[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers (3 Years x $3 Million)

For us to be a playoff team Juulsen can be 6D. But for us to be a contender for the cup Juulsen should be our #7 guy. 

Right now:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-_______

______-Myers
Juulsen

We need one more bonafide top 4 D-man. Losing both Zadorav & Cole requires a top 4 calibre D-man. If we can get a RD and put Myers on the third pairing with a capable stay at home D-man then Myers will excel at his job. 

This is the recipe for playoff success. Now which players will fill in those 2 spots will be interesting.

Edited by CanuckMan
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

For us to be a playoff team Juulsen can be 6D. But for us to be a contender for the cup Juulsen should be our #7 guy. 

Right now:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-_______

______-Myers
Juulsen

We need one more bonafide top 4 D-man. Losing both Zadorav & Cole requires a top 4 calibre D-man. If we can get a RD and put Myers on the third pairing with a capable stay at home D-man then Myers will excel at his job. 

This is the recipe for playoff success. Now which players will fill in those 2 spots will be interesting.

Matt Roy?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah I guess whoever we sign will be considered an upgrade by folk here

It'll most likely be lateral which is fine. Can't be much if any worse offensively but it'll probably be an upgrade on hockey IQ and defending while sacrificing some size and the occasional bit hits.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Right now:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-_______

______-Myers
Juulsen

It also depends on Juulsen. I can see a world where he improves his consistency enough to be a reliable number 6 on a contending team. I could also see him being a 7 who slots in occasionally. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:40 PM, SilentSam said:

You’ve watched Myers play for 6 years,

he has performed like a 3m Dman for us ,.

Myers is not a better player.

In fact at 34-37 years , he won’t be worth 3m.

What happened to all that Declining Asset Yap that everybody thought Miller would be  at 29?

Lol  it’s an overpay no matter how you look at it.

45 m to Myers for 9 years / av 5m per is an overpayment.

He did not get us closer to a Cup.

1pt in 12 playoff games.

But Zadorov had 8pts in 13 playoff games.

Nobody can tell me that Playoffs don’t matter,  they also show potential because you HAVE  to get to your best level.

Alvin mad a mistake signing Myers with the money Mihkeyev left.

The slap n the face is to Milstein who was asked to find a deal for him.

I stand by this quote.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I stand by this quote.

D do last longer than forwards in terms of age and especially bigger D with length. As long as Myers continues to improve his positioning, etc. he should out perform the deal...on him and the coaches to achieve that.

Just now, NoCupSyndrome said:

D do last longer than forwards in terms of age and especially bigger D with length. As long as Myers continues to improve his positioning, etc. he should out perform the deal...on him and the coaches to achieve that.

I agree, but the thing with Myers is he is a light frame for his size ..

Muscle density is a factor in that scenario too.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree, but the thing with Myers is he is a light frame for his size ..

Muscle density is a factor in that scenario too.

For sure; however, when I see what Jacob Middleton got for example, I feel good with what Myers can deliver under Toch's system:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/07/wild-likely-to-extend-jacob-middleton.html

Posted (edited)

Well I was pretty pissed we gave Myers 3M per and now that I see Tanev a guy that would've made us way better who is 3 times better than Myers and only 1.5M more I'm even more pissed off ugh.

Then we sign VD we could've used that $ towards Tanev as well and used Juulsen instead who is as good or better as VD

We missed out on getting much better on RHD after doing very well with all the other signings.

Edited by MoneyMiller

Posted (edited)

The one great thing that bodes well for Desharnais is how Myers improved under Foote and Gonchar. 

Myers went from whipping boy, ire-inducing, liability pariah who fans couldn't wait to run out of town to world beating, chaos controlled, discount-taking, effectively contributing re-signing Dman.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, MoneyMiller said:

Well I was pretty pissed we gave Myers 3M per and now that I see Tanev a guy that would've made us way better who is 3 times better than Myers and only 1.5M more I'm even more pissed off ugh.

Then we sign VD we could've used that $ towards Tanev as well and used Juulsen instead who is as good or better as VD

We missed out on getting much better on RHD after doing very well with all the other signings.

Tanev never made it to free agent for us to offer that and will probably never know, so what ur complaining about doesn't exist.

• Vintage 1

On 7/1/2024 at 2:28 PM, NoCupSyndrome said:

You are expecting improvement from a 34 yr old? 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You are expecting improvement from a 34 yr old? 

I'm hoping next year he is about the same, then he will go down the last 2 years.

Should have been a 2 year deal at max, or 1M less.

Zadorov for 2 million more and prime years is better for the 2nd pairing than an ageing Myers, and we will miss it in the playoffs.

Just a snippet from Drance’s latest at the Athletic re: the bottom pairing D’s ability to move the puck.

“…that the club itself even privately acknowledges could require tweaking — in terms of systems approach, or potential additions on the trade market — as the season goes along if it doesn’t work as the club hopes.

“That’s something we talked about, do we need more puck movers on our team?” Allvin noted on Monday, “But I still feel that the additions here today are capable of playing simple and within the structure we have. We anticipate playing fast hockey and I think those guys are capable of delivering a first pass.””

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

why not? its not like he's heading for early dementia. He can improve how he thinks the game. 

.....but I thought we were basing players from there past play ,no? I mean, Z was a 5/6 guy with no possiblity of improvement right? 😄

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

.....but I thought we were basing players from there past play ,no? I mean, Z was a 5/6 guy with no possiblity of improvement right? 😄

Touche.

Yea that sucked but sometimes the price is too high.

I just have a lot of faith in what Foote can do. 

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

Just a snippet from Drance’s latest at the Athletic re: the bottom pairing D’s ability to move the puck.

“…that the club itself even privately acknowledges could require tweaking — in terms of systems approach, or potential additions on the trade market — as the season goes along if it doesn’t work as the club hopes.

“That’s something we talked about, do we need more puck movers on our team?” Allvin noted on Monday, “But I still feel that the additions here today are capable of playing simple and within the structure we have. We anticipate playing fast hockey and I think those guys are capable of delivering a first pass.””

theyre well positioned for this possibility. 

if we end up in trouble, forbort or desharnais are on cheap enough contracts that it should be easy to unload them. we'd be able to afford a 4.5 million dollar defenseman after moving out one of their cap hits. if we wait longer and can accrue some cap, maybe even someone at 5m cap hit. we could get a really good puck mover with that cap space. 

not worried at all and i like that they can either upgrade at forward or D depending on how this group fares in the season

Posted (edited)

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am by how Foote and Gonchar, the coaching staff, turned around Myers after so much negativity.

I mean, just think about how angry some fans were with Myers, how over the top negative some were, how rabid some were to run him out of town, frothing at the mouth, whipping the guy for years. Some really nasty stuff was said about him.

What's fascinating is that now those same fans are swinging from Myers' pecker and glowing, beaming in glee that he re-signed and he's coming back. Especially with Zad gone and Desharnais here along with the other big guys on our blueline.

Any coaching staff that can do that, wow, just wow ... amazing!! 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

If true, all the coaches wanting him back is a pretty impressive endorsement. Demko being excited to have him back is a good endorsement as well, few probably recognize the impact of a defenceman more than their goaltender.