[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers (3 Years x $3 Million)

3 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I would think that xGF% would be a better metric to use in this case.

I would say that a 54% hdcf combined with a 31% offensive zone starts paints a pretty decent picture. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Myers has objectively NOT established himself as a top four D.  He is a top four D just like Mikheyev is a top six forward… by default only in the absence of any competition.

He is a player that does really well in limited minutes and against lesser competition.  He is a great third pairing guy.

His entire career has been completely falling apart and flailing when asked to do more.  It is really shocking how binary it is.  You would think an elite level 3rd pairing guy could translate into an average 2nd pairing guy, and most can… Myers just… can’t.

If the team is planning on having him and Soucy as the 2nd pairing, our chance of repeating last year’s success is in peril.  Enough so that I can’t imagine that is their plan.  Signing Myers takes up money to chase someone else though and that is a worry.

Juulsen can competently fill the 3rd pairing spot for a lot less money so Myers at $3 million is a luxury only if we can afford it.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-XX

Soucy-Juulsen

Is vastly superior to:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

XX-Juulsen

First you say Myers has never established himself as a top 4. Then you show a fantasy lineup with a guy in the top 4 who hasn't been able to crack 20 minutes of ice time in his entire 11 year career.

Drake 28062024100538.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

But saying, "It’s like we’ve forgotten the years before last" as a way to not like this signing can be used with any other player who didn't play well under the prior coaches. Like Hughes, for example. He had a terrible +/- at one point, yet under the new coaches has flourished as well. Myers clearly had a resurgence under the new coaching staff, so we should assume it will continue and not fall back to how he played under the previous coaching staff. Even Stanley-Cup-winner OEL had a bounce-back year under new coaches. Myers at $3m/yr for what he brings to the team on and off the ice is a great deal for us. But to each their own.

Yeah getting a lot of flack for not liking a deal

2 hours ago, chris12345 said:

I am unfortunately thinking Tanev to Toronto. 

Canucks can probably afford one or the other but not both if they land Guentzel.

I think Tanev would like to come back but who knows if we'll be able to match what teams like Ottawa & Toronto will offer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

how well does cf% work as a stat to evaluate players on a team that actively didn't try to generate shot volume?

These stats are relative to the other pairings on the team with the exact same system.

They performed poorly compared with other pairings.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Canucks can probably afford one or the other but not both if they land Guentzel.

I think Tanev would like to come back but who knows if we'll be able to match what teams like Ottawa & Toronto will offer

At this stage in their careers, Tanev is still the better of the two (re: Myers) but you don't know how quickly his body will break down.  Myers has been pretty much free from major injuries in much of his time as a Canuck.  Sure you want both but I also want Z the be re-signed.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

These stats are relative to the other pairings on the team with the exact same system.

for shots, a stat the team doesn't care about.

Edited by tas

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is the exact issue, and has been the issue his entire career.

He is a paint by numbers player.  You know those pictures where they have each section with a number that corresponds to what colour you put on that section and it comes out to be passable art when you are done.

That is how Myers plays hockey.  The coaches have gotten him to know where to go and how to react in different situations.  If you put him up against better opposition with more creativity, he isn’t able to adjust on the fly and reacts slowly to plays ending up a step too late.

It is the exact opposite of a guy like Tanev who has far fewer physical tools.  You can see him adjust to plays sometimes before the opposing forward even makes it just by reading how the play is setting up.  You can’t teach that and that is why defencemen often age better than forwards, they get better at that skill with experience and it can compensate for age related physical decline. 

within his skill set, he was pretty consistent for us tho. And the staff knows exactly what to expect. 

Look, I agree it isn't ideal, but if you're going to run with Hughes-Hronek something has to give somewhere. 

Myers is a serviceable 4/5 with a good partner. I would have preferred a 2 year deal but the free agent market looks to be stupid pricing this year too. 

Edited by Bob Long

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

They also were tasked with facing top lines, and effectively shut down McDavid for 5 out of 7 games in the series. No other pairing/team has done that since the 2022 WCF.

25 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

They also were tasked with facing top lines, and effectively shut down McDavid for 5 out of 7 games in the series. No other pairing/team has done that since the 2022 WCF.

Barkov was handling that well in the Finals up until the time Draisaitl took his head off with that elbow.

Myers is generally unpopular due to his previous contract, but he is no longer signed at 6 million AAV. I believe he could have earned more in free agency. I think he could easily secure a 3.5 million AAV for 3 years, although I'm not certain about 4 million.

• Like 1

I don’t like it. I was hoping he’d make it to July and some other GM would have believed the hype he got in the playoffs and take him away

He was the whipping boy for multiple seasons for a reason. He’s a big boy with a long reach, but he’s lacking in hockey smarts. His giveaways to the opposition are on another level. He has either directly or indirectly caused a lot of goals against in the last 6 years. He is an Achilles heel of the back end. I was counting the days till he was gone. One of the most frustrating players to watch play.

Can’t believe how many are lulled into a false sense of security because of a few decent games in the playoffs where he was compensated by D like Zads who may not be back. 

