[RUMOUR] Brenden Dillon wants to sign in Vancouver

25 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I bet he signs somewhere for 4.5-5 and everyone realizes management wasn’t willing to give him more than 4 because he’s a #5 defenceman 🫣

Exactly, we should all be very happy that Allvin won't overpay even for a player who they really like.  Bad contracts will come back to bite you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

I think he showed he can be a 4th defenceman - I realize a small sample but he did it when it mattered most. That means something, period.  It is the intangibles that I think make him worth the higher end salary. No one can deny that we have needed a massive, physical, fairly mobile defenceman willing and wanting to stick up for the team. By all accounts he is high character as well. I would go to the higher limits for sure - what that is we do not know yet 

But what are the higher limits for a career number 5 guy? Yes he had a good showing in Vancouver, you can’t pay a guy solely based on a couple months. I’d say the higher end should actually be 4.5. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, rmok said:

He'll be 34 at the beginning of the season.. why in the world would they give him more term and more $ than myers? 

Myers is also better than Dillon. 

Zadorov is almost 5 years younger and also better than Dillon.. if you are paying 4 for Dillon just pay another million and get the better younger player. 

Who doesn't like big Z (Management included)

Management knows all this stuff and will make the best decision, they want committed players here , not ones looking for looking for top dime , I like that they aren't waiting for him to see if he gets a better offer, and have let other ufa know, if you wanna be here, sign before we spend the money and get someone who does want to be a part of this. July 1st big Z takes his own advice and listens to the trees 😒

15 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

But what are the higher limits for a career number 5 guy? Yes he had a good showing in Vancouver, you can’t pay a guy solely based on a couple months. I’d say the higher end should actually be 4.5. 

I hear you but look at what these coaches (Foote, Gonchar) have done with Myers. What if we are seeing the tip of Zadorov's potential? I believe he has all the tools to become a true No.4.  I am willing to bet on that but I do trust our management team with that decision 

1 minute ago, LunarPoetry said:

I hear you but look at what these coaches (Foote, Gonchar) have done with Myers. What if we are seeing the tip of Zadorov's potential? I believe he has all the tools to become a true No.4.  I am willing to bet on that but I do trust our management team with that decision 

I think the fact that they’re drawing a line - if it’s below 5 - says the coaches probably are not banging the drum for him as a number 4 guy. 

• ThereItIs 1

DONT THINK HE IS GONE YET BUT IF HE DOES GO SOMEWHERE FOR MORE MONEY I THINK HE WILL REGRET IT CAUSE VANCOUVER IS THE CITY TO PLAY IN AND THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.BUY A HOUSE IN VAN AND MAKE SOME MORE WHILE PLAYING..BIG Z IS GOOD FOR TEAM TOUGHNESS HE IS OK FOR SKATING ABILITY FOR HIS SIZE AND NOT A BADD SHOT FOR A BIG GUY..ID SAY TRY TO GET HIM CAUSE YOU NEED THAT B D MAN THAT HAS SKILL AND CAN FIGHT..HE GETS BURNED AT TIMES BUT OVERALL NOT TOO BAD...

• Like 1
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

I think the fact that they’re drawing a line - if it’s below 5 - says the coaches probably are not banging the drum for him as a number 4 guy. 

Seems likely. They offered a 1 mil per year raise, hardly an insult.

43 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Not sure many will agree. Soucy is a very steady dman and in my opinion ahead of Zads for limiting his mistakes. 

The coaches agree.. which is why they played Zads more when it mattered. They eye test also agrees. Soucy makes TONS of myerseque mistakes. Takes in opportune penalties etc. he also is injury prone.. only played 40 games. He may be tall but he is not physical and is not intimidating. He's fine as a third pairing guy.. but he is not a top 4 Dman at all. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I will be if he signs for <5.3ish. I feel like we should match that. However, if it starts with a 6 then I understand.

I think the money is only half the issue. The other half is term. I just wonder if Zadorov wanted five-plus years and the team was only willing to go as much as three or four.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think the money is only half the issue. The other half is term. I just wonder if Zadorov wanted five-plus years and the team was only willing to go as much as three or four.

I am not so sure term is the sticking point. We don't exactly have a parade of D in the system that he'd be standing in the way of down the line and he is still under 30. The only good D prospect we have doesn't even play the left side like Zads. And we heard from Zad's camp was "He's fine taking a paycut, but only to a point." Paraphrasing. So to me it sounds like money is the sticking point. We'll see if anyone is willing to give him that 5.5m+.

• Like 1

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

I am not so sure term is the sticking point. We don't exactly have a parade of D in the system that he'd be standing in the way of down the line and he is still under 30. The only good D prospect we have doesn't even play the left side like Zads. And we heard from Zad's camp was "He's fine taking a paycut, but only to a point." Paraphrasing. So to me it sounds like money is the sticking point. We'll see if anyone is willing to give him that 5.5m+.

Elias Pettersson is a very nice defensive prospect with top 4 potential and plays the left side.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I think you are probably right. According to AFPAnalytics, they project Zadorov getting a five year deal at $5.3M AAV. 

Really interesting site, by the way.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JPtGk5m_S9VuR5e7T8lb_BlilXRwJPF0V2ddQzjjpvc/edit?pli=1&gid=1769332179#gid=1769332179

14 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Elias Pettersson is a very nice defensive prospect with top 4 potential and plays the left side.

Fair enough. But even if he does make it, we can slide Zads over. And even with Zads on a 6 year deal. Pettersson won't be making top 4 money any time soon. Unless he REALLY breaks out quickly. Kid is still just 20 years old. He might be on a 2-3mil deal by then. Soucy and Myers will be long gone. 5-6 year deal for Zads is about the timeline of D Petey becoming a top 4 D, or at least making top 4 D money. IF he can even reach that level. He's not exactly a big time prospect. As much as I love him.

51 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

EP2

Mynio

Kudraytsvev

its not a baron wasteland on LHD in our pipeline 

5 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Rick Dhaliwal needs to stop pretending like he's some sort of insider. "With Zadorov gone..".. Has he signed elsewhere? No? Then shut the fuck up with the speculation like it's fact. You know nothing sir, stop pretending like you do. 

Don't tell Dhali to shut the fuck up! You can shut the fuck up buddy! 

That dude's Hawaiian T-Shirts work harder in one hour then you do in a day! You need to check yourself.

If you want to tell Patterson or Drance to fuck off I'll let it slide, do as you please.. I'll be damned if I'm going to let you disrespect Dhaliwal like that though!

You're just lucky you left Donnie out of this!

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

That dude's Hawaiian T-Shirts work harder in one hour then you do in a day! You need to check yourself.

If you want to tell Patterson or Drance to fuck off I'll let it slide, do as you please.. I'll be damned if I'm going to let you disrespect Dhaliwal like that though!

I put in more hours a week than Dhali has in his entire desk job life. Nice try tho. Donnie and Dhali are not insiders. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

• Wiener 1

5 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Are you Dhali's personal body guard or something? lol

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

EP2

Mynio

Kudraytsvev

its not a baron wasteland on LHD in our pipeline 

There was a time Brisebois we considered a big time 3rd pair piece in the system. Looks to be a career AHLer. As time goes on, you realize the hype between a lot of these kids dies off pretty quickly, especially if they weren't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. I am not saying they have no chance, but the odds are very low. I wouldn't say "Well we can't sign Zadorov long term cause of Sawyer Mynio." Lol.