[Trade] Vegas trades Thompson to Caps

• Coconuts changed the title to [Trade] Vegas trades Thompson to Caps
10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hockey images that precede unfortunate events

"Sorry, we're fresh out of Golden Knights goalies named Logan Thompson... want an Adin Hill instead?"

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Everyone making room to take a run at Guentzel 

Yes, I have been saying for days that we are likely much better doing one of those deals and filling holes than entering in the overpriced sweepstakes for Guentzel.

Unless our management is confident through back channels that they have a really good shot at him, why get into that fight.  Some of these players moved are really solid pick ups (not this one in particular)

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes, I have been saying for days that we are likely much better doing one of those deals and filling holes than entering in the overpriced sweepstakes for Guentzel.

Unless our management is confident through back channels that they have a really good shot at him, why get into that fight.  Some of these players moved are really solid pick ups (not this one in particular)

Fill holes while every other team is trying to get better while we look to remain the same. I don’t see us matchup well against a fully healthy Vegas as is even with a toffoli or debrusk and if they do indeed go for guentzel I don’t see how we can even match up against them l.. a lot of the good contending teams have 8+ 9+ million guy and ices an excellent team on the ice. While we have 1 and don’t want to pay for any high end players and go the cheap route 

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Fill holes while every other team is trying to get better while we look to remain the same. I don’t see us matchup well against a fully healthy Vegas as is even with a toffoli or debrusk and if they do indeed go for guentzel I don’t see how we can even match up against them l.. a lot of the good contending teams have 8+ 9+ million guy and ices an excellent team on the ice. While we have 1 and don’t want to pay for any high end players and go the cheap route 

It isn’t about the salary, it is how efficient it is compared with their cap hits.

Paying $10 million for Guentzel IF you get him in a sweepstakes is going to give you worse results on the ice as he won’t live up to that.

The biggest chance is you end up with neither and end up with Hoglander and Podkolzin in your top six.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

It isn’t about the salary, it is how efficient it is compared with their cap hits.

Paying $10 million for Guentzel IF you get him in a sweepstakes is going to give you worse results on the ice as he won’t live up to that.

The biggest chance is you end up with neither and end up with Hoglander and Podkolzin in your top six.

sure there's a chance you don't end up with him. but all the talks about not going for him and settle for inferior players is suppose to make us better? again toffoli or debrusk with dillon is an upgrade over lindholm and zadorov? you sign those guys to 3-4 years contract and use up all the cap space that's great. so how do we get better than what we had last season? we are worried about signing a players till they are 36-37 yet we are ok with signing players for mid aav in the 4-6s till they are 36-37

15 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Why does anyone help Vegas.

Let them die out

Because it helps them too, sometimes

In this case it gives Washington a guy who has shown he can maybe be a legit #1 to pair with Lindgren on the cheap

Thompson's cap hit ain't even 800k, that's great for a cap crunched Caps team