[Buyout] Flyers buy out Atkinson

Aways been a fan of Atkinson. I hope management is all over this as a linemate for EP. I'd rather this than an overpay long term contract for Guentzel. Of course Guentzel is better, but Atkinson is a big upgrade offensively over Mik and could be lightning in a bottle with EP.

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Aways been a fan of Atkinson. I hope management is all over this as a linemate for EP. I'd rather this than an overpay long term contract for Guentzel. Of course Guentzel is better, but Atkinson is a big upgrade offensively over Mik and could be lightning in a bottle with EP.

Atkinson is 35 years old and his best days are behind him. Maybe if he comes on a cheap veteran 1 year x 1 million deal otherwise no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rekker said:

To play with EP. Ideal? No, but Atkinson is a righty who can shoot the puck still.

eh, 35 years old and 13 goals last year and 15 or fewer in 3 of the last 4. 

that's a big gamble for a team that's trying to improve. 

Just now, Integra250 said:

Atkinson is 35 years old and his best days are behind him. Maybe if he comes on a cheap veteran 1 year x 1 million deal otherwise no thanks.

Exactly, and that's what we need under our current cap situation. If management was looking at Kessel, an old righty veteran, wouldn't surprise me if they kicked tires in Atkinson. A plan B if nothing else. I'm not a fan of going all in on Guentzel. 

I would say skinner over atkinson but we def need a shooter with EP imagine if mik had hands he wouldve had another 20 goals last year but he had no finish he had so many scoring chances 😂😂

• Upvote 1

Just now, TopCheese said:

I would say skinner over atkinson but we def need a shooter with EP imagine if mik had hands he wouldve had another 20 goals last year but he had no finish he had so many scoring chances 😂😂

Absolutely. Skinner would be a good moneyball signing as well. But both Atkinson and Skinner need to come in on cheaper, shorter contacts for me to be a fan of the signings.

He can still contribute on the PP and PK. I'm guessing he'll sign with someone in the $2 to $2.6 mill range.

edit: After seeing how poorly he finished last season, after coming back from the neck injury that cost him the entire 2022/23 season, I'm gonna instead say that he'll probably sign with someone in the $1 to $2 mil range.

Edited by boziffous

4 minutes ago, tas said:

eh, 35 years old and 13 goals last year and 15 or fewer in 3 of the last 4. 

that's a big gamble for a team that's trying to improve. 

It is, and agree it's a gamble. It may buy time or click though. I am not for winning a bidding war for Guentzel just because he is the top free forward on the market. I would hold off for a younger more physical add.

Atkinson finished up last season without a single point in his final 23 games.

Not a real good year after coming back from the neck injury that cost him the entire 2022/23 season.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I never realized he was a smaller forward. I also didn’t realize he’s already hit his mid thirties. Best of luck to him wherever he lands, but we don’t have the room or need for his services.

Same.. man where does the time go... I recall him lighting it up but I guess that was years ago

• Cheers 1

Some of these buyouts are one of the reasons why Joshua was a bit of a risky signing.  You can mine a solid 3rd liner from veterans, buy outs, cap casualties later in the offseason.  It is a spot you can save a little money, just like Myers as an expensive 3rd pairing D compared with Juulsen in that spot.

$2 million saved in Joshua's spot vs. a vet on a 1 year $1 million ish deal (or Podkolzin)... plus $2 million saved with Juulsen vs Myers is the difference between having a league minimum extra D in the top four or a $5 million dollar guy.

We could REALLY use that additional $5 million defenceman.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No interest.  He is tiny, and didn't produce last year.

Story of my life.

43 minutes ago, Provost said:

Joshua was a bit of a risky signing. 

I agree. Especially the four year term. Could really pay off, or not. I think Tocchet will be a big factor in Joshua's continuing development. 

Dude is 5'8 and his best before date has come and passed. Even at like 1.5mil, meh. Our 3rd line is set. And he's not ideal for the 4th line. At best PTO this guy and see if he gets anything going with Petey. Or let some other team give him money to play on their lottery team.

So.... Flyers bought out Atkinson... not sure why as far as I can tell, they didn't sign a single UFA.  They have $8.6M in cap space available with a roster of 21 assuming Ristolainen.  Odd move unless they're planning on something significant.