Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

i think with JG most likely signing in tampa this gives us a chance to hopefully round out our scoring with guys like tervainen etc we also now have 9mill of cap we were going to use on JG to easily fill our defence holes 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Rather than people trying to pre-maturely cope with disappointment (that isn't even a dealed deal yet), why don't we just wait another 24 hours?

We certainly could, but I highly doubt anyone is giving up a 3rd for someones negotiating rights if they didn't at least think they had a really good chance at signing them. 

Just now, TopCheese said:

i think with JG most likely signing in tampa this gives us a chance to hopefully round out our scoring with guys like tervainen etc we also now have 9mill of cap we were going to use on JG to easily fill our defence holes 

Problem though is that he's primarily a player maker, albeit with elite offensive instincts. We need a scorer.

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

But Canucks are fumbling here I feel. Leafs, Utah, and now the Bolts have went ahead of the Canucks in securing either a player or their rights 

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

Why didn't we trade Zadorov's rights to someone instead of announcing he's testing free agency?

I think that we were actually trying to sign him right up until the last minute.  Trading his rights wouldn't have helped that process.  GCG!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Wow.....who's this Guentzel kid, you'd think he was the second coming of Wayne Gretzky?..................lol.  He wasn't great enough for the Hurricanes to get past the Rangers.

He was the only reason they even had a shot. 9 pts in 11 games, lets not be ignorant here 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m really surprised negotiating rights cost so much still when other teams can still talk to the player and agent.

It used to be that you got exclusive negotiations with the player but not anymore.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

For regular people yes, for the elite no.

Theres still plenty of loopholes to get around it.

Tavaras being threatened to pay back 8 million says alot about the "loop holes". 

Maybe he wants to play in a big market where hockey is top dog 

maybe he even wants to try a Canadian market 

look how much fun Hughes, Demko and miller are having now 

Vancouver is city in world with most Americans in it outside of USA of course 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

FA hasn’t even started yet. Calm down. 

Maybe but the moves Toronto, Utah, and Tampa made kind of blocks plan A and plan B for the Canucks.

Obviously Plan A would have been Guentzel but if he's signed with another team the next plan is to maybe add two defensemen and one cheaper winger. 

So I think if Guentzel is signed by Tampa, along with Tanev. The avenue for Canucks to improve becomes slimmer and even if they get some players, making Guentzel and Tanev unavailable before Free Agency, it probably increases the asking price of the remaining free agents. 

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe but the moves Toronto, Utah, and Tampa made kind of blocks plan A and plan B for the Canucks.

Obviously Plan A would have been Guentzel but if he's signed with another team the next plan is to maybe add two defensemen and one cheaper winger. 

So I think if Guentzel is signed by Tampa, along with Tanev. The avenue for Canucks to improve becomes slimmer and even if they get some players, making Guentzel and Tanev unavailable before Free Agency, it probably increases the asking price of the remaining free agents. 

Talks are not close with Guentzel and Tampa, Carolina is still the only team that can offer 8 years. So far all Tampa has done is give a 3rd round pick for air. 

The only way Toronto can sign Tanev is signing him til he’s over 40 with an absolute albatross of a contract. So all I see is 2 teams that have paid to get worse and Utah. 

Edited by canuck73_3

17 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Wow.....who's this Guentzel kid, you'd think he was the second coming of Wayne Gretzky?..................lol.  He wasn't great enough for the Hurricanes to get past the Rangers.

You can't knock down a team getting eliminated against the President Trophy winners and the Canucks couldn't get past the 2nd round either. 

Analysts believe getting a player like Guentzel will propel the team to be a top 3 team in the West. Since the Canucks are obviously in win now mode, they need to make sure to make it happen.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Says more about his accountant. 🤣

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Maybe he wants to play in a big market where hockey is top dog 

maybe he even wants to try a Canadian market 

look how much fun Hughes, Demko and miller are having now 

Vancouver is city in world with most Americans in it outside of USA of course 

Canucks also have a TON of Americans the team. Could be leverage. Having Pettersson as your regular center is leverage to. Saying that Brayden Point as a center is quite compelling as well.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

It does become slimmer but nothings happened yet it’s just rights. Canucks management want Guentzel but obviously either didn’t want to part with a 3rd round pick especially with our lack of draft capital and also doing so you’re almost obligated to give Guentzel the 8 years instead of 7 during FA. Tanev has no pressure to sign as he clearly isn’t getting 8 years so he’s waiting for sure so that’s wasted assets by the leafs.

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Let’s not ignore that to make this work they shipped out Jeannot and Sergachev for peanuts. 

so they need and if they miss on Guentzel they still need a winger and replacements for Jeannot, Moser is not as good as Sergachev either so they will likely need a reliable depth dman too.