Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

7 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

We’ll land Jeff Skinner.

i prefer Skinner & Toffoli instead of Guentzel

if we have to go all in, i woul push hard for Reinhart then Dillon.

1 minute ago, DexM94 said:

i prefer Skinner & Toffoli instead of Guentzel

if we have to go all in, i woul push hard for Reinhart then Dillon.

If we have to go all in, I’d push hard for Stamkos.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

TB has 16.5 in cap space and has to sign 7 players 

they have 16 players signed 

if they give 9 to a forward that leaves them 7.5 to sign 6 players…

good luck with that 

good point, they might corner the winger depth market instead. They can get guys in the 4's that others can't match the take-home pay. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

good point, they might corner the winger depth market instead. They can get guys in the 4's that others can't match the take-home pay. 

They made those trades because they needed to in order to just sign the minimum number of players 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Stamkos

JG

Marchessault 

Reinhardt 

Toff 

Stephenson 

- all going to market likely 

No idea if Stamkos would have any interest in playing here, but even at his advanced age I'd offer him a $5.0 x 6. 

I'd be far happier with Stammer and possibly circling back on Zadorov than having to overpay for Reinhart or JG.

Not exactly the right age range, but that gets you an elite winger for Petey during our competitive window. In the years beyond that, he's not going to hurt you playing down the lineup at that price.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd prefer someone faster than Toffoli 

Ideally we'd grab a top 4RD like Roy and a second line guy like Stephenson 

Marchessault would be intriguing despite his age, but that'd have to be a shorter term deal imo 

Thing about Guentzel is he'd probably eat up 9-9.5M, maybe as high as 10M, I'd rather allocate to multiple players even if it costs more than 9-9.5M to get em done it'd probably pay for most of two quality players

I think the augment for JG in and around 9.3-9.5M is you 100% know he is going to give you that top line forward we need for Petey and the perfect fit on the PP for our most competitive window with this group.

To me thats worth paying for.

Especially when its a player management knows so well off the ice to and what his mentality, professionalism and preparation will be as a player at practice, how he performs in the playoffs and how he will take care of himself to age into the contract.

I like the fit better than any single player available.

I do also think the cap should increase quite a lot over the course of the 7years hes signed. So when his play dips at the end due to age hopefully the contract wont be too bad as a relative % to cap.

-

I do not see a world we will be able to sign Roy  I think he will be one of the highest paid UFA RHD on the market him and Pesce getting 6-7M/ Year by a team throwing a bag at them.

But I would absolutely love the fit.

I dont think they want to have a right side cost that much though.

-

Toffoli worries me. He has signed under value two contracts in a row and now hes going to cash in and this is the contract that probably doesn't age production wise relative to his salary and age. The speed is a concern when they say they want to play fast. I am worried his contract / term this time around will not be ideal.

Marchesseult isn't fast either but hes such a high end scorer I would be interested in him short term but its similar to Toffoli if they guys want longer term it gets uncomfortable.

Both of them Right shots too so not ideal for the PP hole but still an upgrade.

-

Stephenson is an interesting one because you could put him as LW with Petey or C with Garland or he could fill in at C if we had a top 6 C injury. Hes also left handed so he could get a chance in the bumper on the PP. But to me hes kind of a mix of Pius Suter + healthy Mikehyev. With the lack of C options he could also get a contract that is too rich for my blood. I could see him being a guy the canucks like though as he would boost C depth, add speed, probably do well in RT system and could potentially flank Petey. I just dont think hes a high end option and we really do need that unless they think passionately JL is super close to being that'd dont want to sign a right handed UFA winger like JM or Toffoli at the term it would take.

-

Im very curious how they are internally projecting Hog in the line up right now if they are thinking he will be bottom 6 or get a chance with Petey to start the year.

3 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Carolina made the offer to him yesterday morning, but they haven't heard back from him at all according to Friedman

I wonder what’s been the delay and the hold up? 

