Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

23 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We have a big time speed deficit especially with Mikheyev out, Necas wheels would be huge for our top 6.

The problem for Necas is he wants to play C top 6.

we aren’t gonna shift petey to wing or miller for him.

plus the steeeep acquisition cost for him and extension required that would come with the unproven aspect of his play relative  to the cost of both the acquisition and signing. 

i just don’t see it happening or us having the proper trade assets to do it 

6 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Stamkos has earned well over $100 million dollars in his career (US).  I doubt its about money, more so pride. TB made it very clear he is not a priority. It's more of a fuck you, see ya later. At this point he just wants to win a championship again, rather then trying to hit another jackpot. My thoughts. 

His net worth is 16 million as of 2023.  

1 minute ago, Iron Fist said:

His net worth is 16 million as of 2023.  

16 million!?!? The guy made 9 million in one year. What crazy site did you get that info from? 

Steven Stamkos’s net worth / earnings / salary history: Earned US $104,807,927 (US $128,189,306 in today's dollars), ranking #20 in NHL /  hockey career earnings.

Country of birth: Canada
Position: C
NHL Draft:

9 minutes ago, Vancan said:

16 million!?!? The guy made 9 million in one year. What crazy site did you get that info from? 

Steven Stamkos’s net worth / earnings / salary history: Earned US $104,807,927 (US $128,189,306 in today's dollars), ranking #20 in NHL /  hockey career earnings.

Country of birth: Canada
Position: C
NHL Draft:

This was already discussed in length when he didn't get a contract extension last summer on CDC

That's earnings. not cash value

-federal income taxes

-agent comissions

-escrow

-manager comissions

-living expenses

-family living expenses

-luxury/leisure items

-offseason coaches/ trainers/ professionals

investments ( people lose money on investments all the time)

He probably has more but in stocks or trust accounts.

He obviously is wealthy, has whatever he wants.  Probably looking for security/ maintain lifestyle after hockey.  He's played in 4 cup finals, won 2.   

I would personally take the biggest payday i could possibly get, but that's just my opinion after watching The Saving Sakic documentary on Amazon, and watching documentaries about other star players from the past. They all said it was about the money.

4 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

8th year.  free agent he would've only got 7 years so price would 1.125 per year higher

work 7 years for 63mil or work 8 year for 64mil.. i pick 7.. after tax it's almost the same

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

work 7 years for 63mil or work 8 year for 64mil.. i pick 7.. after tax it's almost the same

Nucks have 14.54 in cap space per cap friendly

they will sign Dillon at 3x3

and a goalie around a million 

that leaves 10.54 

they could sign Brett Murray x .750 as a Lafferty replacement or duhsime at 1.25 

so max they can give JG is 9.7x 7 

essentially 68 million 

I’m sure they could play sone cap tricks and offer him 10 

44 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

So they are going to have 2 37 year old Defensemen in 3 years???? 

Cole was 34 THIS year.. how did that work out as the season went on? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Nucks have 14.54 in cap space per cap friendly

and a goalie around a million 

that leaves 10.54 

they could sign Brett Murray x .750 as a Lafferty replacement or duhsime at 1.25 

so max they can give JG is 9.7x 7 

essentially 68 million 

I’m sure they could play sone cap tricks and offer him 10 

well no i don't want them to overpay him at 10mil that fuks up the rest of the players.. but i'll still do +/-9mil ish now that zadorov is gone and if we are replacing with dillon then that's money freed up

4 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Lebrun said CAR offer has been on table since early this am 

he knows VAN can give him more total money 

Is that why a deal hasn’t been struck yet? I wonder if Guentzel would be dealt to the Canucks tmr sometime. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Is that why a deal hasn’t been struck yet? I wonder if Guentzel would be dealt to the Canucks tmr sometime. 

Friedman seems to indicate the resigning is close perhaps the news will come out after the draft.

Plus reports now seem to suggest Canucks would offer 9 x 7 for Guentzel. Which is $1 million in total money and with a team close to contention than Vancouver.

So I don't see a reason why Guentzel would hold out so he can sign with Vancouver if the Canes are giving a more favorable deal and situation.

