Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

9e8925349b439aa8b457213fe7d3f38f?s=46&d=

Published

4 hours ago 

on

June 28, 2024
NHL trade talk,Pittsburgh Penguins analysis, and Jake Guentzel news.

The Carolina Hurricanes have invested quite a bit into former Pittsburgh Penguins winger Jake Guentzel. First, they gave up the 44th overall pick with a trio of prospects and forward Michael Bunting to acquire him from the Penguins. Now, it appears they will deliver a max-term contract with a substantial raise over his current deal.

On the Pat McAfee ESPN show, Sportsnet reporter Elliotte Friedman said Carolina is about to sign Guentzel to an eight-year, $64 million contract.

“Sometime this morning or last night, Guentzel had an ask for Carolina. I have not confirmed, but I believe it’s eight times eight,” Friedman said on the show. “And I think the Hurricanes have said to him, ‘We will do that. We will do that contract,’ and at this point in time, we’re waiting to see if it gets hammered out.”

Guentzel, 29, scored 30 goals with 77 points last season. He played 50 games for the Penguins before the March trade. In 17 games with Carolina, Guentzel scored eight goals and 25 points.

Carolina lost to the New York Rangers in six games in Round Two of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but they were widely seen as “goalied” because New York goalie Igor Shesterkin robbed them of a few games, despite Carolina outplaying New York.

Guentzel was the Penguins’ third-round pick in 2013 and attended the University of Nebraska Omaha. He made his NHL debut in the 2016-17 season. He played 40 regular season games before breaking through with a playoff hat trick and first-line duty with Sidney Crosby as the Penguins won the second of back-to-back Stanley Cups.

Guentzel played eight seasons with the Penguins. He appeared in 503 games, scoring 219 goals and 466 points, mostly beside Crosby. He also played in 58 playoff games, scoring 58 points (34-24-58).

Of course, the Carolina contract would officially close the door on the hopes of many Penguins fans that Guentzel would return to his hockey home to play the left wing with Crosby. In addition to the 44th overall pick, the Penguins received prospects Vasily Ponomarev, Villie Koivunen, and Cruz Lucious.

Edited by Canuck You
  • Haha 1

Well, there ya go, Guentzel wants to stay in Carolina. Thinks he can win there. HAHA! Fool!

Canucks will take Teravainen, and another team will take Necas, and another team will take Martinook, and other teams will take Pesce and Skjei, and then the Canes will suck. 

27 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Well, there ya go, Guentzel wants to stay in Carolina. Thinks he can win there. HAHA! Fool!

Canucks will take Teravainen, and another team will take Necas, and another team will take Martinook, and other teams will take Pesce and Skjei, and then the Canes will suck. 

I'd rather Necas then Guentzel honestly. Fits what we need SO much more. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We already know they made the offer, the question is whether Guenztel accepts.

With two days until free agency maybe he just waits.

Hello Stamkos!! 

I mean Pettersson, Miller, Stamkos, Hughs, Hronik = power play fixed. Could rival Edmonton's all year long. Not sure if he is the right steady winger we desperately need for Pety though. Toffoli would be a good fit and have immediate improvement. 

Still have fingers crossed Guenzel comes!

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Hello Stamkos!! 

I mean Pettersson, Miller, Stamkos, Hughs, Hronik = power play fixed. Could rival Edmonton's all year long. Not sure if he is the right steady winger we desperately need for Pety though. Toffoli would be a good fit and have immediate improvement. 

How does replacing our leading powerplay scorer with a defensemen who scored 5 goals all year fix it?

7 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

What? Stamkos and Guentzel are not defencemen

I think Sean is referring to how they've taken Boeser off the PP and replaced him with Hronek....:classic_smile:

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be a blessing in disguise as good as Guentzel is. He would definitely make our top 6 better, but would also eat up a healthy chunk of the overall cap.

I'm sure management is cooking something up, and will do their best to strengthen the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We already know they made the offer, the question is whether Guenztel accepts.

With two days until free agency maybe he just waits.

Maybe he already did and Carolina is just withholding information to get teams hoping to land Guentzel to not make a move during the draft thinking they can still land Guentzel 

39 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Hello Stamkos!! 

34 year old Stamkos fits right in with the team’s trajectory. 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

How does replacing our leading powerplay scorer with a defensemen who scored 5 goals all year fix it?

Sorry forgot to add either combo of Hronek or Brock. 

• Cheers 1

Lebrun speculating 8x8 was originally enough to get it done but that there are "whispers" Vancouver willing to go 9x7 which may be holding things up.

Let’s start with Jake Guentzel, who would be the most sought-after forward if he goes to market.

The Carolina Hurricanes have had the full-court press on all week trying to bridge the gap, and according to league sources, increased their latest offer to eight years at $8 million per season. That’s in the ballpark, I believe, of what Guentzel’s camp originally wanted when this discussion began several weeks ago.

But as of Friday morning, the Canes were still waiting for an answer from Guentzel’s camp, led by veteran agent Ben Hankinson. So we’ll see where this goes, but I wonder if it might be too alluring for Guentzel to dip his toes into free agency Monday while still leaving the door open on a Hurricanes return, knowing what’s on the table from them.

I’m not sure how this one will end, but it’s in a delicate and fascinating place.

There are whispers that Vancouver might be willing to go seven years and $9 million a season for Guentzel, but that’s unconfirmed at this point. Obviously there would be a long list of suitors for Guentzel regardless if he goes to market.

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes were still holding out hope on pending UFA defensemen Brady Skjei and Brett Pesce, circling back with those two respective camps over the past 24 hours with a renewed effort. As I’ve said before, I think Pesce is going to market. Skjei probably is, too, but there’s still a chance there for Carolina.

If Skjei does go to market, I would expect the Nashville Predators to be in there aggressively in their attempt to replace Ryan McDonagh.

Edited by Sell.the.team

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

8x8? only 8mil? if he signs for 8mil.. that's a massive steal and discount

8th year.  free agent he would've only got 7 years so price would 1.125 per year higher

43 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Lebrun speculating 8x8 was originally enough to get it done but that there are "whispers" Vancouver willing to go 9x7 which may be holding things up.

The runours are they would go even higher to 9.5x7

3 hours ago, Vancan said:

Hello Stamkos!! 

Stamkos got offered 24 million in tampa spread out over 8 years, front loaded where he was gunna be on ltir to end it.  Based on reports countered at 40 million for the rest of his playing career.  they're trying to cap circumvent.   on the open market he's gunna get 40 million over 3 or 4 years from a few teams.

Edited by Iron Fist

3 hours ago, KesLord said:

I'd rather Necas then Guentzel honestly. Fits what we need SO much more. 

We have a big time speed deficit especially with Mikheyev out, Necas wheels would be huge for our top 6.

18 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Stamkos got offered 24 million in tampa spread out over 8 years, front loaded where he was gunna be on ltir to end it.  Based on reports countered at 40 million for the rest of his playing career.  they're trying to cap circumvent.   on the open market he's gunna get 40 million over 3 or 4 years from a few teams.

Stamkos has earned well over $100 million dollars in his career (US).  I doubt its about money, more so pride. TB made it very clear he is not a priority. It's more of a fuck you, see ya later. At this point he just wants to win a championship again, rather then trying to hit another jackpot. My thoughts. 

• Like 1