Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

18 minutes ago, tas said:

you're right, signing him to that deal would be dodging the huge bullet of not adding the pieces necessary to a promising core to push them over the top within their window. 

You talking about the 180, 5-11” guy that hasn’t played a full season in 5 years? And during that season scored a whopping 76 points. Hey, man, if you think that’s worth 9.5 x 7, then may I interest you in an elliptical trainer I’ve had on market place for the last 3 months? 

• Haha 3

I just don’t see a lot of wingers other than Guentzel and Stamkos that make us significantly better.

A few small soft floaters out there but that went over so well with Kuzmenko and Tocchet.  
Can’t see a Skinner doing well with Tocch, with his one career year of 200ft play.   Terravainen at least is somewhat used to it with Carolina. 
Can’t see us having the pieces for Necas as we have a very thin prospect pool and depleted draft capital. 
A few flawed PFs like Bertuzzi and DeBrusk and some just plane chronically over-rated players like Domi. 
I suspect we add a couple D and a reclamation project winger and shift to a much more defensive system with poor scoring depth. Remembering of course that the team PA starts with usually looks nothing like what finishes with. 
‘Will really hurt when Bruins add Lindholm and Stamkos. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You talking about the 180, 5-11” guy that hasn’t played a full season in 5 years? And during that season scored a whopping 76 points. Hey, man, if you think that’s worth 9.5 x 7, then may I interest you in an elliptical trainer I’ve had on market place for the last 3 months? 

the guy who consistently scores at better than a point per game and 35+ goal pace? yeah, that's him. 

edit: your gripe about him not playing full seasons is silly, too. of those 5 seasons you mention, he played all 56 games available in the COVID season, plus seasons of 76 and 78 games played. even the 67 this year isn't unreasonable. that's hockey. 

Edited by tas

4 minutes ago, tas said:

the guy who consistently scores at better than a point per game and 35+ goal pace? yeah, that's him. 

Ya, when he plays. I’m not saying he isn’t a great player, but he is injury prone and not worth more than JT Miller and Quinn Hughes. He is a left shot, left winger with a small body and mid speed. 

Just now, NoHeart said:

Ya, when he plays. I’m not saying he isn’t a great player, but he is injury prone and not worth more than JT Miller and Quinn Hughes. He is a left shot, left winger with a small body and mid speed. 

I edited my post previously to address that fallacy. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

I edited my post previously to address that fallacy. 

Not worth 9.5/year IMO, like I said before. Like the Sedin’s, anyone playing with n Crosby’s wing has elevated point production. 

2 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Not worth 9.5/year IMO, like I said before. Like the Sedin’s, anyone playing with n Crosby’s wing has elevated point production. 

Yes Crosby does make players better. However, that doesn't explain his rise in production when he was traded to Carolina. 25 points in 17 games (120 pt pace over 82 games) is even better than what he did with Crosby..... That must've been all because of Aho and Svechnikov, right? Nothing to do with Guentzel's talent....

31 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

anyone who's been playing with crosby knows how to play a professional game. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He improved his numbers in Carolina though 😂

Wow, a 20 game pop on a new team. He is 30 in Oct. $9.5M till he is 37? Seriously, missing out on this guy is a blessing. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Then we shouldn't have re-signed Miller. He was 29 when we re-signed him. He will be 37.

How much money do you want tied up in 37 year olds? 

3 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Wow, a 20 game pop on a new team. He is 30 in Oct. $9.5M till he is 37? Seriously, missing out on this guy is a blessing. 

Logic isn’t logicing with you here, can’t give all the credit to Crosby then dismiss him improving without Crosby. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well our window is now and not when they’re 37 for starters. 

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I don’t like players like Guentzel. So I’m pretty biased in my hate for him. I actually hate his face, he looks like a skinny Cory Perry. I’d sooner we add size in our top 6. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I don’t like players like Guentzel. So I’m pretty biased in my hate for him. I actually hate his face, he looks like a skinny Cory Perry. I’d sooner we add size in our top 6. 

You not liking good effective players based on their face is quite frankly, stupid. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I just don’t see a lot of wingers other than Guentzel and Stamkos that make us significantly better.

A few small soft floaters out there but that went over so well with Kuzmenko and Tocchet.  
Can’t see a Skinner doing well with Tocch, with his one career year of 200ft play.   Terravainen at least is somewhat used to it with Carolina. 
Can’t see us having the pieces for Necas as we have a very thin prospect pool and depleted draft capital. 
A few flawed PFs like Bertuzzi and DeBrusk and some just plane chronically over-rated players like Domi. 
I suspect we add a couple D and a reclamation project winger and shift to a much more defensive system with poor scoring depth. Remembering of course that the team PA starts with usually looks nothing like what finishes with. 
‘Will really hurt when Bruins add Lindholm and Stamkos. 

Come on there are lots of wingers. Mikheyev was playing with Petey last year.