Could we do the unthinkable?

Demko's health and injury history is something to consider moving forward. Is it worth considering moving him for  Necas and then stacking the defence and running with Silovs?

Silovs is a good, promising, young goalie, but he's only had a handful of games at the NHL level. He's not ready to be a starter, and it would be unfair to him to expect him to fill those Vezina caliber pads. Give him a few years as a backup first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

What if we moved Demko? If Silovs is ready can we trade Demko to Carolina for Necas? 

Desmith would have to take more of a load than the typical backup. Over 30% of the games I'd think. It's a duo that could get you in the playoffs, but not the cup. But could get a hell of a return with the top tier or on the verge teams needed a goalie. I would say no however. Our time is now, Siloves is a few years away yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

The thing is…Silovs is not ready to be a full time NHL starting goalie. I think all this discussion stems from concerns about Demko’s durability. 

I think Demko's durability could be an issue. Ideally, he stays healthy next year and we ride him to a cup parade. However, there's a possibility that he may never stay healthy long enough to get us there. His deal expires in 2 years and he has a 5 mil cap hit. I'm not saying we should move  him but I'm curious about the possibilities it would create.

Boston moved Ullmark (22-10-7, 2.57 GAA and 0.915 sv% before going 0-1 with 3.9 GAA and 0.884 sv%) to keep Swayman (25-10-8, 2.53 GAA and 0.916 sv% with 3 shutouts, then 6-6 in playoffs with 2.15 GAA and 0.933 sv%).  Demko is a Vezina finalist who costs $5 million per year for several more years, while Silovs' sv% is in the 0.800's.  Unless Silovs really pops off next season, I doubt this discussion needs to had just yet.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I think Demko's durability could be an issue. Ideally, he stays healthy next year and we ride him to a cup parade. However, there's a possibility that he may never stay healthy long enough to get us there. His deal expires in 2 years and he has a 5 mil cap hit. I'm not saying we should move  him but I'm curious about the possibilities it would create.

I do have the same concerns, but at the same time, Silovs just isn’t ready. I think we hold onto Demko until at least the trade deadline next year. We need to see where he and the team is at that point. This does carry some risk and lowering his trade value, but it could also maintain or increase it. I may feel differently if we had an NHL ready goalie to step in to replace him full time, but as of now, we don’t. Also, if he remains healthy and plays lights out like he can, we may not even be able to extend him and have to trade him anyway. Silovs may be ready by then. Boeser’s deal also expires then and we will probably want to extend him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I do have the same concerns, but at the same time, Silovs just isn’t ready. I think we hold onto Demko until at least the trade deadline next year. We need to see where he and the team is at that point. This does carry some risk and lowering his trade value, but it could also maintain or increase it. I may feel differently if we had an NHL ready goalie to step in to replace him full time, but as of now, we don’t. Also, if he remains healthy and plays lights out like he can, we may not even be able to extend him and have to trade him anyway. Silovs may be ready by then. Boeser’s deal also expires then and we will probably want to extend him. 

All valid points. I guess it depends on how Tocchet, Alvin, and Clark feel about Silovs. They did choose him over a healthy DeSmith after all. Maybe, he's closer than we think he is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

All valid points. I guess it depends on how Tocchet, Alvin, and Clark feel about Silovs. They did choose him over a healthy DeSmith after all. Maybe, he's closer than we think he is.

Playing Silovs over DeSmith is one thing, but Silovs over Demko at this point would be a HUGE gamble. Not sure it's the right choice. I would want Silovs to have at least a full year as a backup at the NHL level before throwing the kid into the fire full-time as a starter. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Desmith would have to take more of a load than the typical backup. Over 30% of the games I'd think. It's a duo that could get you in the playoffs, but not the cup. But could get a hell of a return with the top tier or on the verge teams needed a goalie. I would say no however. Our time is now, Siloves is a few years away yet. 

Skinner took Edmonton to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. 

• Like 1

The concern with Demko is not just that he has had 3 injuries in 2 years but that he has injured himself.  No contact just side to side in the net and he is injured and off for weeks and months. That is very unusual.

Is that just bad luck or is he a guy who will eventually just get hurt over and over?

The only reason to trade him is if you think he will not be durable enough to be an effective starter in the NHL going forward. Then you trade him before it comes to be the truth at which point he no longer has value in a trade.

Silovs is not anywhere near ready.  So you would need a replacement for a year or two while Silovs develops.

Hopefully Demko is fine going forward and plays for us for years with great health. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

The concern with Demko is not just that he has had 3 injuries in 2 years but that he has injured himself.  No contact just side to side in the net and he is injured and off for weeks and months. That is very unusual.

Is that just bad luck or is he a guy who will eventually just get hurt over and over?

The only reason to trade him is if you think he will not be durable enough to be an effective starter in the NHL going forward. Then you trade him before it comes to be the truth at which point he no longer has value in a trade.

Silovs is not anywhere near ready.  So you would need a replacement for a year or two while Silovs develops.

Hopefully Demko is fine going forward and plays for us for years with great health. 

I agree. But, we don't know if Silovs is ready or not, but if Management thinks he is, we could put a stacked team in front of him with the assets and cap space acquired from a Demko trade. They could re-sign Zadora, sign Tanev, plus get a top 6 winger, and probably have cap left over. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The best power play, possibly ever, took them there. Skinner cost them more than once. Demko might have carried us past them in the second round.

Edited by elvis15
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes that is true but he has 4 NHL seasons under his belt. I believe Silovs has not even played 20 games yet. As I said, he still a few years away and with experience he may lead us or another team to the finals as well. But the way we are structured with win now, we no longer have the luxury to wait for players to develop. 

Moral of the story keep Demko. 

11 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

How about we load manage Demko and play Arty most road games. 

That and rest him more with teams that are not your completion in the division. Play him against Edmonton, Vegas, etc. Rest him against San Jose and so forth. 

3 hours ago, Vancan said:

That and rest him more with teams that are not your completion in the division. Play him against Edmonton, Vegas, etc. Rest him against San Jose and so forth. 

We did reduce his load this year and he still got hurt before the end of the season. He rested and returned. They were super cautious, he was 100% healthy and got hurt again. Maybe, just bad luck or maybe there's more to it.

7 hours ago, fuzzy said:

We did reduce his load this year and he still got hurt before the end of the season. He rested and returned. They were super cautious, he was 100% healthy and got hurt again. Maybe, just bad luck or maybe there's more to it.

Tocch rode him hard after ASB until he was injured. 

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Tocch rode him hard after ASB until he was injured. 

I think regardless whether he was overplayed in the regular season or not, he has a history of injuring himself.

We can give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he needs better load management, but it doesn’t bode well for the playoffs. There wouldn’t be load management in the playoffs and he would need to endure more intense games paired with a more rigorous schedule.

You never know if this is the peak of Demko’s health and performance and if we’ll miss the chance to cash in on his value.

I would give him 1 more season at least to judge before we start shopping him, but it’s worth thinking about now. Nothing is off the table.