World Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hmm,

I find this pretty funny and low impact even though it is gross. It also seems weak and petty, NK dont realise how dumb they look. However...

Are they right? was the south activists ballooning leaflets into their country? They should stop that or the shit might hit the fan...and the cars, and the sidewalks..etc..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Biologic, and perhaps chemical balloons, sent by a government;  are a major step up from some citizens sending notes and music across a border.

Whole world seems to be going nuttier and nuttier every single day.

i didn't read chemicals.

The chemical and explosive response team was deployed but they found only animal feces and trash. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

i didn't read chemicals.

The chemical and explosive response team was deployed but they found only animal feces and trash. 

thus the 'perhaps'-- I'm just guessing that some of that crap, could be coming from porta-potties, which over here are partially filled with chems.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

thus the 'perhaps'-- I'm just guessing that some of that crap, could be coming from porta-potties, which over here are partially filled with chems.

The article said "So far, no human excrement has been found."

gross none the less

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Hmm,

I find this pretty funny and low impact even though it is gross. It also seems weak and petty, NK dont realise how dumb they look. However...

Are they right? was the south activists ballooning leaflets into their country? They should stop that or the shit might hit the fan...and the cars, and the sidewalks..etc..

If i recall correctly the Japanese did something similar with balloons in WW2, except they put anthrax in them. SK has to treat this as a serious attack which costs time, money, and manpower. While it does sound funny now, this was probably quite scary at the time and can also be considered as a test run for more dangerous items in the future. NK is a rabid dog and will have to be dealt with eventually or the problem will just keep getting worse.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

If i recall correctly the Japanese did something similar with balloons in WW2, except they put anthrax in them. SK has to treat this as a serious attack which costs time, money, and manpower. While it does sound funny now, this was probably quite scary at the time and can also be considered as a test run for more dangerous items in the future. NK is a rabid dog and will have to be dealt with eventually or the problem will just keep getting worse.

yes to the balloon bombs, but no to anthrax- at least as far as wiki is concerned:

Fu-Go (ふ号[兵器], fugō [heiki], lit. "Code 'Fu' [Weapon]") was an incendiary balloon weapon (風船爆弾, fūsen bakudan, lit. "balloon bomb") deployed by Japan against the United States during World War II. It consisted of a hydrogen-filled paper balloon 33 feet (10 m) in diameter, with a payload of four 11-pound (5.0 kg) incendiary devices and one 33-pound (15 kg) high-explosive anti-personnel bomb. The uncontrolled balloons were carried over the Pacific Ocean from Japan to North America by fast, high-altitude air currents, today known as the jet stream, and used a sophisticated sandbag ballast system to maintain their altitude. The bombs were intended to ignite large-scale forest fires and spread panic.

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

yes to the balloon bombs, but no to anthrax- at least as far as wiki is concerned:

Fu-Go (ふ号[兵器], fugō [heiki], lit. "Code 'Fu' [Weapon]") was an incendiary balloon weapon (風船爆弾, fūsen bakudan, lit. "balloon bomb") deployed by Japan against the United States during World War II. It consisted of a hydrogen-filled paper balloon 33 feet (10 m) in diameter, with a payload of four 11-pound (5.0 kg) incendiary devices and one 33-pound (15 kg) high-explosive anti-personnel bomb. The uncontrolled balloons were carried over the Pacific Ocean from Japan to North America by fast, high-altitude air currents, today known as the jet stream, and used a sophisticated sandbag ballast system to maintain their altitude. The bombs were intended to ignite large-scale forest fires and spread panic.

hmm i remember it being a biological weapon, but i will admit my source is from a tv show so i cant consider that reliable

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

Sure.

I would get the SK activists to cool it balooning in leaflets though. Dont give that crazy NK regime a reason, as the article says they believe this is tit for tat. 

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

The article said "So far, no human excrement has been found."

gross none the less

Neighbor growing up flew B-17s over Germany.  One story that stuck with me was that they'd empty the can they were using as a toilet right after they bombed the target.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of big stories in the past week....Mexico has elected it's first ever female President:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp4475gwny1o

Claudia Sheinbaum has been elected as Mexico's first female president, in a historic landslide win.

