Melvin Fernstrom | RW

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah interested to hear what they say.

There were a few defenseman I liked more. Fernstrom is a bit more of a project but when your lacking picks maybe you swing on a guy you hope you can develop into a top 6 scorer. 

I think that's probably it, consensus highest upside.

We also have dpetey and willander moving up hopefully in the next 2-3 years.

I would think we will see some d picked next.

As a reminder...last few drafts a lot of people didn't like Allvin's picks and they ended up being good pick ups and developing well

I.e 

Ty Young

Jackson Dorrington

Sawyer Mynio

Ty Mueller

Vilmer Alriksson

They had eyes on him all year likely as they kept tabs on Lekkerimaki and Pettersson playing for Orebro. A huge upside is that Orebro called up Fernstrom for the SHL playoffs and played games. Orebro is notorious for developing their young players and giving them looks. I like the upside, his profile matches a lot of what Lekkerimaki was in his draft year. Good shot, motor and work ethic needs to improve and he did. I can expect a similar projection for Fernstrom, he could be a really good top six player if he finds a way to move his feet and improve his overall pace. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I didn't think wed get a guy with this kinda scoring upside here in the draft so hes got lots of time to develop playing against men in SHL then adjusting to NA ice and getting stronger for Abby

I like this pick 

Definitely a swing for the fences type pick. High risk, high reward type.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think that's probably it, consensus highest upside.

We also have dpetey and willander moving up hopefully in the next 2-3 years.

I would think we will see some d picked next.

A bit off topic, but for some reason when I watch EP2 I don’t exactly think he’s a sure fire bet to make the NHL. Hope I’m wrong.

Willander though….that kid is going to be REALLY good. Made it look easy at times in his first NCAA year.

• Like 1

NHL GM'S Drafting Philosophy =  BPA - Best Player Available 

Canuck Drafting Philosophy = BSA - Best Swede Available 

Sounds like a pick with upside but issues to work on...kinda what you expect once you get outta the 1st & 2nd rounds

Kind of sounds like he plays like Suter. Puts himself in good positions naturally offensively and defensively but maybe not high end skill and little power to his game. 
Hyperbole about his scoring touch but that isn’t uncommon in these profiles. 
Lekkerimake really added some dog to his game last season, maybe Örebro can do that for Melvin too. 

Sounds like the kid will need 4-5 years of serious gym time and conditioning to be able to compete at pro hockey. He is a bit of a hail marry pick but if he can improve that side of his game, he could carve out a spot with the Canucks