[RUMOUR] Brenden Dillon wants to sign in Vancouver

52 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I swear that some of these guys are literally following these forums and turning our idle, rabid speculations into "Insider Rumours"

Of course they are. This site has thousands of members. They know how to take an aggregate of opinions and rumors and ramp it up to 10 to get people riled up and tuning in. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

You have to remember this is Christmas morning/Superbowl for these "Insiders" (aka PAYDAY from clicks) Media has become a nasty business 

This is correct. A media company like "The Province" and "The Vancouver Sun" are classified as tabloids. They are much better in reputation compared to "The Daily Mail"; however, they are still tabloids. Tabloids are typically used to be mouthpieces for whatever the company wants to push out, whether this is politics or otherwise. Unfortunately, the company that runs the above papers (Postmedia) coincidentally owns a crap ton of newspapers, so they push out a lot of confusing narratives - often divisive - to keep people apart. Interestingly, Postmedia is also an American hedgefund company, which by itself may or may not be significant. It depends on how you look at it. But ultimately, you are correct - their SOLE purpose is to make money. Realistically, they don't care if their newspapers divide people.

None of this stuff is meant to sound like a conspiracy theory.

image.thumb.png.019c7517d8278415ec581712fcb7bbfb.png

This came straight from Wikipedia. Maybe not the best source, but it's enough to illustrate what kind of company they are. Capitalism at its worst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Asset_Management

The National Post is one of their companies - and they are very clearly a biased editorial - even from an objective point of view. You never read about them criticizing a certain party, but they'll happily criticize every other party, INCLUDING the Liberals (who are not perfect - far from perfect). That is problematic and not an objective source.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He would be my second choice. 4x4. Get er done Allvin!!!

He'll be 34 at the beginning of the season.. why in the world would they give him more term and more $ than myers? 

Myers is also better than Dillon. 

Zadorov is almost 5 years younger and also better than Dillon.. if you are paying 4 for Dillon just pay another million and get the better younger player. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rmok said:

He'll be 34 at the beginning of the season.. why in the world would they give him more term and more $ than myers? 

Myers is also better than Dillon. 

Zadorov is almost 5 years younger and also better than Dillon.. if you are paying 4 for Dillon just pay another million and get the better younger player. 

My feeling is that Zadorov is going to get something higher than $5m, perhaps considerably more. He raised his game so much with all eyes watching and this is his chance at his largest payday. I hope we can make it work but will not be surprised or upset with our management if not

3 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

My feeling is that Zadorov is going to get something higher than $5m, perhaps considerably more. He raised his game so much with all eyes watching and this is his chance at his largest payday. I hope we can make it work but will not be surprised or upset with our management if not

I bet he signs somewhere for 4.5-5 and everyone realizes management wasn’t willing to give him more than 4 because he’s a #5 defenceman 🫣

• Sad 1

I wonder if we'd just be better off ponying up for Pesce or Roy. Even so, we may still have enough for Dillon anyway.

7 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

I will be if he signs for <5.3ish. I feel like we should match that. However, if it starts with a 6 then I understand.

• Like 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

Canucks should match 4.5-5 without question.

I mean… if they chose not to there’s likely a reason. I know we all love Zads, but I have been saying this for weeks. He is a number 5 defenceman with a unique toolbox. Hard to allocate that much money to a number 5 guy. 

7 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I mean… if they chose not to there’s likely a reason. I know we all love Zads, but I have been saying this for weeks. He is a number 5 defenceman with a unique toolbox. Hard to allocate that much money to a number 5 guy. 

He's better than Soucy.. don't care what anyone says.. There is literally nothing that soucy does better than Zads. Size, skating, intimidation, hitting, outlet passes, less mistakes, scoring. When you have as much cap as the Canucks have available .. bringing back Soucy/Myers as a second pair and then overpaying for a 28year old fringe NHLer/3rd liner like Joshua... big mistake. 
Huge defensemen that can competently play 2nd pair.. way more valuable for that money.. 3rd line wingers are not hard to find for cheap including having a spot for internal promotions (podz, karlson, raty, baines, sasson)

Edited by rmok
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

7 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Something has to be said with us being his 5th team... so far. He went to the media and said he wants out of Calgary, so I get that one. But 3 other teams getting rid of him is not coincidence. 

7 minutes ago, rmok said:

He's better than Soucy.. don't care what anyone says.. There is literally nothing that soucy does better than Zads. Size, skating, intimidation, hitting, outlet passes, less mistakes, scoring. When you have as much cap as the Canucks have available .. bringing back Soucy/Myers as a second pair and then overpaying for a 28year old fringe NHLer/3rd liner like Joshua... big mistake. 
Huge defensemen that can competently play 2nd pair.. way more valuable for that money.. 3rd line wingers are not hard to find for cheap including having a spot for internal promotions (podz, karlson, raty, baines, sasson)

Not sure many will agree. Soucy is a very steady dman and in my opinion ahead of Zads for limiting his mistakes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I think he showed he can be a 4th defenceman - I realize a small sample but he did it when it mattered most. That means something, period.  It is the intangibles that I think make him worth the higher end salary. No one can deny that we have needed a massive, physical, fairly mobile defenceman willing and wanting to stick up for the team. By all accounts he is high character as well. I would go to the higher limits for sure - what that is we do not know yet