[Rumour] NJD Actively Shopping Marino -- Canucks in the mix

Would certainly be a smart move if we could acquire him relatively cheap.  It's all about finding best value for cap hit, and Marino is one of the best RHD in terms of value per cap hit in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bh90 said:

sign me up let's hope we get him

Hughes - Marino

Soucy - Hronek

??? - Myers

Juulsen

I like it

Landing Marino would likely mean we can afford whoever we want as a Top 6F for Petey and still have a really strong D group.  I'd be willing to give up Podkolzin if we could land Marino.

EDIT:  Leaves us with $8.8M for a top 6F and whatever other upgrades we'd want... so not quite enough for Guentzel, but close.  Could land pretty much any of the other UFA forwards though.

Edited by HKSR

14 minutes ago, bh90 said:

sign me up let's hope we get him

Hughes - Marino

Soucy - Hronek

??? - Myers

Juulsen

I like it

Hughes Marino

Dillon Hronek

Soucy Myers!

make it happen. If they really want to move him and not take any salary back he should be dirt cheap! Like a 4th and mid prospect!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Wonder why NJ would want to trade Marino?

He seems to be an OK defenceman.

They've got Nemec knocking on the door for more minutes.

Marino is a younger version of Tanev on a great cap hit.  Would love to add him to the mix here.

• Like 1

Did a little digging on Marino and found out a couple of interesting things. He was Adam Fox's defence partner at Harvard and didn't get a lot of attention. Edmonton had drafted him in the sixth round, but Pittsburgh player development guy Scott Young liked him and so did the Penguins college scout, Frank Golden. They talked Jim Rutherford into trading a 6th round pick for him and he went on to have a successful first season in Pittsburgh. Now fast forward to today: Rutherford is the POHO, Scott Young is Director of Player Personnel and Frank Golden is the College Free Agent Scout for Vancouver. Now that Zadorov is going to free agency, they at least know what they would be getting in Marino, if that's the path they choose to take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Devron said:

There is a Zadorov so stfu Frank

Just STFU generally, Frank. What kind of a name is Frank anyway.. a turtle?

250px-Franklin_turtle.jpg

• Like 1

Garland for Marino makes sense.

As much as it I don't want to see it, I feel Garland will be dealt this offseason. He has never shown any ability when put in a top 6 role, and at 5 mil/3rd line, is our only contract that we can deal to open up space. I think that money would be far better suited to go toward the top 6 and or a #4RD. We would look for a cheaper option 3rd line option with more size that can PK. I get this may take away some chemistry on our 3rd line, but improving our top 6 forwards/top 4 D would have much more impact.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • ThereItIs 1