[RUMOUR] Brenden Dillon wants to sign in Vancouver

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Well after watching years and years of Canuck hockey, we are very weak in the intimidation department and even more so in the playoffs.

Last year that was different. It was better but we could have improved by finding tougher replacements for players like PDG, Aman, Suter and the like. 

I don't know how else you limit "Open Season" on Hughes without improving team toughness. The big problem nowadays is to find those players who can also play hockey. Big Z is that guy.  

You can always find butcher for 1 mil.I love Zadorov,but this is to much.Fair offer is 5 and he had it on the table.

• ThereItIs 2

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know how else you limit "Open Season" on Hughes without improving team toughness. The big problem nowadays is to find those players who can also play hockey. Big Z is that guy.  

Dont know if you missed It but it was open season on Hughes with Zadorov on the team this postseason.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Well after watching years and years of Canuck hockey, we are very weak in the intimidation department and even more so in the playoffs.

Last year that was different. It was better but we could have improved by finding tougher replacements for players like PDG, Aman, Suter and the like. 

Zadorov is not the only guy who can do that, why is this so hard to grasp? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, I think we haven't had a player like Zadorov in such a long time, that when he showed up in the playoffs with heavy hits, and goals, this market just fell in love with him. But your right, Zadorov's not the only player that can do that, and all of the previous 5 teams he's been on, since he's left, they've all been alright. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I think we haven't had a player like Zadorov in such a long time, that when he showed up in the playoffs with heavy hits, and goals, this market just fell in love with him. But your right, Zadorov's not the only player that can do that, and all of the previous 5 teams he's been on, since he's left, they've all been alright. 

And we just can't pay him to be a top pair D when he is a bottom pair D.  Only so much money to go around.  

22 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Dont confuse "this year" with 10 playoff games. He was #6 amongst canucks dmen in TOI with a career low 17:04 average in his 54 regular season games.

He was also a mid season trade, new to the team and the systems. So that is in no way surprising that it would take time to integrate him an earn the coaches trust. 

Meanwhile.. when it mattered he was relied on more than anyone not named Hughes or Hronek.. thats just a reality. 

Its hard to make the 'small sample size' argument when the team gave Joshua .. a 28 year old with less than 200 NHL games 13 million over 4 years for about 3 months of 3rd line level NHL play. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

There are very few defenseman who carry his multi-talents. He ups his game in the playoffs, produces offensively , he can skate and he has NHL experience. So , can you name the other defenseman in the NHL who are available that carry these attributes?

Fighting, toughness, big hits and sticking up for team mates are what most see but I see him as the whole package.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

There are very few defenseman who carry his multi-talents. He ups his game in the playoffs, produces offensively , he can skate and he has NHL experience. So , can you name the other defenseman in the NHL who are available that carry these attributes?

Fighting, toughness, big hits and sticking up for team mates are what most see but I see him as the whole package.

He upped his game in the playoffs this year.........no guarantee it ever happens again.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

So do you think if he was paired with Hughes that he wouldn't be a deterrent?

How about if Joshua's line was on the ice too.

This is the NHL when you get to teams like Dallas Florida and Boston they don’t give a fuck who is on the ice there are no deterrents look at how abused McDavid and Draisaitl got no matter who was on the ice vs Florida…

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He upped his game in the playoffs this year.........no guarantee it ever happens again.  

We simply need to look at cap. If we paid Zad >5m we would be unable to sign a big name FA winger like Guentzel or Stamkos. I honestly think this is PAs biggest priority, and he doesn’t want to hamstring himself until he knows what it actually costs. He danced with Zad for a few weeks at least….reached the point of stalemate, so dealt Mik and reupped the guys that provided value. Had Zara been reasonable, he would have got the extension, and others would be testing the market.

i loved Zads, but Stamkos, another 3.5-4m FA dman, and some other mid tier guys (1.5m - 2.5m) provide more value that Zad and Toffoli.

the Demelo contract set the market; 4.9m x 4 years. My guess is Zads wanted more money AND term.

Edited by BC_Hawk

16 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

We simply need to look at cap. If we paid Zad >5m we would be unable to sign a big name FA winger like Guentzel or Stamkos. I honestly think this is PAs biggest priority, and he doesn’t want to hamstring himself until he knows what it actually costs. He danced with Zad for a few weeks at least….reached the point of stalemate, so dealt Mik and reupped the guys that provided value. Had Zara been reasonable, he would have got the extension, and others would be testing the market.

i loved Zads, but Stamkos, another 3.5-4m FA dman, and some other mid tier guys (1.5m - 2.5m) provide more value that Zad and Toffoli.

the Demelo contract set the market; 4.9m x 4 years. My guess is Zads wanted more money AND term.

Well JG is as good as gone and let's be thankful we dodged that bullet.

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

LIKE. Will come via FA or a trade. Lots of teams shedding cap.

There's some good options that are cheaper and (hopefully) shorter term

Stamkos

Stephenson

Marchesseault

Toffoli

Teravainen

Mantha

Zucker

Arvidsson

Perron

Kane

Debrusk

Bertuzzi

Henrique

Atkinson

They could also go with Joshua and garland as line 2 and rebuild the entire third line

And yes, taking advantage of teams trying to clear cap is another route 

Edited by stawns