Basile Sansonnens | D

Lots of LDs in the system

Any chance Utunen or Truscott make the team one day? They've been "developing" for a while now. Time to move on. There's always Dorrington and Gabrielsson too, or will they also fall by the wayside?

Kudryavtsev and Mynio are with Abby

Maybe Sansonnens is a re-do on restocking the LD position

30 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Any chance Utunen or Truscott make the team one day? They've been "developing" for a while now. Time to move on. There's always Dorrington and Gabrielsson too, or will they also fall by the wayside?

Utunen and Truscott are both no longer with the club

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I think we let both those guys go 

• Thanks 1

Love this pick at 7. I have always been of the belief that the late birthday get less of an opportunity to shine. This guy was almost eligible for the 2025 draft and with his size (6'4''), I expect him to  be a late bloomer as he learns to fill out his body.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/players/basile-sansonnens

One of the more intriguing prospects at this year's Vancouver Canucks Development Camp is left-shot defenceman Basile Sansonnens. A seventh pick by Vancouver in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft, Sansonnens is a bit of an unknown, with many sites not having scouting reports available. Now part of the Canucks organization, the Swiss defender is ready to show why Vancouver took a chance on him. 

On draft day, Sansonnes was at his house watching the NHL Draft on his phone, surrounded by family. He then saw his name pop up as the Canucks selected him 221st overall. As Sansonnes describes, it was "an amazing experience" and a moment that he and his family were very proud of. 

When asked about meetings with Vancouver before the draft, Sansonnes revealed an interesting strategy the organization used to get to know him better. Sansonnes said, "I had to fill out the questionnaire and also a Zoom meeting with a scout." Based on his answer, it is clear the Canucks saw something that most public scouts didn't, leading the organization to select the defender. 

Still 17, Sansonnes is listed at 6'2", 196 pounds, according to NHL Central Scouting. When asked to describe his game, Sansonnes said, "I would say it's pretty defensive, but good on the breakout. I tried to get more and more involved in the offensive game, but for now, it's more defensive and transition." He also said that the Swiss player he looked up to while growing up was New Jersey Devils defenceman Jonas Siegenthaler, who is currently entering his seventh NHL season. 

While Sansonnes spent most of the season at the U20 level in Switzerland, he did see some action at both the SL and NL levels. When asked about playing at the pro level, Sansonnes said, "It's a great experience because you play in front of 10,00 people, and so you have more pressure, but it's also on another level. So yeah, you learn from the best." Sansonnes also confirmed that he is moving from HC Fribourg-Gottéron's program to Lausanne HC, where he has signed a contract until the end of the 2027-28 season. As Sansonnes explains, the move is to his overall development as well as to give him more opportunities next season. 

This year, Sansonnes also competed with Switzerland at the U18s. During the tournament, he averaged over 18 minutes a game while surpassing the 20-minute mark multiple times. While Sansonnes doesn't know if he will be part of Switzerland's World Juniors team this December, he did say that the plan is to go to camp, which will take place in Finland in the next few weeks, and that his inclusion on the team could be a possibility. 

For now, Sansonnes is enjoying his time in Vancouver and trying to absorb as much information as he can from the Canucks development staff. So far, he hasn't looked out of place and has had a strong showing at Development Camp. Fans will want to keep an eye on him over the next couple of years as he continues to develop in Switzerland. 

Edited by KesLord
  • Thanks 1

Sansonnens being selected over higher-touted prospects such as Igor Chernyshov (San Jose), Sebastian Soini (Minnesota Wild), Aron Kiviharju (Minnesota Wild), and Lucas Pettersson (Anaheim Ducks), who were all taken higher at the NHL draft, suggests there is a good chance he reports and begins his North American transition immediately.

However, there is one small catch to those plans. Sansonnens recently signed a new deal at the end of May with a Swiss National League team (Lausanne HC), locking him in until the 2027-28 campaign. As recently as yesterday, he indicated his plans to report and enjoy a much higher role in the Swiss NL league.

Today is a new day, however, that brings new opportunities. Being offered the opportunity to fast-track his North American transition could present a beneficial opportunity to grab his development by the horns.

Generally, the higher imports are selected, the better the intel from the teams, and the higher the chance they report. Given Sansonnens’ high selection, the expectation is strong that he will make the move to North America.

From watching his name called in Vegas from his couch to reporting to his first NHL development camp, and now being selected by Rimouski, it’s been quite the week for this young defender.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-prospect-basile-sansonnens-31st-overall-chl-import-draft

However, there is one small catch to those plans. Sansonnens recently signed a new deal at the end of May with a Swiss National League team (Lausanne HC), locking him in until the 2027-28 campaign. As recently as yesterday, he indicated his plans to report and enjoy a much higher role in the Swiss NL league.

Probably would benefit playing in the NL for Lausanne. Gets opportunity to play against men and grow into his body. I'm less concerned about him playing on NA ice.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-prospect-basile-sansonnens-31st-overall-chl-import-draft

Probably would benefit playing in the NL for Lausanne. Gets opportunity to play against men and grow into his body. I'm less concerned about him playing on NA ice.

Much better for his development IMO.

I’m not sold on the QMJHL developing good D-men.

• Cheers 2

On 7/6/2024 at 4:01 PM, DeNiro said:

It worked out well for Noah Dobson. I agree though, it seems like a lot of highly touted defensemen in the Q either don't end up making it in the NHL or end up as bottom pair guys. Chabot is the only other high profile defenseman to come out of the Q recently that has excelled (that I can remember off the top of my head, sure I'm forgetting a few).

• Cheers 1

His calling card will always be playing as physical defensive D. The advantage of playing in the QMJHL for him would be learning the smaller ice and making quicker decisions and proper gap control. I doubt he will ever develop an offensive portion of the game, but he needs to learn how to quickly transition to the forwards. Lots of ice time which will be the biggest plus. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 4:01 PM, DeNiro said:

I agree. At least when he plays against men, he'll develop good habits. The Q is just too much of a shit show. Im not holding my breath of this guy making it though. If Basile even becomes an AHL regular, thats already a win