Mexico's official electoral authority said preliminary results showed the 61-year-old former mayor of Mexico City winning between 58% and 60% of the vote in Sunday's election.

That gives her a lead of about 30 percentage points over her main rival, businesswoman Xóchitl Gálvez.

Ms Sheinbaum will replace her mentor, outgoing President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, on 1 October.

.....and....Emmanuel Macron has called a snap election in France:

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/06/09/french-president-emmanuel-macron-announces-anticipated-elections-after-stinging-eu-electio

French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Sunday evening that he would dissolve the national assembly after the far-right National Rally crushed his centrist Renew party in European elections.

In a five-minute video address released on social media shortly after 21:00 CET, Macron said that "after having carried out the consultations provided for in Article 12 of our Constitution, I have decided to give you back the choice of our parliamentary future by voting."

"I am therefore dissolving the National Assembly this evening," he added.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

France's Macron dissolves parliament, calls election

“France needs a clear majority in serenity and harmony," the French president said after his party was pulverized in European Union voting.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-election-results-2024-emmanuel-macron-dissolve-parliament-france/

The Right Wing is increasingly taking power in Europe. The biggest reason: illegal and legal immigration/migration. 

Liberals/Left(non-pejoratively) have ceded the ground to the Right’s argument du jour, to their and those with some semblance of common sense, to their detriment. 

Coming to a country near you. 

26 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Right Wing is increasingly taking power in Europe. The biggest reason: illegal and legal immigration/migration. 

Liberals/Left(non-pejoratively) have ceded the ground to the Right’s argument du jour, to their and those with some semblance of common sense, to their detriment. 

God I hope we can keep this crap out of Canada.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's interesting (and scary!) how a lot of the parallels of what brought us the 2nd world war are starting to re-surface, even if the conditions or situations aren't exact.  I guess we (collectively, as it the voting majority) have forgotten the lessons of the past.  Or maybe we're intentionally choosing to be ignorant?  Either way, not good.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's interesting (and scary!) how a lot of the parallels of what brought us the 2nd world war are starting to re-surface, even if the conditions or situations aren't exact.  I guess we (collectively, as it the voting majority) have forgotten the lessons of the past.  Or maybe we're intentionally choosing to be ignorant?  Either way, not good.

‘We’ got comfortable. 

‘We’ are not unlike the folks from a century or so ago. 

‘We’ allowed ourselves to become passive to the dangers of those that don’t have ‘our’ best in mind. 

‘We’ are worried about our day to day, but have forgotten that our day-to-day and complacency has a reverberation around the world. 

Those who ‘don’t have’ will always follow those that promise them that they can have as much or more as the ones that they’re looking at, if they fight. 

Of course most of ‘us’ are intentionally ignorant. Most of us got ‘theirs’. The rest of the world hasn’t gotten nearly enough. 

They just get to see the rest of ‘us’ enjoy the fruits of their strife and labour. 

And here ‘we’ are all again, like a vicious never ending cycle.  

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

We can’t and won’t. 

Winter/Right Wing Politics Is Coming. 

I refuse to believe this is more than fringe here right now. These assholes get a lot of media, but I doubt the true crazies are going to take over.

Now, PP is and will pander to them, which may grow their numbers if he takes over.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I refuse to believe this is more than fringe here right now. These assholes get a lot of media, but I doubt the true crazies are going to take over.

Now, PP is and will pander to them, which may grow their numbers if he takes over.

The internets will recruit. 

The media will propagate. 

The Government will react and lose because they already lost the issue because they’re not out in front of the issue. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

The internets will recruit. 

The media will propagate. 

The Government will react and lose because they already lost the issue because they’re not out in front of the issue. 

It's disgusting how PP panders to the worst of us.

We need ranked ballot, like yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's disgusting how PP panders to the worst of us.

We need ranked ballot, like yesterday.

PP isn’t the cause of the illness, he’s just the medicine man on the back of a horse drawn cart selling ointments and cure-alls for a vote. 

• ThereItIs 1