[Speculation] Necas future uncertain, almost traded to CBJ

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet writes that the Carolina Hurricanes could change their mind on trading forward Martin Necas. The Hurricanes have been trying to sign pending unrestricted free agent Jake Guentzel and if he leaves Friedman believes the team could keep Necas and go to arbitration or sign a one-year deal. Carolina let the Columbus Blue Jackets negotiate a contract extension with Necas in an attempt to trade for the fourth overall pick, but the two sides weren’t able to reach an agreement.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/free-agency-notes-wedgewood-girgensons-necas.html#ref=home

I posted this question on Drancers Twitter account his morning in light of the Guentzel news: Would you be willing to trade Willander or Lek and a 2nd to CAR for Necas and Pesce's rights IF we could work out a sign and trade with Pesce prior to the deal? Gives us both needs for years to come and keeps us in our competitive window now. In essence Necas replaces Lek albeit a few years older or Pesce replaces Will albeit much older, but also proven. We still keep 1 of them which, IMO should be Will since wingers are easier to replace. 

47 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I posted this question on Drancers Twitter account his morning in light of the Guentzel news: Would you be willing to trade Willander or Lek and a 2nd to CAR for Necas and Pesce's rights IF we could work out a sign and trade with Pesce prior to the deal? Gives us both needs for years to come and keeps us in our competitive window now. In essence Necas replaces Lek albeit a few years older or Pesce replaces Will albeit much older, but also proven. We still keep 1 of them which, IMO should be Will since wingers are easier to replace. 

I'd have a hard think about it but I think it would depend on the contracts to Necas and Pesce. If it could be Lek + 2nd for the Pesce and Necas on reasonable deals then I think I do it. I wouldn't do Willander though.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'd have a hard think about it but I think it would depend on the contracts to Necas and Pesce. If it could be Lek + 2nd for the Pesce and Necas on reasonable deals then I think I do it. I wouldn't do Willander though.

The ask for Necas alone is far more than that 

52 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

No way Carolina would do that

1 minute ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

The ask for Necas is bat shit crazy! The fact Columbus was going to part with 4th overall for Necas in any manner is cuckoo bananas

At this point just offer sheet him.

Columbus is such a confusing organization.

They’re nowhere close to contending and they were willing to give up a 4th overall pick?? That’s beyond stupid.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re nowhere close to contending and they were willing to give up a 4th overall pick?? That’s beyond stupid.

In a weak draft for an established 25 year old.  Not like they are trying to get a 30 year old. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

In a weak draft for an established 25 year old.  Not like they are trying to get a 30 year old. 

Define “established”.

At this point is he a 70 point player or a 50 point guy? That’s hardly proven.

It’s a weak draft outside the top 5. They could have taken Demidov or Iginla with that pick. Likely impact players who will be cost controlled by the time they resemble an NHL caliber team again.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Define “established”.

At this point is he a 70 point player or a 50 point guy? That’s hardly proven.

It’s a weak draft outside the top 5. They could have taken Demidov or Iginla with that pick. Likely impact players who will be cost controlled by the time they resemble an NHL caliber team again.

A legit NHL player with 5 years in league that has significant value on the open market and is still young vs magic beans. 
‘I am not saying it was the best thing but it isn’t like he was trying to trade a high pic for a washed up Subban and at some point they need to start getting better. 

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.. its just another case of The Blue Jackets always doing what The Blue Jackets do best! Fail! At least this time they didn't pull the trigger. 

I'm sure it has a lot to do with Don Waddell having a hard on for Necas from there time in Carolina but Necas isn't a #1 guy. He's not going to carry a team on his back. 

You don't give up a top 5 pick for that.

6 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Exactly.. its just another case of The Blue Jackets always doing what The Blue Jackets do best! Fail! At least this time they didn't pull the trigger. 

I'm sure it has a lot to do with Don Waddell having a hard on for Necas from there time in Carolina but Necas isn't a #1 guy. He's not going to carry a team on his back. 

You don't give up a top 5 pick for that.

Better off to keep building like Buffalo🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A legit NHL player with 5 years in league that has significant value on the open market and is still young vs magic beans. 
‘I am not saying it was the best thing but it isn’t like he was trying to trade a high pic for a washed up Subban and at some point they need to start getting better. 

Magic beans?  Ivan Demidov was on the board still at 4.. & of course in typical Blue Jackets fashion they passed on him. That dude will be 10x better than Necas. It won't even be close in 2-3 years. Columbus is NO WHERE close to competing. Even with Necas on the roster. No need to panic trade.

The top part of this draft wasnt "Magic Beans" 

Trading ANY top 10 pick is just poor asset management regardless of the draft... Especially in a Salary Cap world. 

How did that OEL trade for 9th overall work out again? 

Canucks traded away The "Magic Beans" and got a Can of expired Swedish Beans! 

Granted an older player than Necas but someone who also "Had" value in the market.

Doesn't always work out for the team trading the picks! 

11 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Magic beans?  Ivan Demidov was on the board still at 4.. & of course in typical Blue Jackets fashion they passed on him. That dude will be 10x better than Necas. It won't even be close in 2-3 years. Columbus is NO WHERE close to competing. Even with Necas on the roster. No need to panic trade.

The top part of this draft wasnt "Magic Beans" 

Trading ANY top 10 pick is just poor asset management regardless of the draft... Especially in a Salary Cap world. 

How did that OEL trade for 9th overall work out again? 

Canucks traded away The "Magic Beans" and got a Can of expired Swedish Beans! 

Granted an older player than Necas but someone who also "Had" value in the market.

Doesn't always work out for the team trading the picks! 

If their scouts thought where getting better the player then good on them.  
Lots of high pics look great until they hit the league. It’s a numbers game. 
At some point the fans want to see something more than another prospect a few years away too.

Different pressures in different markets, CBJ is likely not a market that can tolerate a Buffalo level rebuild. 
Meh, who cares ultimately . CBJ

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Anyone else think / feel Carolina is a bit of a mess ?

Outside of Slavin and Aho, I've never really been impressed with their core honestly.

I do admire that they're a perennial playoff team, but I don't think they're going to be anything more than that.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I’d do it

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Anyone else think / feel Carolina is a bit of a mess ?

The problem there is you can only be cheap for so long like right down to pinching pennies on Brind’Amour who if became a free agent right now 31 teams would consider him.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Maybe Hogs or Pods and a 1st?  I'd like to think that Lek and Wills are both untouchables.

Edited by coho8888