Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

With Tampa being a tax free state, Carolina's income tax also low, the allure of LA and NYR being big markets....Canucks will have to certainly have the biggest offer on the table in order to secure Guentzel. I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks made all their moves to offer 10+ to him. 

But day after day...it really sounds like the likelihood of signing him is getting slim now

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He improved his numbers in Carolina though 

He also apparently had 24 goals, 41 assists and a plus-minus of +25 in 55 games while playing in Pittsburgh without Sidney Crosby: https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/jake-guentzel-stats-without-crosby-on-his-line

Because that site is partially pay walled, I couldn't verify if this includes all of the games he played with Pittsburgh through 2024. And in any case, I'm assuming it doesn't include stats accumulated from parts of games played apart from Crosby. But still, combined with his games played in Carolina, that's close to a full season's worth of games, all of which seem to contradict the assumption that his success is contingent on playing with Crosby.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

8 x 8 in CAR is like  9.65 or so in Vancouver.

So if net pay is how he bases his ask, or 4.7 take home,  fully expect his ask to be at least that.    He's a US player, we 3 core guys who are too so could see that pull, plus the coaches GM, JR etc.    

If we signed him at 9 x 8 (trade and sign), then he'd be taking a discount.    

To get to 64 with only seven years, the ask would be astronomical. 

Think if this is true,  Guentzel is off the  board. 

IMG_0066.png

IMG_0067.png

I think he’s off the board regardless. Sounds from rumours of Twitter that Carolina and Guentzel are finalizing terms of the deal. But it’s supposed to be 8x8. That’s too bad. I was looking forward to management at least getting a shot to signing an elite winger. We need to find someone for Petey and we’re kinda running out of options of elite players that we could sign for Pettersson. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he’s off the board regardless. Sounds from rumours of Twitter that Carolina and Guentzel are finalizing terms of the deal. But it’s supposed to be 8x8. That’s too bad. I was looking forward to management at least getting a shot to signing an elite winger. We need to find someone for Petey and we’re kinda running out of options of elite players that we could sign for Pettersson. 

Free agency starting tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Free agency starting tomorrow.

Inferior options only don’t see toffoli/debrusk and or Dillon being an upgrade over lindholm and zadorov. So unless there’s other move or trade lined up 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He scores and crashes the net. Scoring wins games. 

He also goes into the corners and wins puck battles. He's known for being gritty and playing bigger than his actual size. 

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Carolina made the offer to him yesterday morning, but they haven't heard back from him at all according to Friedman

Edited by Bure10Kuzmenko96
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Carolina made the offer to him yesterday morning, but they haven't heard back from him at all according to Friedman

Him and his agent are likely gauging interest from other teams still.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Named Melvin…

If your name is Melvin , you can bet he's worked hard all his life. Probably comes with a great work ethic. AKA -Johnny Cash...A Boy Named Sue

• Upvote 1

Still crickets. Looks more like Guentzel will hit July 1. Not saying he won't choose Carolina at the end but with so many teams reportedly interested I don't see why he won't want to see what's out there. He said he liked his time in Carolina but probably not enough to sign right away. Also comes down to fit too. He'll have to live in the city the next 7 years so it's not just about money, which makes me think he'll unlikely sign with us even if we are the highest bidder. He probably wants to stay in the US.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

There is nothing here 

Nothing concrete, but there's been rumours around Tampa's interest in Guentzel the last couple days

If he hits UFA there's a good chance they'll take a run at him

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nothing concrete, but there's been rumours around Tampa's interest in Guentzel the last couple days

If he hits UFA there's a good chance they'll take a run at him

They can F right off haha

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

They can F right off haha

Favorable tax bit might work out for them again, what a pain, and I don't even want to land Guentzel

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Tampa being a tax free state, Carolina's income tax also low, the allure of LA and NYR being big markets....Canucks will have to certainly have the biggest offer on the table in order to secure Guentzel. I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks made all their moves to offer 10+ to him. 

But day after day...it really sounds like the likelihood of signing him is getting slim now

Allvin is making a point in not overpaying for anyone including Zadorov. So why would he overpay for Guentzel just to beat out other teams?  Certainly $10 million is an overpayment for a 29 year old small winger who doesn’t kill penalties where his best season was 84 points. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Favorable tax bit might work out for them again, what a pain, and I don't even want to land Guentzel

are you on the toffoli alternative second tier UFA market? or what top line forward option would you like most

I'd be shocked if Canucks landed either Guentzel or Stamkos.  Feel the competition is too fierce.  If anything, Allvin could probably land one of the smaller fish for a good deal while the other teams squabble over the big fish.

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

are you on the toffoli alternative second tier UFA market? or what top line forward option would you like most

I'd prefer someone faster than Toffoli 

Ideally we'd grab a top 4RD like Roy and a second line guy like Stephenson 

Marchessault would be intriguing despite his age, but that'd have to be a shorter term deal imo 

Thing about Guentzel is he'd probably eat up 9-9.5M, maybe as high as 10M, I'd rather allocate to multiple players even if it costs more than 9-9.5M to get em done it'd probably pay for most of two quality players

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd be shocked if Canucks landed either Guentzel or Stamkos.  Feel the competition is too fierce.  If anything, Allvin could probably land one of the smaller fish for a good deal while the other teams squabble over the big fish.

Canucks have 14.5 in cap space 

to sign 

- a back up goalie 

- a bottom pair D

- an amazing forward