Two more years and probably a buyout . Gotta accept it now. I’ll live with it, just like I did with Benning re signing Virtanen or other mistakes from the past. 
i fear this signing is because management is not hopeful with Z coming back. if they can re sign Z and Myers is permanently on the third pairing I can live with that, but I don’t think that’s the plan now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I don’t like it. I was hoping he’d make it to July and some other GM would have believed the hype he got in the playoffs and take him away

He was the whipping boy for multiple seasons for a reason. He’s a big boy with a long reach, but he’s lacking in hockey smarts. His giveaways to the opposition are on another level. He has either directly or indirectly caused a lot of goals against in the last 6 years. He is an Achilles heel of the back end. I was counting the days till he was gone. One of the most frustrating players to watch play.

Can’t believe how many are lulled into a false sense of security because of a few decent games in the playoffs where he was compensated by D like Zads who may not be back. 

Two more years and probably a buyout . Gotta accept it now. I’ll live with it, just like I did with Benning re signing Virtanen or other mistakes from the past. 
i fear this signing is because management is not hopeful with Z coming back. if they can re sign Z and Myers is permanently on the third pairing I can live with that, but I don’t think that’s the plan now

Unfortunately, I have agree. 

• Vintage 1

One good year outta 5 and its his contract year, wont be surprised if be goes back to complete chaos next year, cant have him in our top 4 thats for sure. 

will see what top 4 d they can pull out of their hat now. 

• Upvote 1

Until this year Myers was horrible he always thought he was Bobby Orr jumping up in the rush thinking he was some kind of superstar, I never understood how the coaching staff allowed him to do this for 4 years and handcuff his D so much. This year the coaching staff finally addressed it and had him stay back more and guess what he was more valuable for once in his 5 years, anyone trying to say Myers was good in his first 4 years are stretching any truth. His IQ is still bad that stood out this year, but overall if he stays back like he did this year at $3M is much better than $6M.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Canucks164cup said:

Until this year Myers was horrible he always thought he was Bobby Orr jumping up in the rush thinking he was some kind of superstar, I never understood how the coaching staff allowed him to do this for 4 years and handcuff his D so much. This year the coaching staff finally addressed it and had him stay back more and guess what he was more valuable for once in his 5 years, anyone trying to say Myers was good in his first 4 years are stretching any truth. His IQ is still bad that stood out this year, but overall if he stays back like he did this year at $3M is much better than $6M.

From the great hockey minds of green and bumgarter

• ThereItIs 1

100% Myers would have been paid 4M by some team out there. He’s got the size and decent foot speed. He definitely took a discount and I’m sure that’s why he got 3 years. 
Nice to see guys like Bluegar, Myers and even Joshua (could have been a 4M guy somewhere too) all taking discounts to stay here. Hoping Zadorav is the next domino to fall. Lindholm is gone for sure. After Zadorav (or a replacement) they will look for top 6 help.

2 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

100% Myers would have been paid 4M by some team out there. He’s got the size and decent foot speed. He definitely took a discount and I’m sure that’s why he got 3 years. 
Nice to see guys like Bluegar, Myers and even Joshua (could have been a 4M guy somewhere too) all taking discounts to stay here. Hoping Zadorav is the next domino to fall. Lindholm is gone for sure. After Zadorav (or a replacement) they will look for top 6 help.

Bruh.  Zads confirmed going to UFA some time ago... 😞

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I love Z but he processes the game like Myers. 

I love him because he keeps the other team honest and steps up and make big hits but his defense zone coverage is questionable at times. That shouldn't be the case when asking for 5.5m. 

They'll be times where he takes the wrong guy during a d zone scramble etc. 

I notice it on the team the most with Myers and Z. 

Soucy processes the game REALLY well. That signing was outstanding. 

• Cheers 1

When you look at the analytics side of things, our D pairs last year outside of the Hughes-Hronek pair were not very good.

For any of the significant minutes played together:

- The Soucy-Myers pair was 47% CF, 48.5% FF.

- Oddly enough, the Cole-Myers pair was better at 50.92% CF and 52.64% FF.

Maybe what we are looking for is Hughes with a new top pairing partner like Roy or Pesce?

Then Hronek with Soucy.

Myers with a Cole-like defenceman.  Forbort?

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I love Z but he processes the game like Myers. 

I love him because he keeps the other team honest and steps up and make big hits but his defense zone coverage is questionable at times. That shouldn't be the case when asking for 5.5m. 

They'll be times where he takes the wrong guy during a d zone scramble etc. 

I notice it on the team the most with Myers and Z. 

Soucy processes the game REALLY well. That signing was outstanding. 

Yes agree big Z process the game like Myers so paying 5+ mil a year with a long term contract wouldn't be such a good move, I can see us going after Brendon Dillion few years older more defensively responsible is a BC boy who put up 20pts +20 over 200 hits and over 100 block shots that comes at 4 mil or less with shorter terms will be a much better option for few years till some younger guys are ready to step in.

I love what he brought in the playoffs and a couple of bad angle goals doesn't make u special, if he signs for 4.25 - 4.75 with 4-5 years ill be ok with it.

Edited by Madskillz