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think the augment for JG in and around 9.3-9.5M is you 100% know he is going to give you that top line forward we need for Petey and the perfect fit on the PP for our most competitive window with this group.

To me thats worth paying for.

Especially when its a player management knows so well off the ice to and what his mentality, professionalism and preparation will be as a player at practice, how he performs in the playoffs and how he will take care of himself to age into the contract.

I like the fit better than any single player available.

I do also think the cap should increase quite a lot over the course of the 7years hes signed. So when his play dips at the end due to age hopefully the contract wont be too bad as a relative % to cap.

-

I do not see a world we will be able to sign Roy  I think he will be one of the highest paid UFA RHD on the market him and Pesce getting 6-7M/ Year by a team throwing a bag at them.

But I would absolutely love the fit.

I dont think they want to have a right side cost that much though.

-

Toffoli worries me. He has signed under value two contracts in a row and now hes going to cash in and this is the contract that probably doesn't age production wise relative to his salary and age. The speed is a concern when they say they want to play fast. I am worried his contract / term this time around will not be ideal.

Marchesseult isn't fast either but hes such a high end scorer I would be interested in him short term but its similar to Toffoli if they guys want longer term it gets uncomfortable.

Both of them Right shots too so not ideal for the PP hole but still an upgrade.

-

Stephenson is an interesting one because you could put him as LW with Petey or C with Garland or he could fill in at C if we had a top 6 C injury. Hes also left handed so he could get a chance in the bumper on the PP. But to me hes kind of a mix of Pius Suter + healthy Mikehyev. With the lack of C options he could also get a contract that is too rich for my blood. I could see him being a guy the canucks like though as he would boost C depth, add speed, probably do well in RT system and could potentially flank Petey. I just dont think hes a high end option and we really do need that unless they think passionately JL is super close to being that'd dont want to sign a right handed UFA winger like JM or Toffoli at the term it would take.

-

Im very curious how they are internally projecting Hog in the line up right now if they are thinking he will be bottom 6 or get a chance with Petey to start the year.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sticking to my long held stance of not liking giving big money and term that takes guys into their later 30's. 

I understand why Guentzel appeals to people, I just don't see it the same way. 

Maybe not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I do think we could land him, it just might mean the forward we bring in for Pettersson isn't as sexy an option. 

I'm not keen on Toffoli for similar reasons, I like him but I question his speed. I'd rather bring in a forward who skates better.

I think Marsh will cost too much, but he'd be intriguing on a shorter term deal as a guy who can probably still produce.

I like Stephenson best, I think he'd be a great playmaking center or winger for either the Pettersson or Miller line.

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Stamkos

JG

Marchessault 

Reinhardt 

Toff 

Stephenson 

- all going to market likely 

Add Teravainen & Duclair before Toff or Stephenson for me 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

Add Teravainen & Duclair before Toff or Stephenson for me 

Reveal hidden contents

Tocchet and Duclair didn’t work out in Arizona. He was traded out of there. 

Not sure Tocchet or Duclair want a reunion. 

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Says who ?

JG

stephenson 

stamkos

Reinhardt 

Marchessault 

Toff

all still potentially on market 

People acting like we have to solve everything through free agency. 🤣

People realize this is a management group that made more trades than any other GM right?

If they don’t get the guys they want they’ll make trades that nobody saw coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Tocchet and Duclair didn’t work out in Arizona. He was traded out of there. 

Not sure Tocchet or Duclair want a reunion. 

AD was pretty young then (< 23) so chances are he's matured (especially playing in Tampa).

Would love to see his speed on Petey's wing for some breakouts/aways.

17 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Says who ?

JG

stephenson 

stamkos

Reinhardt 

Marchessault 

Toff

all still potentially on market 

JG probbaly siginging with Carolina or TB, TB made enough cap space for him, and are very interested in him ...and reinhart will go back to florida