[Signing] Preds extend Saros

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

eight years is fking brave to lock up a goalie wow

The Islanders gave it to Sorokin, Hellebuyck got seven, Shesterkin will get one or the other

Seems like it's the norm for top flight tenders

7 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

eight years is fking brave to lock up a goalie wow

If it's in the 7 range like is suspected, might be worth. Bob just won the cup as a 10mil goalie. So, Saros at 7-8mil would be incredible. Signing anyone to 8 years is a risk. But you take that gamble on your superstars. Saros is one of the 3-5 best goalies in the game. I gamble on him at 7-8mil. And no major injuries that I am aware of. 3 straight 60+ seasons. Which is pretty good for a modern goalie. I love Saros and if they net him at around 7mil they're laughing.

The biggest question is, what happens with Askarov?

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If it's in the 7 range like is suspected, might be worth. Bob just won the cup as a 10mil goalie. So, Saros at 7-8mil would be incredible. Signing anyone to 8 years is a risk. But you take that gamble on your superstars. Saros is one of the 3-5 best goalies in the game. I gamble on him at 7-8mil. And no major injuries that I am aware of. 3 straight 60+ seasons. Which is pretty good for a modern goalie. I love Saros and if they net him at around 7mil they're laughing.

The biggest question is, what happens with Askarov?

Perhaps Askarov is a trade chip. They are looking to add offence up front. 

7 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Perhaps Askarov is a trade chip. They are looking to add offence up front. 

You have to imagine he is. But there is also no real rush to trade him, having their own Swayman/Ullmark combo would be pretty deadly. But yeah. If they lock up Juice for 7-8 years at 7-8mil. You gotta make some moves. I think they are gonna super active this offseason. They apparently want Stephenson. That'd be a nutty add. Team worth keeping an eye on. If they move Askarov+ for Marner and add Stephenson. Woooof. They have a mountain of cap space.

Edit: And a mountain of draft picks.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You have to imagine he is. But there is also no real rush to trade him, having their own Swayman/Ullmark combo would be pretty deadly. But yeah. If they lock up Juice for 7-8 years at 7-8mil. You gotta make some moves. I think they are gonna super active this offseason. They apparently want Stephenson. That'd be a nutty add. Team worth keeping an eye on. If they move Askarov+ for Marner and add Stephenson. Woooof. They have a mountain of cap space.

Edit: And a mountain of draft picks.

Well, we know 2 things: Toronto needs defence/goaltending badly and they’re looking to move Marner. They appear to be good potential trading partners, as the deal you proposed suggests.

Report: Predators’ Juuse Saros to Sign 8-Year Extension on Monday

Report: Predators’ Juuse Saros to Sign 8-Year Extension on Monday

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Nashville Predators will extend goaltender Juuse Saros to an eight-year contract on Monday (July 1). It was reported by Chris Johnston that the deal will carry an annual average of approximately $7.74 million. The contract will begin in the 2025-26 season. Saros went 35-24-5 with a 2.86 goals-against average and .906 save percentage this season.

With the goaltending market seeing Jacob Markstrom, Linus Ullmark, and Darcy Kuemper find new squads this offseason, it was widely speculated Saros could be the next name to get shipped. At just 29 years old, he would have been a prime trade candidate for teams like the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Carolina Hurricanes. Now, he can lock himself in Nashville for what could be the remainder of his career.

An extension shows Predators’ general manager Barry Trotz believes in the current core. Saros led the team to fourth place in the Central Division before ultimately falling to the Vancouver Canucks in six games in Round 1 of the 2024 Playoffs. With a young core of NHL talent and high-end prospects, Saros has become the cornerstone of a future Stanley Cup contender.

The Predators have top prospect Yaroslavv Askarov (22) waiting in the wings, and this extension puts his future with the team in question. With Kevin Lankinen set to hit the free agent market this Monday (July 1), Askarov would appear likely to assume the backup role in Nashville for the foreseeable future. However, Frank Seravalli believes the plan is to start Askarov in the AHL to begin next season, and if that is the case, Askarov may be a name to keep an eye on in the headlines.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

• Coconuts changed the title to [Signing] Preds extend Saros

demko is licking his chops right now.. 7.75mil 8 years helly 8.5mil 7 years.. and then the cap going up prolly another 3-4mil before his contract new contract will even kick in.. for those that are saying he shouldn't get more than helly.. helly signed his contract when the cap is 83.5mil.. by the time demko sign it'll be in the 90s he'll get 8.5 at least..

43 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

demko is licking his chops right now.. 7.75mil 8 years helly 8.5mil 7 years.. and then the cap going up prolly another 3-4mil before his contract new contract will even kick in.. for those that are saying he shouldn't get more than helly.. helly signed his contract when the cap is 83.5mil.. by the time demko sign it'll be in the 90s he'll get 8.5 at least..

If he maintains his level of play he could be a 10M goaltender

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I love Demko but...

IMO... He would need to play a couple full seasons and have more than 5 playoff games under his belt to get 10 million.

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Guy has been in the infirmary as much as Tanev and Salo. I dunno if I give Demmer 10mil. One 60 game season under his belt. Love the guy, but he's in 8mil territory tops barring an incredible season.

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

not from the canucks he won't. he haven't shown anything to show he can even play more than 50 games a season.. the only season he played over 50 games his play deteriorated after the 50 game mark. demko's a very good goalie but his best statistical season is worse than luongo's career avg lol. the only goalies right now that showed they can handle a heavy work load including playoff so far in the past few years?? only the russians.. vasilevkly.. bobrovsky.. shesterkin.. all other goalie that played 50+ games during the regular season either ends up injured or falling apart in the playoff.. hellebuyck demko oettinger saros etc.. honestly i think GM needs to reset the market and teams need to start looking at 1A 1B option coz the game is getting faster and goalies are facing quicker/faster shots.. and do what the NFL GM are doing with the RB.

12 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Guy has been in the infirmary as much as Tanev and Salo. I dunno if I give Demmer 10mil. One 60 game season under his belt. Love the guy, but he's in 8mil territory tops barring an incredible season.

Couple seasons of cap increase to go though, could very well be higher than 8M

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

not from the canucks he won't. he haven't shown anything to show he can even play more than 50 games a season.. the only season he played over 50 games his play deteriorated after the 50 game mark. demko's a very good goalie but his best statistical season is worse than luongo's career avg lol. the only goalies right now that showed they can handle a heavy work load including playoff so far in the past few years?? only the russians.. vasilevkly.. bobrovsky.. shesterkin.. all other goalie that played 50+ games during the regular season either ends up injured or falling apart in the playoff.. hellebuyck demko oettinger saros etc.. honestly i think GM needs to reset the market and teams need to start looking at 1A 1B option coz the game is getting faster and goalies are facing quicker/faster shots.. and do what the NFL GM are doing with the RB.

We'll see, maybe not. But it certainly won't be cheap, factor in a couple more offseasons of cap increases and he could very well be an 8-9M tender. Are there reasons to be concerned because of his health in recent years? Absolutely, but if he can stay healthy and play like he did this season.. yeah, he's gonna get a big bag. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We'll see, maybe not. But it certainly won't be cheap, factor in a couple more offseasons of cap increases and he could very well be an 8-9M tender. Are there reasons to be concerned because of his health in recent years? Absolutely, but if he can stay healthy and play like he did this season.. yeah, he's gonna get a big bag. 

ya i dunno about it..he's eligible for extension next summer?? unless he can show he can play around 55ish games + playoff i wouldn't be rushing to sign him in the summer.. and if he have another injury somewhere.. i serious consider cutting loose and trade him in the summer with a year left so you can get haul