Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

38 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

How they gonna sign 7 players with 16.5 million  in cap space after they give 9-10 of that to JG

Given taxes it'd probably come to less wouldn't it?

And who knows what the hell Tampa is doing, never thought they'd let their franchise icon walk either

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

How they gonna sign 7 players with 16.5 million  in cap space after they give 9-10 of that to JG

Yeah, I guess we could help them out and take Cernak off their hands.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Also I like EF but he’s wrong more often than right and what he does takes no real talent 

I thought Friedman said that Guentzel's deal with Carolina was just about done? What happened to that report?? 

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, I guess we could help them out and take Cernak off their hands.

Would be a great deal if it happened. 

Tampa Bay will offload some contracts, they'll pay the price with their own draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Given taxes it'd probably come to less wouldn't it?

And who knows what the hell Tampa is doing, never thought they'd let their franchise icon walk either

I wouldn't mind signing Stamkos, he wouldn't be too bad of a consolation prize if we struck out against Guentzel, although, he is a little older than Jake. 

Just now, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

They offered it to him, but he hasn't signed it

Yeah, the question is why hasn't Guentzel and his camp signed the offer from the Canes. They've met his request/demand of 8x8, so what is he waiting for? Unless he's had a change of heart and wanted to see what Vancouver and Tampa Bay could offer? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, the question is why hasn't Guentzel and his camp signed the offer from the Canes. They've met his request/demand of 8x8, so what is he waiting for? Unless he's had a change of heart and wanted to see what Vancouver and Tampa Bay could offer? 

Yup, it's close to free agency so he wanted to see what's out there. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought Friedman said that Guentzel's deal with Carolina was just about done? What happened to that report?? 

He got offer.Now he going to see if someone give more.He didnot contact them back

It seems like the dream of a Jake Guentzel extension in Carolina is all but dead.

On the most recent episode of Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman stated that it is his belief that Guentzel will be going to market.

Friedman stated that Guentzel's camp initially asked Carolina for an eight year, $64 million deal and that while the Canes did try to haggle and negotiate, they eventually agreed to that ask on Thursday.

However, it is believed that that 8x8 deal was an earlier ask and with the market changing, i.e. Tampa Bay shedding a ton of cap space, and with how close free agency is, that Guentzel has decided to just go to free agency anyway.

Now that isn't to say that the Canes are completely out of it as Guentzel could always circle back, but at this time it is believed that Tampa Bay would be the front runners with the cap space to offer him a larger contract on top of Florida being a tax-free state.

Also, as soon as July 1 hits, Carolina can no longer offer Guentzel an eight-year deal so they'll be on the same footing as everyone else.

Again, it isn't completely dead, but it seems that the Hurricanes front office and ownership flew a bit too close to the sun on negotiations and they may be left at the dance without a partner.

Already with the majority of the Hurricanes' other free agents also expected to go to market as well as Martin Necas wanting out, this offseason could be a painful one, even more so with Guentzel leaving when the team could have had him at asking price.

That's a big swing if the Canucks want to try!

Edited by Rip The Mesh

51 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't mind signing Stamkos, he wouldn't be too bad of a consolation prize if we struck out against Guentzel, although, he is a little older than Jake. 

does he even want to come to vancouver.. I can't even think of the last time vancouver managed to land a high end star player.. unless you count LE and Myers.. or the massive contract we gave to sundin.. as much as i want JG or Stamkos.. i think reality is we'll end up with the tier B/C players.. i can't remember a top tier player signing without a canadian club outside of tavares to toronto.. maybe not even the top tier but like the best player available in UFA.. the only way we get top end players is if we drafted them or traded for them.. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Considering he outscored the shit out out of Guentzal........no, not a bad "consolation prize"

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Considering he outscored the shit out out of Guentzal........no, not a bad "consolation prize"

yes, but he's also 5 years older than Guentzel as well. 

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

does he even want to come to vancouver.. I can't even think of the last time vancouver managed to land a high end star player.. unless you count LE and Myers.. or the massive contract we gave to sundin.. as much as i want JG or Stamkos.. i think reality is we'll end up with the tier B/C players.. i can't remember a top tier player signing without a canadian club outside of tavares to toronto.. maybe not even the top tier but like the best player available in UFA.. the only way we get top end players is if we drafted them or traded for them.. 

Well, let's hope that changes on Monday. There's still hope for Guentzel, the elite in this year's forward class. But if we don't land him, then yeah, like you say, I think Allvin and Rutherford will shop in the mid-level tier of forwards—the Toffolis and the Teravainens of the world. Management also needs to shore up its defence as well. 

5 hours ago, stawns said:

he had 4 more points than guentzel last year in 12 more games. 

I won’t quote the source because I can’t verify it, but FWIW read that we are now in the secondary pack of teams that Guentzel is considering. As such, mgmt has Skinner and Toffoli as two primary F targets on their radar to shore up some F depth. Apologies, will try to post something more substantial. Don’t hate!

Edited by RWJC

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I won’t quote the source because I can’t verify it, but FWIW read that we are now in the secondary pack of teams that Guentzel is considering. As such, mgmt has Skinner and Toffoli as two primary F targets on their radar to shore up some F depth. Apologies, will try to post something more substantial. Don’t hate!

Yuck to both of those. Toffoli too slow and Skinner, well it would be giving a real challenge to our coaching staff. 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, let's hope that changes on Monday. There's still hope for Guentzel, the elite in this year's forward class. But if we don't land him, then yeah, like you say, I think Allvin and Rutherford will shop in the mid-level tier of forwards—the Toffolis and the Teravainens of the world. Management also needs to shore up its defence as well. 

What makes him the elite?