Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

What makes him the elite?

Exactly? Guentzel is being overhyped as he is the best forward UFA at the moment. I hope Canucks dodge this bullet. Sign Taffoli. He's slow, but always has been, it really doesn't effect his game. He is Robitaille like in finding the soft shooting areas and has past chemistry with EP. Hogs the digger, EP the puck carrier and distributor, TT the soft spot shooter and a righty to boot. I like it.

• Like 1

Well. Serevalli says that Guentzel’s rights have been traded to Tampa Bay for a 3rd. Guess now he ain’t coming here for sure. 

Edited by N4ZZY

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Well. Serevalli says that Guentzel’s rights have been traded to Tampa Bay for a 3rd. Guess now he ain’t coming here for sure. 

hardly, just gives them a day head start to try to sway him. if they were that convinced they could get him given a level playing field, why give up the asset? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

hardly, just gives them a day head start to try to sway him. if they were that convinced they could get him given a level playing field, why give up the asset? 

How often does it work out for those teams?

Pretty often........they wouldn't give up an asset if they weren't pretty confident.  I expect he's off the market today

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pretty often........they wouldn't give up an asset if they weren't pretty confident.  I expect he's off the market today

Oh it's done for sure.

Guentzel-Geekie could be really good together.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't say "for sure".  He didn't sign with Carolina after all.  And that was a contender team giving him his asking price.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

if they were confident why wouldn't they hang on to the 3rd and wait for 24 hours?

I liked the idea of getting Guentzel. But if that's not gonna happen, I would LOVE to bring Toffoli back. If we can land Toffoli, that's a good back up plan. And probably a hell of alot cheaper option too. 

Just now, gwarrior said:

I liked the idea of getting Guentzel. But if that's not gonna happen, I would LOVE to bring Toffoli back. If we can land Toffoli, that's a good back up plan. And probably a hell of alot cheaper option too. 

Sounds like LA is going to make a hard push and that's a tough hill for Van to climb I think 

1 minute ago, tas said:

if they were confident why wouldn't they hang on to the 3rd and wait for 24 hours?

If they weren't confident, why would they give up an asset?

My guess is they want to get it done before there's a bidding war and the price goes up

Hope this management group didn’t get tunnel vision like with the last group and OEL.

Gonna have to pivot quickly if they wanna fill that top 6 spot. If not in free agency then taking advantage of some teams tight against the cap.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they weren't confident, why would they give up an asset?

My guess is they want to get it done before there's a bidding war and the price goes up

to give them a day to try to convince him before everybody else. they're confident enough to gamble, but if it was anything resembling a sure thing that guentzel wanted to go there, they wouldn't throw away their pick. 

We’re going to end up pursuing guys like Arvidsson. Would not be surprised if he’s in a Nux jersey soon. 

Value squeezes on the menu again…Arvidsson, Zucker, Skinner level. If we miss out on a high end W, we’re going to stockpile depth. That’s really our only option unless we reserve cap space for trades further into offseason 

Edited by RWJC

Just now, Dizzle said:

Really? When does that cut off?

you have to have the player on your team as of the previous trade deadline to give him an 8 year deal. that's why any team other than carolina wanting to give him 8 years would have had to orchestrate a sign and trade. 

Just now, RWJC said:

We’re going to end up pursuing guys like Arvidsson. Would not be surprised if he’s in a Nux jersey soon. 

If it’s short term I’m fine with it.

Dont need to be giving 5 year deals to guys like Toffoli though that’s what we’re trying to get away from.

If we can’t get a big fish Id rather them explore the trade market. Might be able to get some decent players for cheap.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Not that I'm a fan of Arvidsson, but I think acquiring depth scoring is more important at this point in their climb.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1