[Rumour] NJD Actively Shopping Marino -- Canucks in the mix

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Did a little digging on Marino and found out a couple of interesting things. He was Adam Fox's defence partner at Harvard and didn't get a lot of attention. Edmonton had drafted him in the sixth round, but Pittsburgh player development guy Scott Young liked him and so did the Penguins college scout, Frank Golden. They talked Jim Rutherford into trading a 6th round pick for him and he went on to have a successful first season in Pittsburgh. Now fast forward to today: Rutherford is the POHO, Scott Young is Director of Player Personnel and Frank Golden is the College Free Agent Scout for Vancouver. Now that Zadorov is going to free agency, they at least know what they would be getting in Marino, if that's the path they choose to take.

Good digging.

That is quite compelling and should really legitimize the Canucks interest in Marino. I'd easily get behind that move with Zads reportedly going to test the market 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Hughes likes playing with Hronek

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Marino

Dillon - Myers

??

I really like that defence pairings. Would depend on what Dillon would sign for if he came in at 2-2.5 mil would be really nice

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

He ain’t no Big Z

How much would you be willing to offer for Big Z though?

I'd like him to stay here, but there gets a point it might just be too much salary.

21 hours ago, Enigma said:

Oh Connar, best fans in the world in Chicago? Poor kid.

59 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Garland for Marino makes sense.

As much as it I don't want to see it, I feel Garland will be dealt this offseason. He has never shown any ability when put in a top 6 role, and at 5 mil/3rd line, is our only contract that we can deal to open up space. I think that money would be far better suited to go toward the top 6 and or a #4RD. We would look for a cheaper option 3rd line option with more size that can PK. I get this may take away some chemistry on our 3rd line, but improving our top 6 forwards/top 4 D would have much more impact.

I will never understand the trade Conor Garland movement. Is he a bit pricey for a third line winger? Maybe. But he was an amazing playoff performer. This team needs to retain playoff performers, because for the next 3-4 years we are a lock to make the playoffs. When Pettersson disappeared and JT went quiet, who else beside Brock and Connor dragged this team to success?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Hughes likes playing with Hronek

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Marino

Dillon - Myers

??

That's actually quite a good upgrade.... I bet Foote would love to have that group.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Garland for Marino makes sense.

As much as it I don't want to see it, I feel Garland will be dealt this offseason. He has never shown any ability when put in a top 6 role, and at 5 mil/3rd line, is our only contract that we can deal to open up space. I think that money would be far better suited to go toward the top 6 and or a #4RD. We would look for a cheaper option 3rd line option with more size that can PK. I get this may take away some chemistry on our 3rd line, but improving our top 6 forwards/top 4 D would have much more impact.

That makes zero sense .........sign Joshua to a decent deal and then trade the guy who compliments him perfectly?  For a "meh" 4-5 damn?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, YourTimeisNow said:

I will never understand the trade Conor Garland movement. Is he a bit pricey for a third line winger? Maybe. But he was an amazing playoff performer. This team needs to retain playoff performers, because for the next 3-4 years we are a lock to make the playoffs. When Pettersson disappeared and JT went quiet, who else beside Brock and Connor dragged this team to success?

I'm not suggesting he is dealt for nothing, I'm suggesting we could get a more impactful player in a more impactful role for that $.  5 points in 13 games is not an amazing playoff performance.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, BCNate said:

I'm not suggesting he is dealt for nothing, I'm suggesting we could get a more impactful player in a more impactful role for that $.  5 points in 13 games is not an amazing playoff performance.

Agreed. Garland has value and will bring back assets. He is not a core player.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

That makes zero sense .........sign Joshua to a decent deal and then trade the guy who compliments him perfectly?  For a "meh" 4-5 damn?

Ya I like Garly, 1 of our smaller guys to be sure but he plays with more heart and grit than a lot of others. Also draws plenty of penalties. That third line won or kept us in quite a few games last year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

He ain’t no Big Z

Exactly he is 6ft 1inch and weighs only 181lbs...so no where close to Big Z size and toughness. Marino has very few penalty minutes so I am guessing he doesn't even fight. I rather has Juulsen back there instead!! 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who says we'd be trading Garland?

2 hours ago, Wing said:

How good is Marino? Is he comparable to someone like Matt Roy?

I see the Pittsburgh connection there but i forgot if it was JR who drafted him.

He’s Tanev lite! Matt Roy is a better overall dman but he’s going to get paid 6 mill a season! Marino is locked up for 3 more years at 4.4. Marino is better defensively and on the PK than Roy but Roy is better offensively and isn’t bad at those other things either it’s just Marino is better. Marino would be the perfect partner for Hughes. I don’t like the idea of Hronek not being used to his full potential riding Hughes’ wave! Let Hronek anchor the 2nd pairing like he’s getting paid to do and bring in another guy that can play good defence and let Hughes do his thing!