Tampa Bay acquire the rights to Jake Guentzel

56 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

3rd rounder...wow they must be fairly confident. Would be great to see them lose JG and Stamkos go elsewhere due to the disrespect?

This would be hilarious if this played out! It could because if I was Stamkos if they circled back to me I’d even take a little less from another team to leave.

8 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The number of reports by 'insiders' is crazy and it turns out that most, if not all of them, are inaccurate as hell. Satiar Shah, for example, who I really like as a commentator is no insider. He had previously indicated that the Canucks' chances of signing Guentzel was >50 percent or higher. Then there's a report that Carolina was close to re-signing with the Canes, but his rights are now traded away.

Who says all 3 things weren't true? It definitely felt at one point we were the front runners NHL wide, not just from Sat. Then it very clearly felt like the Canes met JG ask and could sign him. Both things can be true, everything Sat reported on could have been entirely true at the time, but that doesn't mean it's 100% the way it's going to turn out.

Reports are wrong all the time, all over the league. Everyone knew wrong it feels like people jump out of the woods to yell about how reporters know nothing. What about the literally dozens upon dozens every year that reporters get right? No on bats an eye when things they say come to fruition.

It's pretty silly.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes, and no. A good accountant can definitely help, but it is a big deal. There's a reason why no/low tax teams always get to sign their players cheaper. It's 100% an advantage when it comes to signing players.

I think so too. I don't know if I buy the idea that getting a good accountant to cook your numbers will nullify your taxes. Sure maybe they can offset it a little, but we're talking about millions of dollars here. 

The number don't lie. Reinhart is rumoured to sign for 9-9.5M after a 57 goal season and his playoff performance. He should commend at least 10.5-11M in the open market.

• Cheers 2

With the moves they made to clear the cap, they couldn't risk him signing elsewhere. They will sign him for whatever it takes now, hope Guentzel uses the leverage to get 10m but due to taxes he probably signs for 9.

I personally like Suter with Miller and Boeser and don't feel the need to upgrade that. We only need one winger to play with Hogs and Petey and that spot screams Lekkermaki when he is ready in a couple years so I haven't been keen on the idea of signing Guentzel or Rienhart to inflated long term deals. I prefer a vet for short term: 1. Stamkos, 2. Toffoli, 3. Marchessault

Stamkos is a bit of a pipe dream but possible. He fits really well. Can play C if we need to go 3 strong, can play wing well and is a shooter to play beside Petey. He is experienced and a great leader.

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Stamkos

Joshua Bluegar Garland

PDG Aman Karlsson

Pod, Raty

(would love to improve 4c for cheap unless they feel Raty is ready).

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Dillon (hopefully) Juulsen

Friedman

Stamkos and Dillon priorities with 3rd pair RD and 4C as potential upgrade spots if cap is available. 

Just now, Wing said:

I think so too. I don't know if I buy the idea that getting a good accountant to cook your numbers will nullify your taxes. Sure maybe they can offset it a little, but we're talking about millions of dollars here. 

The number don't lie. Reinhart is rumoured to sign for 9-9.5M after a 57 goal season and his playoff performance. He should commend at least 10.5-11M in the open market.

No tax 100% makes a sizable difference. I've had the numbers, done the leg work in the past but it was in a post long gone. But it's 100% a factor.

• Cheers 1

Pit just picked up a washed up Hayes, has an inconsistent overpriced Jarry on the market with no takers, and are looking to stockpile picks going forward, basically saying to Sid “sorry bud, it’s time to tear it down”.

i know it sounds far fetched but if I was PAJR I’d be leaning into Dubas to see if there is any possibility that Sid would consider a trade. I know it sounds stupid, but that’s one direction I would at least be investigating. Trade cost would likely be enormous and COL would be all over it too, but if we were holding back cap for Guentzel, I’d allocate all of that to Crosby in a heartbeat. Biggest dilemma, does QH remain team captain? Jk 

Sid is apparently willing to negotiate an extension in PIT, but hard to believe he has faith or any affinity in Dubas and his vision after he traded away his favourite linemate and is sinking the ship with Sid et al still on deck. I think we potentially see PIT intentionally be disintegrated this season. 

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Think he's come to the west coast? Guess it depends on the scratch..

He is going to want to come here/Canada. Other teams will be able to match what we can offer but we may be the closest contenders. Off the top of my head his list should include Vancouver, Nashville, Carolina and to a lesser extent LAK. I don't see how Vegas makes it work though it hasn't stopped them before. Other teams may have the space but aren't as close to contending.

Just now, NoHeart said:

One of the major reasons this team has never won a Stanley cup is the Huge mistakes we make on July 1st. I know everyone is all pumped up for this guy but we rarely, and I mean very, very rarely make good July 1st decisions over $4m/yr. 

When have we ever been in a position to land a top free agent?

We’ve always been cap strapped or not a destination free agents want to come to.

I would say we’re in a very rare position where we’re a good team and we have quite a bit of cap.

That being said if they’re not getting Guentzel then they need to spread that cap around and get as much depth as possible. Two D men and two top 9 forwards and cheaper short term deals.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tas said:

this reminds me of dan hamhuis in the summer of 2010.

let's see if the canucks get their man again. 

Hammer wanted to come home. Guentzel Supposedly loves some old man he rarely interacted with so much that he wants to pack up his family and move across the continent to rarely interact with him some more. Nobody loves their coach or general manager that much, he never indicated ever that he wanted to come to Vancouver. It’s all a complete fabrication by the media. He was likely never coming here. I’m extremely happy that we aren’t making another huge mistake like we do every year for the past 56 years. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When have we ever been in a position to land a top free agent?

We’ve always been cap strapped or not a destination free agents want to come to.

I would say we’re in a very rare position where we’re a good team and we have quite a bit of cap.

That being said if they’re not getting Guentzel then they need to spread that cap around and get as much depth as possible. Two D men and two top 9 forwards and cheaper short term deals.

We are cap strapped because every GM we have had suddenly goes on the spectrum from 11:45pm June 30th to July 1st at 11:59pm. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

One of the major reasons this team has never won a Stanley cup is the Huge mistakes we make on July 1st. I know everyone is all pumped up for this guy but we rarely, and I mean very, very rarely make good July 1st decisions over $4m/yr. 

I agree 

last year we did well though 

JB, Nonis a lot of bad moves 

Gillis rarely had cap 

7 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I still like this, start the year strong and pick up a scoring winger at the TDL

I’d go for Trouba with retention from New York if he’d waive to come here. Stick with the big physical D men.

Hughes Trouba

Zadorov Hronek

Soucy Myers

Try and land a top 6 with the remaining money. Or bring in a project like Skinner for 1 year.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, German Canuck said:

NO

The canucks are in a great position and dont have to do wild things.

Canucks only have four Top 6 players. Suter is not a Top 6 player.

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

? - Petey - ?

Maybe five if Lekkerimaki makes the team. Petey needs quality wingers.

The D

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

? - Juulsen

Friedman

I'm not too confident in this D core

I think the Canucks need to do some wild things. 

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope they sign him and that it backfires, dumping Stamkos for him leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I'd be thrilled if someone else locked him in, I'd rather go after multiple medium sized assets. 

For me it's either stamkos + LHD (Suter?) OR a combination of Dillon, Teurovainen, Debrusk, Foegele, Duihame. I'd say Marchessault but he's a little small for our line up and the price I think.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 1