Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Carolina is under no obligation to help them with that, and the price to help out a rival was likely too high.

No, but it would gave allowed both sides to maximize return. Tampa could potentially get a lower cap hit with a full 8 year term, Carolina could have demanded a better return. 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

This Guentzel mania is crazy.

He is a good player, but not some elite superstar.  It seems like a third of the teams in the league are actively clearing space or pursuing him.

I don’t get how deducting Sergachev and Stamkos and adding Guentzel makes Tampa better.

Sergachev from now on will be an injury risk. And although LTIR is nice to use, it sucks when it’s a player of major importance to the club that ends up shelved. I can understand them trading him while he still has value and early into that mega contract.

Stamkos is a shocker but I would not be surprised if they make one more $$ trade and end up bringing him back in. Cernak’s cap hit would cover Stamkos and I wouldn’t be surprised if he circles back to TB after (if) they ink Guentzel. It gives teams hope that there’s another top flight UFA available and perhaps shifts perception, which could just be more smoke and mirrors to hide true intentions while they manoeuvre through the process. Maybe I’m just skeptical though…have a real hard time imagining Stamkos not retiring in their jersey but loyalty isn’t what it used to be in today’s billion dollar franchises NHL

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

No, but it would gave allowed both sides to maximize return. Tampa could potentially get a lower cap hit with a full 8 year term, Carolina could have demanded a better return. 

I suspect Carolina did have a price but imagine if it's us dealing with Dallas eg, if we were helping a conference rival I'd want a ton back. 

• Cheers 1

Most of the time, rights being traded results in the player getting signed, but it has happened several times where a deal cannot be reached by the new team either.  Examples in recent history...

Dan Hamhuis

Christian Ehrhoff

Dan Boyle

All 3 hit UFA anyway.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Weird he's still not locked up by Florida...

Agree... people talking like its a done deal he stays but gotta be a reason its not been done by now. Probably Florida looking to save some $$$ now they have won the big one. That being said you would have thought they would have traded his rights already if they really thought it wasn't getting done given the prices being paid right now for those. 

Out of all these i'd love it if we got Sam - he's a home town boy, absolute class, huge IQ, can play C or W, him and Petey could really click and he's the best age fit of all these FA's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

It may just be a matter of seeing what the free agent prices are to help determine market rate.

I don’t see any reason why either side would want to move on.

Who knows... maybe they are eyeing Stamkos which could save them a few million in cap... allowing them to keep Ekblad.