Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

Not a coincidence that some of the most recent cup winners are Vegas and the Florida teams.  Could you imagine if the NHL rejigged the cap so that only taxable income counts towards the cap?

That'll never happen as it pretty much would only help Canadian teams, but one can dream.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good accountants can get around that, it’s not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Yes, and no. A good accountant can definitely help, but it is a big deal. There's a reason why no/low tax teams always get to sign their players cheaper. It's 100% an advantage when it comes to signing players.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes, and no. A good accountant can definitely help, but it is a big deal. There's a reason why no/low tax teams always get to sign their players cheaper. It's 100% an advantage when it comes to signing players.

Making USD in Canada also helps.

And I’m sure the Aquilinis give these players good deals on rent or real estate. 😉

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

So… Carolina is out of the race? :hurhur:

The number of reports by 'insiders' is crazy and it turns out that most, if not all of them, are inaccurate as hell. Satiar Shah, for example, who I really like as a commentator is no insider. He had previously indicated that the Canucks' chances of signing Guentzel was >50 percent or higher. Then there's a report that Carolina was close to re-signing with the Canes, but his rights are now traded away.

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The number of reports by 'insiders' is crazy and it turns out that most, if not all of them, are inaccurate as hell. Satiar Shah, for example, who I really like as a commentator is no insider. He had previously indicated that the Canucks' chances of signing Guentzel was >50 percent or higher. Then there's a report that Carolina was close to re-signing with the Canes, but his rights are now traded away.

turns out that most everything in the press these days is conjecture or planted by agent or management. Who knew🤷‍♀️

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

It is possible but people have high standards. The studs were never going to sign in Van.

That’s true too. Sometimes I buy into the hype here that everyone pushes. As in we’re trading our cows for everyone else’s magic beans and it’ll work out and then player x & y are all signing here beneath league value 😂

Every team competes. I think Utah is in a very good position. Made some smart trades and have a boatload of young good players and prospects +34,000,000 in cap space. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

turns out that most everything in the press these days is conjecture or planted by agent or management. Who knew🤷‍♀️

Media guys are lazy, they'll pump out whatever is fed to them. 

We have people in here with far more thoughtful takes than most of the hockey media.

• Cheers 3

Just now, PureQuickness said:

Pretty much. I think people like Elliotte Friedman is a lot more careful about what he reveals for THIS specific reason. He has to sort through the crap through the crap.

Actually I think it is the opposite with Elliotte. He throws everything he is told out there. That is why they all use him, unfiltered torrent of rumours.