2 hours ago, rmok said:

So they are going to have 2 37 year old Defensemen in 3 years???? 

Cole was 34 THIS year.. how did that work out as the season went on? 

Yeah, I'm worried about the age of our defenseman. Cole didn't do so well, and his quality of play really dipped. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Friedman seems to indicate the resigning is close perhaps the news will come out after the draft.

Plus reports now seem to suggest Canucks would offer 9 x 7 for Guentzel. Which is $1 million in total money and with a team close to contention than Vancouver.

So I don't see a reason why Guentzel would hold out so he can sign with Vancouver if the Canes are giving a more favorable deal and situation.

But why wouldn't Guentzel sign the deal if the Canes have offered it since this morning? That's weird. And why wait until the draft is over? The first round is the prime time, so technically, a few hours ago would have been a great time to announce that Guentzel has signed. If we don't hear anything by tomorrow morning, something is fishy...

Just now, N4ZZY said:

But why wouldn't Guentzel sign the deal if the Canes have offered it since this morning? That's weird. And why wait until the draft is over? The first round is the prime time, so technically, a few hours ago would have been a great time to announce that Guentzel has signed. If we don't hear anything by tomorrow morning, something is fishy...

I have a baseless theory that the Canes want to throw other players off their game during the draft. 🤔

At this point maybe Canucks can pivot to Jeff Skinner? He's still quite productive and can probably be had for a cheap "show me deal" and he played really well in his last contract year. 

39 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

At this point maybe Canucks can pivot to Jeff Skinner? He's still quite productive and can probably be had for a cheap "show me deal" and he played really well in his last contract year. 

I’d be disappointed if we couldn’t land Guentzel. Hes the best winger on the market if he gets there. 

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’d be disappointed if we couldn’t land Guentzel. Hes the best winger on the market if he gets there. 

I think the Canucks have positioned themselves well to give it a good try should Guentzel go to market.

I do however like the idea of 2 - 3 good NHLers to fill out the roster versus one bigtime winger along with a couple minimum wage depth players.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’d like to take a moment to step back and appreciate the ongoing debates. It’s the kinds of debates we’re having that show just how far we’ve come over the last year(ish).

Guentzel, Stamkos, Reinhart, Necas, some assortment of others, which top 4D to go with, etc.

We’re in a position to be debating whether we go after this years most sought after players WHILE having an amazing line-up locked down already. 

Gimme your hell yeahs, your hooo-yeahs, your hawk tuahs; whatever you fancy, I just want to give a shootout to how good it feels to be a Canuck fan this time of year again! 

This! We are not debating Linden Vey or Jake Skille anymore 🙂 It is a great improvement 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I do however like the idea of 2 - 3 good NHLers to fill out the roster versus one bigtime winger along with a couple minimum wage depth players.

I agree with this statement. I think Petey/Miller ARE our big time players. We need to surround them with good talent at reasonable prices.

I was totally on the Guentzel signing but the more i think about it an option b with a cheaper winger and 2 more defender would be great.

Option A

-Guentzel max. 9.5 or Stamkos max. 7.5

-Dillon 3×3 or 2 years × 3M

-cheap players for bottom 6 or RHD

Option B

-top 6 winger for max. 6-7M

-Dillon 3×3 or 2 years ×3

-RHD for max. 4.5M

Edited by German Canuck

15 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I think Guentzel at 9.5 over 7 is dodging a huge bullet. 

you're right, signing him to that deal would be dodging the huge bullet of not adding the pieces necessary to a promising core to push them over the top within their window. 

8 x 8 in CAR is like  9.65 or so in Vancouver.

So if net pay is how he bases his ask, or 4.7 take home,  fully expect his ask to be at least that.    He's a US player, we 3 core guys who are too so could see that pull, plus the coaches GM, JR etc.    

If we signed him at 9 x 8 (trade and sign), then he'd be taking a discount.    

To get to 64 with only seven years, the ask would be astronomical. 

Think if this is true,  Guentzel is off the  board. 

IMG_0066.png

IMG_0067.png