(Trade) Tanev's UFA Rights to Toronto

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

This morning’s rumour is they are offering 4X$6M. If so good luck Chris.

Huge respect for him as person and player but $6M is way too much as is 4 years. 

Given how costs are going to continue to rocket up with cap inflation, I'd be fine if we offered 5x5 front loaded. 

Hughes-tanev would be worth it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Given how costs are going to continue to rocket up with cap inflation, I'd be fine if we offered 5x5 front loaded. 

Tanev at 40 will have no ankles, knees or teeth left the way he plays. 
I guess if there are no penalties for him retiring early or he is comfortable moving to Robidas island, give him as much term as he wants.  
He is a true warrior and if that is what Q wants then give it to him. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

God no. Tanev is done. Wouldn't offer him anything more than 5 mill on a 2 year deal. Let Maple Laughs be stupid. I read last night 6 years 4 million.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Tanev at 40 will have no ankles, knees or teeth left the way he plays. 
I guess if there are no penalties for him retiring early or he is comfortable moving to Robidas island, give him as much term as he wants.  
He is a true warrior and if that is what Q wants then give it to him. 

He's 34 so there's no cap issues that way. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

God no. Tanev is done. Wouldn't offer him anything more than 5 mill on a 2 year deal. Let Maple Laughs be stupid. I read last night 6 years 4 million.

I was out on Tanev until someone pointed out, if he signs long term, he can retire without any cap penalty.

Front load that son of a bitch as much as we’re able and let er rip.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Treliving has had eyes for Tanev since the executive left Calgary. 

Why wouldn't he?

Tanev is precisely the type of heart-and-soul defender the Leafs should target.

The right shot (and GTA product) can help stabilize a risk-taking lefty (ask Quinn Hughes), take on 18 or 19 minutes of tough defensive assignments, and busy himself with the unpleasant business of killing penalties, D-zone starts and eating three square meals of pucks a day. Health can be a concern for the 34-year-old veteran because he plays such a gritty, honest game. 

The catch here is twofold: (a) Tanev wants term, which is a risky proposition considering the wear on the player's tires, and (b) he has plenty of suitors (Dallas, Ottawa, Vancouver among them) which could drive up the price.

After dealing for Tanev's rights Saturday, Treliving is said to be pressing the defenceman to sign a six- or seven-year deal with a friendly cap hit.

Treliving tried trading for a Tanev-Zadorov package in the fall, when the six-foot-six Russian ended up in Vancouver.

Again, the GM knows the player. Loves the player.

Zadorov's superb performance in the playoffs (four goals, eight points in 13 games) only ratcheted up his stock ahead of his best chance to get paid.

The Canucks would like to keep him. Is he not a Rick Tocchet type player? But Zadorov's asking price — $5 million times six years — is steep.

We like the player. We'd like him a lot more if that price drops.

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

I have a feeling tanev doesn’t want to play in TO

money talks at his age .

Rumour / Spec is Tanev to TO ,

on a 3 - 4m x 6 yr….  34 yrs old > 40yrs old

From what I understand that spreads the cap hit so it’s manageable, and if CT retires he still gets paid but it’s off the books ??

Isnt that Cap “circumventing” ?

Isnt that why we were hit with Luongo’s Contract ?

So if they get 3 years out of him he’s making 6-8 mil for 3 years of work.. 

Basically the money goes in the bank like a retirement package..

id sign that , who wouldn’t?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Imo Dallas has been overrated, benn and Seguin suck. 

Benn is running out of gas and Oettinger did nothing to instill confidence in that group, if we won Game 7 against Edmonton were talking about the Canucks 4th Finals appearance right now. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

My Gaud! Team-mates with pug face Austin! Yuck  😵‍💫

It's to get that AAV down as low as possible.  Likely Tanev wants $5M x 4, so $20Mish.  Toronto's offer is "minimum of 6 years"... which means they want the AAV down under $4M ($20 over 6 years = $3.33M AAV).