[Trade] Habs and Kings swap picks

Montreal Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes announced on Friday that the team has acquired pick no. 21 in the 2024 NHL Draft from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for the Club’s first round (26th), second round (57th), and seventh round (198th) picks in this year’s draft. 

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-acquire-first-round-pick-from-los-angeles-kings?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0628-Trade

these trades strike me as strange to go down ahead of time. how certain can you be that the player you want won't be there at 26 but will be at 21? usually these trades go down while the draft is in progress. 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

these trades strike me as strange to go down ahead of time. how certain can you be that the player you want won't be there at 26 but will be at 21? usually these trades go down while the draft is in progress. 

You could argue the other way, if MTL doesn't move early LA could change their minds at last second and pick a player, then 22,23,24,25 might not want to move back.  Also MTL, has had a ton of picks last year and in the next two.  Eventually they'll have too many prospect and not enough contract available to sign them all, they needs to shed some by moving up or getting NHL players back.

Would assume a team like LA might want to move early to secure trade negotiation for Roster players elsewhere with the extra picks.  Since they are looking to contend.

Edited by timberz21

Draft is pretty wide open, I am guessing teams are gambling on some drops and are okay if they don't. Or something. I dunno, I agree with others it's a bit unusual for this much movement before the draft begins. A lot more rumors of top picks being shopped too. Always knew it was a mid draft, didn't know it was this mid. Makes giving up the 28th for a rental feel less bad. Lol.

18 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I’ve seen quite a bit of Demidov video ,

Big Powerful Quick Skilled ..

reminds me of watching Mario Lemieux hilights..

guy will be a beast.

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve seen quite a bit of Demidov video ,

Big Powerful Quick Skilled ..

reminds me of watching Mario Lemieux hilights..

guy will be a beast.

Yeah.  Really exciting. Montreal had a really strong basis for a new core but was lacking a superstar talent.   They may just have that now. Should be a fun team to watch in a couple years 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yeah.  Really exciting. Montreal had a really strong basis for a new core but was lacking a superstar talent.   They may just have that now. Should be a fun team to watch in a couple years 

I agree ,  they could become dominant team again if they can keep it together in this cap era