(Trade) Tanev's UFA Rights to Toronto

Day 1 of FA is a gonna be a gong show...GM's tend to overpay for contracts that are far to long. IMO The best deals tend to come in day 2 and after.

I'm sure JR/PA will take their shot at a player or two that they REALLY want, I just hope they don't sell the farm to get them. 

JR/PA have been in this position a lot over the years so we kinda have to trust their process at this point. They did well last season.

There might be a couple teams that sign players and put themselves over the CAP that will have to trade roster players to get compliant before the start of the season. Seems to happen every season IMO, if were patient we might be able to pick up some NHL roster players that way as well. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But real talk, if Toronto's willing to do something silly with a 5-8 year deal to bring down the cap hit, go for it

Lol they're going to sign Tanev till 43 yr.

There seriously needs to be consequences if the team is handing out this contract knowing the player will unlikely play out their contract. This is cap circumventing, no?

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We're not getting Guentzel. Part of the reason Tampa moved all the cap space was to sign him.

Tampa is on the way down and the Canucks are on the way up… 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, we got fucked by the league with the Luongo deal. 

League should have just rejected the deal. Had an emergency GM meeting. And put in some limits to contracts right then and there.

Gillis set of a chain of events that got just crazy. It didn't even save much on his cap hit that was the worst part.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Billabong said:

Kinda wish the Canucks would do something like this with Guentzel just to expedite the process 

I think they would if they knew for sure he wasn't going to just walk 3 days later. 

There's no guarantee that Toronto can sign Tanev.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I think they would if they knew for sure he wasn't going to just walk 3 days later. 

There's no guarantee that Toronto can sign Tanev.

If Tanev doesn't agree to Toronto that would be hilarious.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But real talk, if Toronto's willing to do something silly with a 5-8 year deal to bring down the cap hit, go for it

I actually thought the player had to be on your reserve list at the deadline to get 8 years.

That is why some teams do a sign and trade so they can get that 8th year in the offer.

If Dallas wasn’t letting teams talk to Tanev and increase the return, it is a decent chance he knows where he wants to go and it would just make teams shy away after talking to him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

League should have just rejected the deal. Had an emergency GM meeting. And put in some limits to contracts right then and there.

Gillis set of a chain of events that got just crazy. It didn't even save much on his cap hit that was the worst part.

Or at least been consistent when they punished teams...Canucks are the only team that received the full force of the new rule, correct?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Tampa is on the way down and the Canucks are on the way up… 

We seem to be on the verge of possibly losing some good players to free agency.

Are you predicting our farm team is going to pick up the slack?

I'm not saying we're going down. But it looks like we'd be lucky to stay where we are.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I actually thought the player had to be on your reserve list at the deadline to get 8 years.

That is why some teams do a sign and trade so they can get that 8th year in the offer.

If Dallas wasn’t letting teams talk to Tanev and increase the return, it is a decent chance he knows where he wants to go and it would just make teams shy away after talking to him.

Yeah, there was an updated tweet 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Offloading Marner and adding Zadorov-Tanev as a pairing actually makes Toronto much stronger.

Of course the contracts they may have to hand out also close that window pretty fast.  As much as I love Tanev, signing him to a 5-7 year deal is career suicide for a GM.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Provost said:

Offloading Marner and adding Zadorov-Tanev as a pairing actually makes Toronto much stronger.

Of course the contracts they may have to hand out also close that window pretty fast.  As much as I love Tanev, signing him to a 5-7 year deal is career suicide for a GM.

Marner to Utah?

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We seem to be on the verge of possibly losing some good players to free agency.

Are you predicting our farm team is going to pick up the slack?

I'm not saying we're going down. But it looks like we'd be lucky to stay where we are.

I think you are right for next year, but then we start having help on the way from the farm and a bit more flexibility.

Tampa is losing a much better calibre of players than we are and they were already starting to get long in the tooth.