Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If I'm JG, I seriously consider Vancouver.  If he feels he can take Pettersson's offence to the next level, then surely the Canucks would be a legitimate Cup winning threat for several years.  Not many teams could boast a 40 goal scorer on each of the top 2 lines, plus a Norris winning defenceman and a Vezina candidate goaltender.

Jack Adam's coach of the year and GM of the year candidate.  Young elite core with elite prospects in the wings, as long as we don't mess this up we can be a great team for many years to come, we are the team to come play for if you want to be a contender for many years moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Would be pretty funny if Guentzel and Tanev signed here after their rights were acquired by TBL and Toronto lol

I think this is very possible 

I know that the leaves the right side very strong and left side weak on the last pair but Friedman was ok and hirose, D EP could also work their for a half season then we add at deadline 

I could also see Dillon going 3x3 here instead of Tanev 

• Cheers 1

this whole situation is confusing me. With teams being able to talk to UFA’s as of the 25th, why would you use a pick to get signing rights before hand? If you know he’s going to sign, just wait… conversely, if you’re not sure why use the pick this late in the game? 

• Cheers 1

This was posted on thescore like 2 hours ago.

Report: Lightning, Guentzel agree to terms on contract

The Tampa Bay Lightning and pending unrestricted free agent Jake Guentzel have agreed to terms on a contract, sources told Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli.

Details of the pact have yet to be finalized, but all signs point to a seven-year deal, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

The Bolts traded a 2025 third-round pick to the Hurricanes to acquire his rights earlier on Sunday. Guentzel and Carolina were reportedly negotiating an eight-year, $64-million pact before the trade.

News broke that Tampa Bay was setting its sights on the prized winger after creating cap space by trading Mikhail Sergachev and Tanner Jeannot on Saturday.

Carolina acquired Guentzel from the Pittsburgh Penguins in a pre-deadline blockbuster. He notched 25 points in 17 games with the Hurricanes, and he added nine more in the playoffs as the club bowed out in the second round at the hands of the New York Rangers.

Guentzel is a two-time 40-goal-scorer, and he won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2017. His arrival in Tampa Bay adds another weapon to an already potent attack that features Nikita Kucherov, Brayden Point, and Brandon Hagel.

The 29-year-old could be a replacement for captain Steven Stamkos, who's testing the market Monday after 16 years with the Lightning.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2933702

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

@RWJC Not sure why u locked your thread.  It sounds like the deal is in fact done.  Just no details yet.

I didn’t want to confuse anyone any further. Sorry - I’m a little fucked up at the hospital right now and struggling a bit. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Huggy Bear 3