[RUMOR] Apparently Stamkos Heading to Free Agency per LeBrun

Honestly insane that Stamkos is going to free agency. I thought he would be a Lightning for his entire career. The fans have to be upset about this?

• Upvote 1

This would be the first legit superstar we will have signed since Sundin...

Not going to get too far ahead of myself, but just the thought of Stamkos in Vancouver..... drool...

Sell him the idea, he would be the missing link to bring the cup back to Canada.... the ultimate accolade for any Canadian hockey player...

13 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I'd offer 2x8m with him and see if he can be lured here by Petey and Huggy, and Vancouver as a whole. He'll get better offers elsewhere, but hey. Gotta at least touch bases with his camp. His shot on the powerplay would be absolutely insane to have. Move Millsy down to the goal line. Absolute pipe dream, but it's the summer months, the time to dream.

He already said no to $24M.... so why would he sign for $16M

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Stamkos rejected a 3x8 deal, not an 8x3 deal.  Apparently, he could be had for $4-5 million AAV.  We could offer him a 6x5 deal.  I'm good with that.  That allows us to sign another Dman to replace Zadorov, or maybe we circle back to Zadorov.

I think the 4-5 number is for TB only and for longer deal than anyone else would want. 
‘I would expect UFA offers to be flipped. More like 3X$8M anywhere up to 9-10M on shorter deal. 

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think the 4-5 number is for TB only and for longer deal than anyone else would want. 
‘I would expect UFA offers to be flipped. More like 3X$8M anywhere up to 9-10M on shorter deal. 

Depends if he just wants the money or wants to chase another cup.  He also has a past relationship with Tocchet.  I think we are in on Stamkos.  He might be our #1 player we are chasing IMO.  

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Stamkos rejected a 3x8 deal, not an 8x3 deal.  Apparently, he could be had for $4-5 million AAV.  We could offer him a 6x5 deal.  I'm good with that.  That allows us to sign another Dman to replace Zadorov, or maybe we circle back to Zadorov.

Hmmm feels risky, feels like the first two years of that contract is just going to result in a buyout. 

Looking at it, seems like Stamkos is going to ask for something like 4 x 7 or 5 x 6. 

Feels risky given his age. 

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Depends if he just wants the money or wants to chase another cup.  He also has a past relationship with Tocchet.  I think we are in on Stamkos.  He might be our #1 player we are chasing IMO.  

Maybe. That is a lot of conjecture from some pretty loose connections but what else is this board for?

Don’t see him getting more than 3 years from anyone especially since he doesn’t seem keen on living on Robidas island in a few years. 
‘He would be great fit here and we can offer him quite a bit on short term deal, still don’t see it happening but would be great add. Do we go full Sundin 2X10🤣

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sign me up...Imagine not just for our existing players, but Lekkerimaki as well.... Man, of all the names thrown around Stamkos is really the player I'd love to see here... And far better value than some of the other top free agents...

• Cheers 1

people make fun of the sundin signing, but many players have credited his time here as very impactful for them. steve stamkos could have a similar impact. adds a certain legitimacy.

a wily veteran star who can still put up significant numbers, who should add a lethal power play option at the very least, and who captained a team to a couple of cups is never a bad addition. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

people make fun of the sundin signing, but many players have credited his time here as very impactful for them. steve stamkos could have a similar impact. adds a certain legitimacy.

a wily veteran star who can still put up significant numbers, who should add a lethal power play option at the very least, and who captained a team to a couple of cups is never a bad addition. 

I wasn’t making fun of it other than it would be funny if he signed a matching offer, especially since the Leafs wanted him so bad. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I wasn’t making fun of it other than it would be funny if he signed a matching offer, especially since the Leafs wanted him so bad. 

I didn't even see you post about it. I was speaking generally. 

Getting Stamkos could help the Canucks more than just adding his talent. He’s a legend, future first ballot HOF, legit superstar, proven winner. Just the type of guy that could help mentor EP40 how to take the next step. Petey was tired (and had a sore leg?). He needed that winner’s mentality to fight through the pain. If he had that extra gear the Canucks would be celebrating the cup. 

9 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Well he is certainly looking for more than 24 million 

No necessarily, he's have to play to 42 or pretend to be on LTIR to get all of it, and who knows with the the CBA if there's another compliance but our round. It was a weirdo offer.

6 mil x 4 does it I bet 

“I felt that playing him a couple games here and there and getting in the gym, with Gary Roberts — a good mentor — they worked out together. It’s funny, after he sat a game and got in the gym, he’d have a great game. He got bigger and stronger and the rest is history. He’s just a super kid,” Tocchet said.

And Tocchet remains an admirer of Stamkos.

He may not be the five on five force he once was, but he remains a potent power play presences.

“Ovechkin’s the godfather, but Stamkos is next,” Tocchet said during the 2023-24 season of Stamkos’ ability to score off the left side of the power play.

That would be a potent weapon for the Canucks to add to their power play.

And his leadership would be a big addition to the Canucks’ room. Tocchet said earlier in June how he took note that the likes of Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov were on the ice already at the end of May, preparing for the next season. It had been just a few weeks since the Lightning had been eliminated from the playoffs.

Edited by Rip The Mesh

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No necessarily, he's have to play to 42 or pretend to be on LTIR to get all of it, and who knows with the the CBA if there's another compliance but our round. It was a weirdo offer.

6 mil x 4 does it I bet 

It was definitely a strange offer. One that Tampa knew full well that Stamkos wouldn't play the entirety of. On top of that, if Stamkos were to retire after 4 or 5 years, that money would all come off the salary cap because he's only 34.

I agree that 6m x 4 might do it. That said, I'd be willing to go up to 7.5m x 4 for him.

2 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

It was definitely a strange offer. One that Tampa knew full well that Stamkos wouldn't play the entirety of. On top of that, if Stamkos were to retire after 4 or 5 years, that money would all come off the salary cap because he's only 34.

I agree that 6m x 4 might do it. That said, I'd be willing to go up to 7.5m x 4 for him.

I suspect Detroit lands him but it's fun to think about.