start of the year as rumored.

Maybe Roy but that's likely peak payment to a likely non contender.

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s shown more progression both defensively and offensively under Tocchet’s award winning coaching than he has in Calgary, Colorado, Chicago and Buffalo combined. 

His end to end rushes culminating in over the shoulder goals against Skinner and Saros were sublime. 

He was a dominant force physically during the playoffs, but also played smart and effective in his own end. 

Many want to view Z’s performance in the playoffs in a vacuum rather than think that maybe in Vancouver he’s putting a lot of strengths together under the tutelage of all world players. 

Canucks have had their share of players with size who’ve brought a physical element, but none have been as consistent and devastating in their delivery of it as Zadorov. 

Letting him walk just means that he’ll pulverize Canucks next season. 

I hear everything you’re saying. But you shouldn’t sign a guy based on 1 or 2 month’s performance that says ‘possible top 4’ when there’s almost a decade worth to look at that says, ‘bottom pairing’. 

I want Zad back. A lot. I don’t want him back at over 5 mil a season. That’s a crazy price tag for big, mean, skates well and plays on your bottom pair. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Myers has objectively NOT established himself as a top four D.  He is a top four D just like Mikheyev is a top six forward… by default only in the absence of any competition.

He is a player that does really well in limited minutes and against lesser competition.  He is a great third pairing guy.

His entire career has been completely falling apart and flailing when asked to do more.  It is really shocking how binary it is.  You would think an elite level 3rd pairing guy could translate into an average 2nd pairing guy, and most can… Myers just… can’t.

If the team is planning on having him and Soucy as the 2nd pairing, our chance of repeating last year’s success is in peril.  Enough so that I can’t imagine that is their plan.  Signing Myers takes up money to chase someone else though and that is a worry.

Juulsen can competently fill the 3rd pairing spot for a lot less money so Myers at $3 million is a luxury only if we can afford it.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-XX

Soucy-Juulsen

Is vastly superior to:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

XX-Juulsen

lol. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

its the coaching: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/myers-finds-calmness-in-his-game-embracing-predictability-of-tocchet-s-system

Foote has figured out how to get him to simplify things, and it should be sustainable. 

That is the exact issue, and has been the issue his entire career.

He is a paint by numbers player.  You know those pictures where they have each section with a number that corresponds to what colour you put on that section and it comes out to be passable art when you are done.

That is how Myers plays hockey.  The coaches have gotten him to know where to go and how to react in different situations.  If you put him up against better opposition with more creativity, he isn’t able to adjust on the fly and reacts slowly to plays ending up a step too late.

It is the exact opposite of a guy like Tanev who has far fewer physical tools.  You can see him adjust to plays sometimes before the opposing forward even makes it just by reading how the play is setting up.  You can’t teach that and that is why defencemen often age better than forwards, they get better at that skill with experience and it can compensate for age related physical decline. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Until you sort that from most minutes together to the different stats like CF%… that pairing drops like a stone to not being that effective.

They are perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing and not many teams have one as good.

As a 2nd pairing they are far below league average.

The other thing those stats show is how badly Myers does with the young emerging guys as a pairing.  He needs Soucy badly.

That means we need two top four D now as you can’t slide Soucy into a 2nd pairing with a guy like Tanev and leave a 3rd pairing as a fringe guy and Myers… as they couldn’t be trusted to handle much of a load.

Juulsen is ready to be a #6 full time, but it would be very risky to pencil him into the top four as our only other option.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is the exact issue, and has been the issue his entire career.

He is a paint by numbers player.  You know those pictures where they have each section with a number that corresponds to what colour you put on that section and it comes out to be passable art when you are done.

That is how Myers plays hockey.  The coaches have gotten him to know where to go and how to react in different situations.  If you put him up against better opposition with more creativity, he isn’t able to adjust on the fly and reacts slowly to plays ending up a step too late.

It is the exact opposite of a guy like Tanev who has far fewer physical tools.  You can see him adjust to plays sometimes before the opposing forward even makes it just by reading how the play is setting up.  You can’t teach that and that is why defencemen often age better than forwards, they get better at that skill with experience and it can compensate for age related physical decline. 

Well said. 

31 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I swear most people in this fan base and forum wear these "always hate Myers goggles"

I find it laughable people on here are calling him a serviceable 3RHD and that's all

The guy was on the ice every single time to end the game and preserve the lead through 2 rounds of our playoffs. He was an absolute beast for us that is all situational and can move the puck and we're shitting on signing a 19-20 minute a night RHD for 3 million?

The hate for Myers around here is getting ridiculous 

I was one that over the past couple of seasons that wanted the Chaos Giraffe shot directly into the sun. This season under Foote / Gonchar tutelage the Loveable Giraffe won me over with his play - a convert in other words. His play for the most part in the playoffs was solid and I do not see much regression in his play over the contract length is he is deployed in the same way as this past season. Especially with Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar / Sedins / etc. all around to keep everyone accountable in playing the Tic Toc system. 

On that note, I really like that Tocchet isn't "its my way or the highway" kind of coach. He leans heavily on his assistant coaches and with the resumes they have why wouldn't he. 

Edited by Rocket-68

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

Until you sort that from most minutes together to the different stats like CF%… that pairing drops like a stone to not being that effective.

They are perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing and not many teams have one as good.

As a 2nd pairing they are far below league average.

The other thing those stats show is how badly Myers does with the young emerging guys as a pairing.  He needs Soucy badly.

That means we need two top four D now as you can’t slide Soucy into a 2nd pairing with a guy like Tanev and leave a 3rd pairing as a fringe guy and Myers… as they couldn’t be trusted to handle much of a load.

Juulsen is ready to be a #6 full time, but it would be very risky to pencil him into the top four as our only other option.

how well does cf% work as a stat to evaluate players on a team that actively didn't try to generate shot volume?

1 minute ago, tas said:

how well does cf% work as a stat to evaluate players on a team that actively didn't try to generate shot volume?

I would think that xGF% would be a better metric to use in this case.