Jake Guentzel Close to Re-Signing with Carolina, EIGHT-Year Deal

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

We’re going to end up pursuing guys like Arvidsson. Would not be surprised if he’s in a Nux jersey soon. 

I’d love Teuvo Teravainen and Tyler Toffoli and not just because gramma loves some TTs. I bet they could both be had for whatever Guentzel ends up getting. 

• Haha 3

Just now, stawns said:

Not that I'm a fan of Arvidsson, but I think acquiring depth scoring is more important at this point in their climb.

Yep cycle guys around the core and stay flexible for the next couple seasons. 

Anybody you can get on 2 year deals either through signing or trade I’d be looking into.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hope this management group didn’t get tunnel vision like with the last group and OEL.

Gonna have to pivot quickly if they wanna fill that top 6 spot. If not in free agency then taking advantage of some teams tight against the cap.

teams tight against the cap aint going to trade away good top 6 or ones with good contract.. they'll be looking to dump players like the mikheyevs

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not that I'm a fan of Arvidsson, but I think acquiring depth scoring is more important at this point in their climb.

Absolutely, and especially if they strike out on any big UFA. Utilize that cap space to flesh out the club and spread the responsibility around. Just a question of who fits where. Our 3rd line is set, though we could bump Blueger back down to 4th. We really need to replenish our 4th line, and value add EPs line…just hope it keeps him satisfied with what he’s provided.

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’d love Teuvo Teravainen and Tyler Toffoli and not just because gramma loves some TTs. I bet they could both be had for whatever Guentzel ends up getting. 

You blowin big bubbles motorboatin that tub there Grams? You old pervert. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

teams tight against the cap aint going to trade away good top 6 or ones with good contract.. they'll be looking to dump players like the mikheyevs

Tampa just dumped Sergachev to free up cap.

New York is looking to dump Trouba with retention.

There may be names you wouldn’t expect.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

to give them a day to try to convince him before everybody else. they're confident enough to gamble, but if it was anything resembling a sure thing that guentzel wanted to go there, they wouldn't throw away their pick. 

to expand on this, the important advantage to having a day's head start is that you can see if it's not going to happen or if he's determined to play the market and then regroup in time for the opening of free agency. you don't have to waste the first 12 hours of the opening day of free agency barking up the wrong tree, meanwhile your plans b, c, d, and e through k are all signing elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ekblad.

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Absolutely, and especially if they strike out on any big UFA. Utilize that cap space to flesh out the club and spread the responsibility around. Just a question of who fits where. Our 3rd line is set, though we could bump Blueger back down to 4th. We really need to replenish our 4th line, and value add EPs line…just hope it keeps him satisfied with what he’s provided.

Maybe Stephenson is on the radar at 3C, playing a role like Lindy?  That bumps blueger down to 4C and really makes that 3rd line formidable.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Maybe Stephenson is on the radar at 3C, playing a role like Lindy?  That bumps blueger down to 4C and really makes that 3rd line formidable.

Not at 6+mill he’s not. We can’t afford that for any more 3rd line players. Those kind of $ have to be allocated to EP’s wing somehow, imho 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

IMHO PA has lots of irons in the fire. He has some CAP to play with. NHL players have to like their chances of a CUP if they come to Vancouver. What a change for the Van option. The other twist is hockey relationships inside the NHL. Rutherford, Allvin and Tocchet have been around for quite a few years. Which UFA's do they know and can they sway their decisions. 

Nothing would surprise me tomorrow. 

44 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I would say it doesn't happen very often but it does happen. 

IMO...That's how we got Miller, Colorado got Devon Toews and so on. 

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I would say it doesn't happen very often but it does happen. 

IMO...That's how we got Miller, Colorado got Devon Toews and so on. 

And more recently Sergachev went for pennies on the dollar. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO PA has lots of irons in the fire. He has some CAP to play with. NHL players have to like their chances of a CUP if they come to Vancouver. What a change for the Van option. The other twist is hockey relationships inside the NHL. Rutherford, Allvin and Tocchet have been around for quite a few years. Which UFA's do they know and can they sway their decisions. 

Nothing would surprise me tomorrow. 

Yeah exactly. It’s not as if they didn’t have a backup plan if Guentzel didn’t sign here. This is the most relaxed I’ve been around free agency time in years. The Canucks are going to ice a good team next year and I’m excited to see what happens tomorrow. 

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like Stephenson. He has exceptional speed and is versatile. He did anchor Vegas’ top line a couple years back too. For the right price he is exactly the type of center we could use…at the right price. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Pickly said:

Yeah exactly. It’s not as if they didn’t have a backup plan if Guentzel didn’t sign here. This is the most relaxed I’ve been around free agency time in years. The Canucks are going to ice a good team next year and I’m excited to see what happens tomorrow. 

I have total faith in the management.  Mostly because they've shown that when they make a mistake, they correct it quickly without to much loss, if any.  As for being agressive, when you are in your window, it is necessary to have the balls to pull the trigger.  Most importantly, knowing when to go all in.  I think Allvin and Co are about to show us how to do it right.  Sit back and enjoy.  This will be fun! 

• Like 1

We don't have to completely fill out our roster through Free Agency IMO.

We're pretty close to what we started last season with, if we can upgrade a few positions with players on reasonable contracts then we should do it.

But some of our guys need an opportunity to crack the line up as well. 

‘After unloading Mikhail Sergachev and Tanner Jeannot on Day 2 of the draft to open up more cap space, and preparing for Steven Stamkos to walk to unrestricted free agency, the Lightning shot to the top of the list of suitors for Guentzel. On Sunday, they traded for Guentzel’s negotiating rights, sending a 2025 third-rounder back to Carolina.’

And a tax-free state; can’t see him coming to Vancouver now. Would love a Petey winger that’s not over 30 years old but the list is not terribly long (from article on msn.com):

Want to sign a 20g+ scorer under the age of 29? Options are limited: Reinhart (28) Duclair (28) Foegele (28) Debrusk (27) Sprong (27) Not many more under 30 either: Guentzel, Monahan, Teravainen, Bertuzzi, and Mantha. Not an easy UFA goal scoring fix out there.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

i don't necessary think sergachev was a *dump. he has a massive cap hit coming off a horrible season defensively and to cap it off with a serious injury.. there's a massive risk involve.. and trouba outside of his nasty hit.. is a liability.. he's no where close to the player he was.. if sergachev had a great year last season.. tampa wouldn't be making that move.. fact is he didn't.. came off a serious injury.. they saw a chance to dump him before the ntc kicks in.