(Trade) Tanev's UFA Rights to Toronto

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might not be buyers at the deadline if we went with that blueline…

Guentzel Pettersson Hoglander

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

PDG Aman Podkolzin 

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Hronek

Freidman Myers

Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

you’re telling me that team doesn’t make the playoffs because of Friedmans 14 sheltered minutes a game? That team is better than last years team. They’d make the playoffs with that roster.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

But real talk, if Toronto's willing to do something silly with a 5-8 year deal to bring down the cap hit, go for it

A max deal is crazy.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Are they thinking of a similar deal as Stamkos in Tampa. Longer term, shorter AAV. Would make more sense for a guy like Tanev who might only have 2 or 3 good seasons left. If that, depending on how well the duct tape holding him together is.

• Like 1

Tanev joining our arch nemesis the Flames was a salty enough blow. If he now joins the Leafs, he will have truly pissed all over his own legacy. Don’t do it Chris. There is still good in you.

59 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

PDG Aman Podkolzin 

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Hronek

Freidman Myers

Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

you’re telling me that team doesn’t make the playoffs because of Friedmans 14 sheltered minutes a game? That team is better than last years team. They’d make the playoffs with that roster.

no this team doesn't make the playoff because soucy is a regular top 4.. he's a bottom pairing defenceman that can occasionally slot in the top 4.. soucy myers freidman in your top 6? god bless

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

PDG Aman Podkolzin 

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Hronek

Freidman Myers

Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

You absolutely should not separate Myers from Soucy. The only reason we stopped pretending the guy is trash is cause Soucy is there to bail him out. Friedman is not that guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You absolutely should not separate Myers from Soucy. The only reason we stopped pretending the guy is trash is cause Soucy is there to bail him out. Friedman is not that guy.

If you look at the stats for pairings, when Myers was with the other guys last year he was awful.  Soucy’s numbers didn’t change that much regardless of who he was with.

Together he and Soucy were ok but not great as a 3rd pairing.  If we go into the season with them as a 3rd pairing we are good.  If we go into the season with them as a 2nd pairing we will not be good.

• Like 1

Just now, Provost said:

If you look at the stats for pairings, when Myers was with the other guys last year he was awful.  Soucy’s numbers didn’t change that much regardless of who he was with.

Together he and Soucy were ok but not great as a 3rd pairing.  If we go into the season with them as a 3rd pairing we are good.  If we go into the season with them as a 2nd pairing we will not be good.

Yeah, this is why I wanted to use that cap for an actual top 4 D instead of bringing back a 3mil, fringe sort of top 4 but not really guy. But, evidently that's a hot take.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no this team doesn't make the playoff because soucy is a regular top 4.. he's a bottom pairing defenceman that can occasionally slot in the top 4.. soucy myers freidman in your top 6? god bless

What exactly is different from what we had last year when we were first in the west for most of the season? Zadorov during the season was a 3rd pairing for us. It’s hard to believe replacing both Cole and Zadorov for Tanev and one of Friedman or Juulsen and all of a sudden a team that played to almost 1rst in the west is all of a sudden not even a playoff team. Also the reason the last LD isn’t to the standard you’d like is because the money you spent adding another potential 80+ point player to the roster that we didn’t have before. Hard to believe with all those players that team isn’t good enough.

29 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I agree I just didn’t want to put Friedman on a pair with Hronek and I don’t think we should put Hronek with Hughes. Need him to earn his contract and anchor his own line!

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

5+ years for Tanev? Good God. I don’t even think Benning is that retarded.

6 Years for a guy that can't stay healthy. Calling it now he doesn't play more than 60 games any season of the contract

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

What exactly is different from what we had last year when we were first in the west for most of the season? Zadorov during the season was a 3rd pairing for us. It’s hard to believe replacing both Cole and Zadorov for Tanev and one of Friedman or Juulsen and all of a sudden a team that played to almost 1rst in the west is all of a sudden not even a playoff team. Also the reason the last LD isn’t to the standard you’d like is because the money you spent adding another potential 80+ point player to the roster that we didn’t have before. Hard to believe with all those players that team isn’t good enough.

difference? soucy hardly played and he's like at 17mins in the regular season.. hardly a top 4 minute defenceman? and now you want to rely on him to be a 20min ish top 4 defenceman? he's a 3rd pairing guy his career with occasional top 4 minutes 

I like Tanev as a player and a person. But I've moved on. There's a lot of mileage on him. It showed in the playoffs, it was more difficult for him. I'll never doubt his work ethic.

If he was here a on reasonable deal I'm ok with it. A bidding war. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

6 Years for a guy that can't stay healthy. Calling it now he doesn't play more than 60 games any season of the contract

he played 75 games this season and 65 the season before but played every available game the 3 seasons prior. 

27 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I agree I just didn’t want to put Friedman on a pair with Hronek and I don’t think we should put Hronek with Hughes. Need him to earn his contract and anchor his own line!

Honestly, I think we'd be better off getting Dillon and hoping Juulsen can carry a bit more of the load this season. Keep Soucy and Myers together. Run back Hronek and Huggy until Willander is ready. We don't have the cap for much else.

Or we can double down on adding D and try add Tanev and Dillon. But Tanev might get the bag somewhere. Even Utah might throw the bag at him to try make a playoff push. Chicago was apparently willing to move their 1st next year, unprotected. So they might be trying to fast track their rebuild as well. This also means we're bargain bin diving for Petey wingers. Sadly. Interesting summer, want to see where management prioritizes that cap.

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

But real talk, if Toronto's willing to do something silly with a 5-8 year deal to bring down the cap hit, go for it

Analytics has Tanev at 4.5 x 2 years.   That would be pure idiocy 

• ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

difference? soucy hardly played and he's like at 17mins in the regular season.. hardly a top 4 minute defenceman? and now you want to rely on him to be a 20min ish top 4 defenceman? he's a 3rd pairing guy his career with occasional top 4 minutes 

What was the defence last year. Who was the top 4? Cole played 18:40 average and Soucy played 17:30. Just because he’s top 4 doesn’t mean he’s 20+ minutes a night. You’d be asking him to play 1 more minute of hockey! It’s just crazy to me that you think Soucy playing a minute to a minute and a half more means we’re not a playoff team. All while in this scenario the only reason you have to ask him to do it because you added Guentzel to the roster. Then come deadline you add a dman that’s better in that spot. I think that d especially with the addition to our top line can keep us comfortably in a playoff spot until we can upgrade that defence at the deadline.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

What was the defence last year. Who was the top 4? Cole played 18:40 average and Soucy played 17:30. Just because he’s top 4 doesn’t mean he’s 20+ minutes a night. You’d be asking him to play 1 more minute of hockey! It’s just crazy to me that you think Soucy playing a minute to a minute and a half more means we’re not a playoff team. All while in this scenario the only reason you have to ask him to do it because you added Guentzel to the roster. Then come deadline you add a dman that’s better in that spot. I think that d especially with the addition to our top line can keep us comfortably in a playoff spot until we can upgrade that defence at the deadline.

just because he's top 4 doesn't mean he has to pay 20+ minutes a night? ok sure you can play him 18 19mins. are you putting him up all of a sudden against the other teams top pairing? are you tossing him out as the go to line in a defensive draw? is he out on the ice the last minute of a game defending a lead? he has the lowest defensive zone starts out of the 4 not named hughes and hronek when the game is close or when the score is tied even lower than zadorov.. and now all of a sudden he's going to be your top pairing in the defensive role?